Old games running on the Raspberry Pi

17 posts
by Chickenkeeper » Sat May 05, 2012 11:46 am
Seeing the successful port of Quake 3 onto the Raspberry Pi, is it possible to port practically any game from around that time onto the Pi? Two games I am interested in testing are 'American Mcgee's Alice' which was made in 2002 and runs on a slightly modified version of the Quake 3 engine (to auto lipsync the characters with their voices) and Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition, made in 1999 which I believe runs on linux natively. (and was released 10 days before Quake 3 so runs on a different engine).

Theoretically and spec-wise these games should run fine, but I am not sure whether compiling them would generate bugs or stability problems that would ruin their performance, and there's also the problem of sound which I don't think works on the Quake 3 port.
by abishur » Sat May 05, 2012 3:11 pm
Has their source code been released to the public?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Chickenkeeper » Sat May 05, 2012 4:26 pm
I think the source code for the quake 3 engine has, but I'm not sure about the Unreal engine
by Narishma » Sat May 05, 2012 6:25 pm
Chickenkeeper said:

Seeing the successful port of Quake 3 onto the Raspberry Pi, is it possible to port practically any game from around that time onto the Pi? Two games I am interested in testing are 'American Mcgee's Alice' which was made in 2002 and runs on a slightly modified version of the Quake 3 engine (to auto lipsync the characters with their voices) and Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition, made in 1999 which I believe runs on linux natively. (and was released 10 days before Quake 3 so runs on a different engine).

Theoretically and spec-wise these games should run fine, but I am not sure whether compiling them would generate bugs or stability problems that would ruin their performance, and there's also the problem of sound which I don't think works on the Quake 3 port.

American Mcgee's Alice was never released for Linux, so it won't work. UT was released for x86 Linux only, so it won't work on ARM Linux. Neither of them has the source code available so we can't port them.
by mahjongg » Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 am
The R-PI uses a different processor than the systems these old games ran on.

That means that in order to make them run, we can do either two things:

1) Translate the game code for another CPU, that means we need the games code (blueprints) to be able to translate (compile) the code for a new CPU. Obviously we also need (equivalent) hardware services that the game depends on, such as a 3D video card if the game code demands one.

2) If we do not have the blueprints, there is only one other alternative, and that is to "fake" the old system, including its CPU by using specially written software, (emulation) but that is a very slow process, as every instruction that the old CPU executed must be mimicked with software by the new CPU, and the new CPU probably needs to execute dozens of instructions for each instruction of the old CPU. Additionally we need to  mimic the hardware of the old computer too, in software.

If the older computer was -much- slower than the new one it might be possible to end up with a workable solution, but the new CPU has to be at least dozens of times faster than the old one, and the old computer should not have had too complex hardware.

In practice this means that the R-PI can run games such as quake 3 for which the source code was released at more than full speed, but for old games for which no source code is available we can only run things like old DOS games that used to run on (say) a PC equipped with a 33 MHz i386 CPU and a VGA display.

The nice thing about this "emulation" trick is that just as we could emulate one system, we can also emulate another, so it is (for example) also possible to (try to) emulate a Nintendo 64 game console, or a cray-1 supercomputer, that is as long as we have enough time (to wait for the result) and memory (to store the emulator code AND the software of the emulated system).
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by stuporhero » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:10 pm
Here to resurrect an old thread... what about this? http://openut.sourceforge.net/
by ghans » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 pm
Dormant and abandoned since 11 years.
Without OpenGLES support it'll run badly anyway.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by W. H. Heydt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:44 pm
If a game is old enough *and* is falls in the "abandonware" category, then you may find that it will run under DosBOX.

I've picked up (free!) all of the Wizardry series and have tested Wiz 1 (Proving Ground of the Mad Overlord), which runs really well in DosBOX and Wiz 7 (Crusaders of the Dark Savant) which runs okay with a moderate (900MHz) overclock.

Getting X accelerated should help in running this way.
by toxibunny » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:03 pm
This thread has over 1700 views. It's disproportionate.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by SiriusHardware » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:09 pm
toxibunny wrote:This thread has over 1700 views. It's disproportionate.

Maybe the forum is being searched by a 'bot' on a regular basis?
by W. H. Heydt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:15 pm
SiriusHardware wrote:
toxibunny wrote:This thread has over 1700 views. It's disproportionate.

Maybe the forum is being searched by a 'bot' on a regular basis?

More likely that there are a fair number of older gamers who remember what they used to play that are also Pi enthusiasts.
by SiriusHardware » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:35 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
More likely that there are a fair number of older gamers who remember what they used to play that are also Pi enthusiasts.

Well, you can certainly count me in there - but I haven't been here over a thousand times.

My vote is for Ultima Underworld (1 and 2) - anyone tried those in DOSBOX yet?

(Mods-can we take this one across to the 'Gaming' forum)?
by 7F20 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:51 am
SiriusHardware wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

Well, you can certainly count me in there - but I haven't been here over a thousand times.

My vote is for Ultima Underworld (1 and 2) - anyone tried those in DOSBOX yet?

(Mods-can we take this one across to the 'Gaming' forum)?

Ultima Underworld definitely runs in Dosbox, but not super well on a Pi. It runs like a champ on any x86 processor.

There are several threads on Dosbox here that touch on similar info but have become fragmented. People are asking the same questions over and over again without making any real progress.
Someone needs to make an official thread for information about Dosbox on the Pi with some well thought out stickies. (like a moderator or somebody who can do that sort of thing)
by Invader21 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm
I found the source code for the Original Unreal Tournament in with the UT2k3 Files on GameFront and they seem to check out. :shock:

Link: "http://www.gamefront.com/files/4379255/Unreal_Tournament_Source_Code__432_"

If anyone can manage to port this i will forever be in their debt. (Please Please Please Please <3) :ugeek:

Oh, and if at all possible, keep .umod files working or atleast make a manager for them.
that would save my uncle so much time porting his mods. Much appreciated :oops:
by goobyponysy » Fri May 24, 2013 8:15 pm
I for another would be undoubtly greatful for a ES port of UT GOTY. The powermac version has no sound and the dreamcast version is extremely difficult to find. I see a gaming force being driven by turn of the century games. A certain star wars game and half life gold also come to mind but those are done in x86/asm. It would be precious re-lived moments to play UT with Pi users across the globe.
by Invader21 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:18 am
I honestly can't believe nobody has jumped on this. I've even posted a link to the the source-code of the game that made multi-player FPSes what they are today. this could mean the revival of the LAN Tournament! will nobody come to the rescue of the dieing art of the LAN Tournament? :<
by ghans » Mon May 27, 2013 8:35 am
Hey , the Pi is about learning.
Roll your sleeves up and try it yourself .
We might help you then.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org