Video Modes

6 posts
by Emanuele » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:55 am
We know the max resolution (1920x1080), but what about other resolutions? Is it a fixed list? Is it a limitation of the hardware or of the firmware?

To be more specific. The resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024 (DVI). Will I be able to drive the monitor at native resolution. If not, any chance that a future version of the firmware will fix that?

Also, in a previous post I asked about how you select PAL vs NTSC and I got a hint from Michael that this is usually done by software. Is this confirmed?
by Gert van Loo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:35 pm
Yes, it can go down in resolution. We are still working in how the user can define these parameters. Probably a (text) configuration file on the SD-card. The same holds for the composite video output. It can do PAL-BGHID, PAL-M, PAL-N, NTSC, NTSC_J. It just a matter of programming the TV-out hardware. We might not support all standards from the beginning though.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by rpi_newbie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:58 pm
Gert said:

Yes, it can go down in resolution. We are still working in how the user can define these parameters. Probably a (text) configuration file on the SD-card. The same holds for the composite video output. It can do PAL-BGHID, PAL-M, PAL-N, NTSC, NTSC_J. It just a matter of programming the TV-out hardware. We might not support all standards from the beginning though.

Dom has created parameters for config.txt to explicitly specify the mode you want to drive (assuming it is in the EDID), otherwise the Pi will pick the native resolution (if supported) in EDID, failing that it will go through the list of supported modes and choose the "best" one via some heuristics. See discussions in the thread

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....e-4#p67227
by Chris.Rowland » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:49 pm
It seems to me that the best place for information such as video modes should be the wiki rather than various threads in the forum.  The forum is great for discussions but once there's a consensus it's easy for the information to become hidden. Search works if you know what to look for.

I'm happy to help with collating things and adding them to the wiki but I'm not sure what would be the best structure.  Where should things such as setting up config.txt go? would it be better in the Advanced Setup section or in some distribution specific section?

I'm a beginner to wikis so don't feel competent to make major changes to the format but if there's a skeleton set of pages in place I can help - it's a way of contributing, even as a beginner.
by dom » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:23 pm
by Chris.Rowland » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 pm
That's exactly what I was thinking of Don, but I didn't see the link to it.  After tracing it back I see there's a link part way down the Advanced Setup page.

Maybe what's needed is to make the link more prominent. People are asking for this sort of information quite a lot so it must be important to them.