Remote desktop application and use

14 posts
by tumblebomb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:27 pm
Well a mate of mine, who helps with a charity, has been asked to come up with a remote access solution. The users have to be a couple of rooms away from where the hardware is, a Windows 7 box, as I believe there a risk of anything expensive getting stolen.

They had thought of a KVM solution but it seems too expensive, the budget is quite low.  I suggested to use a RaspberryPi  and remotely connect and would be nice to just run 1 Ethernet cable along a wall.   I believe it is possible with VNC or rdesktop. rdesktop is already packaged for Debian as well.

Some told me that this isn't particularly fast and response may be sluggish but I haven't verified yet.

Would anyone with a board already be able to test?  I could try from VM's but its not the same I guess.

Does anyone know if rdesktop can pass audio through as well?

Although audio is not a critical feature, we could easily run a speaker cable as well.

Any info is much obliged, if we know it'll work we can order from the first batch. I'm getting one anyway but not keen to give it away. ;)
by bredman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm
Do you have multiple users and a single Windows 7 box? If so, you will need something a bit more complex to allow each user to log in separately.
by tumblebomb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:59 pm
It'll just be one person at a time I think
by Lynbarn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:42 pm
tumblebomb said:

Well a mate of mine, who helps with a charity, has been asked to come up with a remote access solution. The users have to be a couple of rooms away from where the hardware is, a Windows 7 box, as I believe there a risk of anything expensive getting stolen.

They had thought of a KVM solution but it seems too expensive, the budget is quite low.  I suggested to use a RaspberryPi  and remotely connect and would be nice to just run 1 Ethernet cable along a wall.   I believe it is possible with VNC or rdesktop. rdesktop is already packaged for Debian as well.

Some told me that this isn't particularly fast and response may be sluggish but I haven't verified yet.

Would anyone with a board already be able to test?  I could try from VM's but its not the same I guess.

Does anyone know if rdesktop can pass audio through as well?

Although audio is not a critical feature, we could easily run a speaker cable as well.

Any info is much obliged, if we know it'll work we can order from the first batch. I'm getting one anyway but not keen to give it away. ;)

Probably a bit of overkill for your requirements, but we (corporately – I work for a major UK charity) are currently implementing a remote Windows desktop solution using Citrix Receiver onto Microsoft servers. The Citrix Reciver software is also, I believe, available for Linux, So I will be playing with that when I get my 'Pi – Windows 7 (and later, 8?) on my 'Pi – maybe!
by tumblebomb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:15 pm
Sounds good, and handy. Maybe a bit big for current need. I find Citrix solutions tend to work well where I work but once we introduce the users things start breaking.  ;)   I just spend 50mins on the phone trying to resolve one guys issue.
by ArborealSeer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:21 pm
rdesktop uses the same protocol (RDP – remote desktop protocol) that the windows remote desktop client uses.. and it works very well over a LAN.

if it is working OK on RPi i will be using it to connect to another machines on occasion, and in turn to my RPi from VNC..

either should be good enough really, but I believe RDP should be faster as it is less generic than VNC and is more tied in with windows actua rendering routines / WM_PAINT, than with sending the screen, or parts of the screen like VNC does

so it probably depends on whats easier to set up in the first place.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6
by dom » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:51 pm
I've installed a remote desktop client on Raspberry Pi and connected to my Windows 7 PC. Seemed pretty usable.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by adaack » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm
We too are looking to use these as citrix terminals to do away with the Wyse terminals. hard to really plan anything without one in my hands, hope to get one going as soon as they come out.
by tumblebomb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:20 am
Thanks Dom, great to know.
by Mushroom_Lord » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:15 pm
To be honest, by experience with Citrix is mediocre, and can't get the client working on Linux (yet...)
by mank0r » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:28 pm
I suggest buying old Windows CE thin Clients from ebay. you can probably get them for a few bucks each, they have RDP support built in, and they'll be a LOT easier for others to troubleshoot than a raspberry pi
by thewimreaper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 pm
teamviewer works perfect on windows and linux and does it crossplatform.

and its completely free!
by Docteh » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:43 am
The old windows ce thin clients are a tad laggier than using rdesktop on a full desktop. Probably fine for anything except youtube. My only complaint with them is the one i have doesn"t do any widescreen resolutions just 4:3
by kme » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:51 am
Even the newest rdesktop (1.7) is available for Linux/ARM, so that's a nobrainer. And odd aspect ratios isn't any problem.