OpenGL

9 posts
by stowelly » Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 am
Hi, im primarily a c++ developer and just got my Pi yesterday :D , but have found from searching a bit that you can currently only use opengl es.... which is fine, but I was wondering what language opengl es on the debian image is currently setup for? couldnt find much in the way of examples on there, apart from a couple of framebuffer gl programs.

thanks
by ArborealSeer » Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 am
there are some examples on this forum, and one fellow forumer is going to be making a series of examples.

i've been asking for a dedicated gl/graphics programming section, follow the link in my sig and add your voice!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6
by stowelly » Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 am
Thanks, Ive replied to it. do you have any links to any of these examples?
by ArborealSeer » Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 am
found over in the c++ section

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5727
by stowelly » Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 am
ah, thank you, I also found this http://benosteen.wordpress.com/2012/04/ ... x-windows/ , for anyone else who reads this thread, should be at least be able to get porting my OpenGL stuff.... however might be more convenient for developing framebuffer only stuff to work on a pc and execute commands via ssh to the pi plugged into a screen
by theHetman » Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 pm
I'm the guy that Arboreal mentioned above that's working on a few demos. My first task is to build a framework which abstracts all of the custom broadcom/EGL/XWindows code so that the demos can be pure GLES 2 and OpenVG. Part of that process will allow rendering to an XWindow. I'm going slowly and researching and checking things as I go.

The link to the blog that you posted above has code taken directly from the "hello_triangle.c" demo in /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_triangle/ As far as I know that's the only example from Broadcom of how to set up GLES.
by ArborealSeer » Tue May 29, 2012 1:51 pm
i've been assuming the samples that come with most other es platforms like Mali etc will recompile with limited modification like the bcm_init()) function ?

that provides a few more avenues
by theHetman » Tue May 29, 2012 2:58 pm
ArborealSeer wrote:i've been assuming the samples that come with most other es platforms like Mali etc will recompile with limited modification like the bcm_init()) function ?

that provides a few more avenues

It's more complicated than that. The Mali demos all compile to run under X Windows which as yet GLES doesn't support on the Pi. There is no X Windows code in any of the Broadcom demos as no one there has X Windows experience. Once I get my framework done it should be pretty easy for lift the GLES part out of other demos and hook it into the framework.
by ArborealSeer » Tue May 29, 2012 3:11 pm
ok, so if people knew how to replace the x windows specific stuff it'd just work (tm) :)

framework will certainly been super handy, i notice even now that most of the code i come across has some kind of DNA reaching back to the nehe tutorials