OpenGL ES tutorials?

9 posts
by OpenCL_Knight » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20 pm
Hello, everyone!
I've been playing around with my Raspberry Pi for a while and have been wanting to try my hand at graphics programming.
After searching around, I've been unable to find a book or tutorial that is fit for one that has NO experience with OpenGL [ES].
I was hoping that one of the friendly neighbors in the Raspberry Pi community might have some pointers about where to start – I've looked at the examples in /opt/vc/src/hello_pi, but have been unable to make heads or tails of it!

Thanks!
by fxmaker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 am
There is a pretty steep learning curve to do much of substance.

A common starting place is:
OpenGL® ES 2.0 Programming Guide
By: Aaftab Munshi; Dan Ginsburg; Dave Shreiner
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional
Pub. Date: July 24, 2008

However, the book is old and infuriatingly short on examples of the highest performance methods.

Sources documenting WebGL can be instructive as there is much commonality. Toolkits such as three.js obscure the commonality however.

OpenGL/ES 2 looks very little like legacy OpenGL. Some suggest legacy as a starting place because its learning curve is less steep. However, to explore legacy GL you will have to use a different platform. I myself just finished a semester of teaching an upper level undergraduate course on computer graphics where I tried to introduce legacy and modern side by side. I was not happy with the results.

You may be better off starting only with modern GL.
by PeterO » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:25 am
As a starting point, look at the stuff in /opt/vc/src for a few "get you started" examples.
The port of the examples in "the" book are also useful.
http://benosteen.wordpress.com/2012/04/ ... x-windows/

PeterO
by realbrucest » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 pm
I've just found this OpenGL ES tutorial:

http://db-in.com/blog/2011/01/all-about ... x-part-13/

It's splitted into three parts: begginer, intermediate and advanced. Surely it worths a peek.

So clear and well explained to begiin with and continue further.

I feel I've just discovered a treasure :D

Kudos (and bunches of thanks from me) to its author.
by ArborealSeer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm
As a recent OpenGL ES newb I started playing with the samples in the "Mali SDK" and have worked on from there.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6
by PeterO » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:29 pm
ArborealSeer wrote:As a recent OpenGL ES newb I started playing with the samples in the "Mali SDK" and have worked on from there.

Simple examples may work, but I think Mali is targeted at an ARM GPU not the Broadcom one in the RPi. If they use any ARM specific extensions then I doubt they will work.

PeterO
by ArborealSeer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm
the samples there weren't that hardcore.. and they also cross compile to desktop opengl es via their emulator (which i believe uses mesa under the hood) which i've successfully ported to run over AMDs native OpenGL ES desktop stuff too.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6
by HappyPiUser » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 pm
Somewhat of a beginner/newbie with OpenGL ES myself. (Actually somewhat familiar with ancient OpenGL 1.x...but never was really fluent.)

OpenGL ES 2.0, which is where you want to be working if you're starting from scratch, is hugely different from OpenGL ES 1.x and I have not found that many good "tutorial" books on the subject. The books that are out there seem to be oriented those coming from the OpenGL or OpenGL ES 1.x world. The standard book (mentioned earlier in this thread) is good a reference. But I think it assumes are are up to speed on OpenGL in general and OpenGL ES 1.x in particular. It doesn't have much for a "newbie" like me.

The best "intro" texts that I have seen so far appear to be targeted to either Android or IOS (Apple) developers. Some of those texts could easily be adapted I think to the Rasberry Pi, with a bit of effort. It might be worth your effort to look into them, if you are starting from "scratch"...as I am.

One example is a C++ / OpenGL 2.0 primer is called "iPhone 3D Programming: Developing Graphical Applications with OpenGL ES" by Philip Rideout (O'Reilly books). I've read part of the book and you have to interpolate some of the IOS-specific things, but it is written with a cross-platform approach in mind, and it does have some good and helpful advice to get started.
by HappyPiUser » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:32 pm
One more idea, if you are TOTAL newbie to Open GL in general, it's worth reading the first few chapters of this book.

"OpenGL SuperBible: Comprehensive Tutorial and Reference (5th Edition)" by Richard Write, et al. , Pearson Education (publisher).

It's the "official" teaching guide to Open GL and it's very helpful in understanding the basic concepts behind the technology.