Online computer graphics programming course

5 posts
by panik » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:21 pm
Anyone with an interest in computer graphics programming could do worse than to sign up for the free, online course 'CS184.1x: Foundations of Computer Graphics' from BerkelyX. The course starts this monday, november 5. Subjects are vector/matrix transformations, OpenGL/lighting and raytracing.

https://www.edx.org/courses

Not directly Raspberry Pi specific, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
by thradtke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 am
Thank you for the hint, panik. How would the Pi apply to this course when it is basically about OpenGL 2.0, not GLES?

Another question: Is there a way to blit the GLES FB into a X-window? I'm running my Pi currently headless using tightvnc.

TA

Thomas
Full-time noob forever.
by panik » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 pm
Hi Thomas,

The course indeed uses 'desktop' OpenGL, not OpenGL ES. However, a vector is a vector, a matrix is a matrix, and a shader is a shader. The same principles apply to using OpenGL ES on the Raspberry Pi. The main difference is in creating the window, and handling input. The course uses GLUT for that. On the Pi, a good starting point for OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 would be the example code in /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_triangle and /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_triangle2.

So far, the course really helped me in understanding some basic principles of vector and matrix transformations (the course was online since Nov. 1), and how it applies to OpenGL (ES). The last time I had to solve a linear algebra problem was over 20 years ago. That was at a time in my life where I thought other things were much more interesting. Now that comes back to haunt me, but I was somehow able to make homework assignment 1 this weekend (with a lot of trial, and even more error).

In homework assignment 1, you're asked to basically re-implement the glRotate() and gluLookAt() function. Homework assignment 2 deals with vertex and fragment shaders. I still have to start with that, but I believe it at least involves recreating phong shading. Quite interesting.

I don't know the answer to your other question, but you might want to have a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6488
by thradtke » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:30 pm
Thanks, panik. I'm already late for the show and short of free time so I'm just using VS2012. Just did the teapot snapshots. Great to be in school again :lol:
Full-time noob forever.
by panik » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:03 pm
You're right on time, and there's plenty of room on the front row!
I love how the coffee tastes here, and that I'm allowed to smoke during classes.