The start of raspbian (Debian Hard Float (armhf) for RPi)

614 posts   Page 24 of 25   1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
by plugwash » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm
The primary difference is one of ABI, armel binaries pass floating point values in integer registers while armhf binaries pass them in vfp registers. So you can't mix armel binaries/libaries with armhf binaries/libraries.

In theory you should be able to install them alongside each other using multiarch but if you do so then you can't use the hardfloat broadcom libaries due to dynamic linker path issues. For this and other reasons we do not reccomend or support such a configuration.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by hadi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:37 pm
thanks. bummer. I guess I cant use logmein on RPi. my Pi is behind NAT and I was trying to reach it via logmein.

I don't think there is anything else for that?
by plugwash » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 pm
Do you control the nat?

If so then just forward a port and use ssh or whatever.
If not then what I personally do is setup a tunnel using vtund. Of course this is only practical if you have somewhere you can use as the other end of the endpoint.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by hadi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:52 pm
plugwash wrote:Do you control the nat?

If so then just forward a port and use ssh or whatever.
If not then what I personally do is setup a tunnel using vtund. Of course this is only practical if you have somewhere you can use as the other end of the endpoint.

unfortunately I have no control over NAT. company network, meh!

do you know any VPN solution that works P2P? couldn't find any that works on Linux Armhf
by mpthompson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 pm
hadi wrote:is there anyway to use armel packages?

I don't exactly know what is the difference between armhf and armel.

hadi, I would recommend reading this link on the difference between armhf and armel:

http://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort

It should answer most questions you might have.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by mathewjenkinson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:55 am
Ive been reading and watching this thread with sometime.
Hats off to you, the work you have done is incredible. :)

In the initial posts you talked about making the port ready for other boards - Mele A1000 for example, hows that going?

mpthompson wrote:BTW, I also have a Mele A1000 on order to see if I can get a basic port of Debian armhf running on it.

http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....droid-stb/

It runs the AllWinner A10 (Cortext A8) SOC which seems to be the hottest chip coming out of China these days.  Being half the cost of the iMX53, a 1 GHz processor, a decent 512M RAM and a real SATA interface, I'm hoping these can be converted into inexpensive build machines if there is enough interest in pushing through a full Debian armhf port for the Raspberry Pi.   A number of these along with a few iMX53 systems for heavy lifting could probably make a nice build cluster for Debian ARM.
by mpthompson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:59 pm
The Mele A1000 doesn't really require Raspbian as it will run the official version of Debian Wheezy armhf without modification. The only real issue on it is that a stable kernel that is customized to the A10 CPU is needed. Work on that can be found in the arm-netbook email list where you will find a community of people working to support the Mele A1000 and other A10 based devices with various ports of Linux and Android. A link to the arm-netbook list and archives is below:

http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/arm-netbook

Mike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Zinahe » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:32 pm
Please 'stick(y)' this post to the top of the list. It's a must read for anyone who wants to find out about how Raspbian got started.
by Nexy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:06 pm
Wow, just spent a fair chunk of my Sunday afternoon reading this thread (and the threads linked such as the GPU accelerated X). An amazing amount of effort by all involved, mpthompson and plugwash especially. Thanks very much, not only for the effort but also the documentation of it. It has made for strangely engaging reading!

It may be worth editing the first post with links to:

raspbian homepage
http://www.raspbian.org/

the FAQ
http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ

I've noticed there have been a few people jumping in that haven't read the whole thing, shoving those links in at the beginning might avoid a few more.

ukscone has offered to sticky any thread (offered here viewtopic.php?f=66&t=9026 ). Perhaps a new "Start here" thread and this one (maybe with "History of the Project" tacked onto the name) would make for a good pair to sticky?

Thanks again, I very much appreciate the investment of time and money that have been put into this project.
by dom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:14 pm
@mpthompson @plugwash
In case you haven't seen this thread, I think there is some potential Raspbian performance improvement here:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=9260
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by mpthompson » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:42 pm
Regarding the history of Raspbian, here is a link to an earlier thread where the ideas for this unofficial port of Debian were first discussed. Notice plugwash was the second to reply to the original query and he did a pretty good job of explaining what, in retrospect, were indeed the actual requirements for the project.

viewtopic.php?p=47787

Here is a similar parallel thread on the Debian-arm email list discussing what would be involved with creating a Debian armhf port for the Raspberry Pi.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2012 ... 00002.html

If I recall correctly, there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm for such a Raspberry Pi armhf port in that thread, but everyone still provided me with a lot of good information.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Nexy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 pm
Thanks, I've created a "Start Here!" thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=9951

Any suggestions, additions and edits you'd like, let me know and I'll change it. Once it's ok, I'll ask ukscone to sticky it. :)

I've also registered for the wiki (WillDerrick). To update it (specifically the FAQ page) is it better to request edit permissions or PM someone who already has permission?
by mpthompson » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:24 pm
Nexy wrote:Thanks, I've created a "Start Here!" thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=9951

Any suggestions, additions and edits you'd like, let me know and I'll change it. Once it's ok, I'll ask ukscone to sticky it. :)

I've also registered for the wiki (WillDerrick). To update it (specifically the FAQ page) is it better to request edit permissions or PM someone who already has permission?

I've enabled your wiki account as an editor. Once you log into the wiki you should see you can now edit the FAQ and most every other page with a few exceptions.

I'll put a request in to sticky your Start Here posting. Looks like a very good start.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by mdewey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:14 pm
I have been amusing myself while I am still RPi-less by re-reading this thread and making a Raspbian timeline. This also served as a learning exercise in manipulating dates in R. It is a work in progress, if anyone thinks it is interesting I will update it and repost. The draft version is at

http://www.zen103156.zen.co.uk/rpitime.pdf

Comments welcome, perhaps best using a PM especially if I have done something dumb.

Michael
by mpthompson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:53 pm
mdewey wrote:I have been amusing myself while I am still RPi-less by re-reading this thread and making a Raspbian timeline.

Michael, very nice. Perhaps we should create a "RaspbianHistory" page on the wiki and add this as contents to the page. It's interesting to see in your graph how fast the packages all seemed to build. Didn't feel that fast at the time.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by mdewey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:44 pm
mpthompson wrote:
mdewey wrote:I have been amusing myself while I am still RPi-less by re-reading this thread and making a Raspbian timeline.

Michael, very nice. Perhaps we should create a "RaspbianHistory" page on the wiki and add this as contents to the page. It's interesting to see in your graph how fast the packages all seemed to build. Didn't feel that fast at the time.

I have an unmet training need for wiki-editing but am willing to give it a go.

Michael
by mpthompson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:12 am
mdewey wrote:I have an unmet training need for wiki-editing but am willing to give it a go.

Create an account on the Wiki and let me know your username and I'll enable you as an editor.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by n0thing » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 am
I tired install aircrack-ng suite but it seem like I can't run it and it gave me the following output:

aircrack-ng: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone know how to fix it?
by BenPope » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 am
n0thing wrote:I tired install aircrack-ng suite but it seem like I can't run it and it gave me the following output:

aircrack-ng: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone know how to fix it?

ben@pisces:~$ sudo apt-cache search libssl
dcmtk - OFFIS DICOM toolkit command line utilities
libdcmtk2 - OFFIS DICOM toolkit runtime libraries
libdcmtk2-dev - OFFIS DICOM toolkit development libraries and headers
libssl-dev - SSL development libraries, header files and documentation
libssl-doc - SSL development documentation documentation
libssl-ocaml - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL (runtime)
libssl-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL
libssl1.0.0 - SSL shared libraries
libssl1.0.0-dbg - Symbol tables for libssl and libcrypto
libsslcommon2 - enterprise messaging system - common SSL libraries
libsslcommon2-dev - enterprise messaging system - common SSL development files

Oh... ummm, we only have openssl 1.0.0 in the repository.

I don't suppose:
sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0
will do you any favours.
by n0thing » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:13 am
No, it doesn't help. I had install libssl1.0.0 but it still prompt me the same error. =\
by BenPope » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:03 am
ben@pisces:~$ sudo apt-get -s install aircrack-ng
<snip>
Package aircrack-ng is not available, but is referred to by another package.
<snip>
However the following packages replace it:
iw
by jose1711 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am
i am really looking forward for xbmc enabled with armhf. openelec is nice, but it's very specialized distro - i would really like to have one sd card with more universal installation.
by bob_binz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:57 am
jose1711 wrote:i am really looking forward for xbmc enabled with armhf. openelec is nice, but it's very specialized distro - i would really like to have one sd card with more universal installation.

Try having a read through this thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10304. There are even some pre-configured image files you can download
by m][sko » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:37 am
How can I make my own base rootfs with my own compiler configuration?
You wrote here that you compile every single package from start.
by mpthompson » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:06 am
m][sko wrote:How can I make my own base rootfs with my own compiler configuration?
You wrote here that you compile every single package from start.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow what your question is. Debootstrap is a Debian tool that works within Raspbian that can be used to create an initial root file system. However, I don't understand the part about your own compiler configuration. Can you give me an example of what your are trying to do?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator