DOES BERRYBOOT CHANGE FILE LOCATIONS ON WHEEZY?

7 posts
by kbailey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:59 pm
LOOKING FOR THE CONFIG.TXT file, it was NOT in /boot- nothing of the sort was there at all. I found it in the fat32 segment visible with windows explorer when placing the card into my windows pc. Configuring that file did in fact change machine behavior. placing a file in /boot did NOT change the machine behavior- and there was none there to start with. Pardon me while I grow confused how this happens, can anyone explain?

2. Placing the wheezy image on the blank SD card looks fine, but does not work. I am using Win32 disk imager for this task. Is there something I have to do first to make the sd card bootablke when not using berryboot? :?:
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?
by redhawk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:39 pm
I haven't tried berryboot yet but I'm guessing it's using a customised boot loader, therefore your config.txt file would not be where you expect it.
Since berryboot was designed to facilitate multiple operating systems you cannot have a global config.txt file because you might want different settings for each operating system.

If the configuration file isn't visible from the boot folder under a different name it's possible it's hidden inside a partition on your memory card.
Try DiskInternals Linux Reader - http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ and have a look around.

Richard S.
by jojopi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm
1. BerryBoot uses a custom kernel, and I believe it "hides" the real /boot deliberately to stop normal tools from "upgrading" the boot files. You should be able to mount it in the normal way ("sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot") but be careful what you change.

2. There is no secret step. If you wrote an official image to a card and it does not boot (and the Pi works with other images) then something went wrong with the write. Try again. Make sure you have no other windows open and "safely remove" the card and give it time to finish writing before unplugging it.
by kbailey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:05 pm
I went back and formatted a card using the SDformatter.exe tool, and used the Win32DiskImager.exe tool to load an image onto the SD card, and this time it worked, and lo and behold, the /boot and /boot/config.txt are PRECISELY where they should be, so berryboot is the responsible party.

Further update: I updated raspian and told the os to go expand to take up all the space on the card, and reboot.Worked fine. BUT, chromium stopped working, reporting 'segmentation error".
So I reformatted, reloaded image, DID NOT update, DID NOT expand image, and it works fine.

Now one or the other is the culprit, not both, and I intend to discover which. Further news shall follow.
:geek:
-Cheers!
Does this compute?
by RaTTuS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:10 pm
berryboot has those files elsewhere
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by kbailey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:32 pm
ok, tried to do apt-get update. Reports errors, and now chromium loads but gives an "aw snap" error when trying to load ANY page, including a local file. :?: At this point I feel like starting over and not updating raspian, and living with the current relase, which works.
-Cheers!
Does this compute?
by kbailey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:42 pm
The menu button fails to operate, to reload I have to dump the system. Rebooting, Chromium loads cnn.com nicely, after a repair to the file system happens automagically. Chromium also loads raspberrypi.org, so it's no coinkidink. And the menu button works.

Moral of the story 1: Don't try to update raspian, it screws stuff up.
Moral of the story2: When in doubt, reboot.

Discussion?
:mrgreen:
-Cheers!
Does this compute?