missing start menu bar when running startx

7 posts
by Forrrge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 pm
I've just installed a new image of raspbian, updated it, but when I "startX" I have no bar at the bottom, with the start menu and CPU indicator. Any ideas ? strangely I have an older image that has been updated to the latest on the same type of memory and that one works fine.

I'm about to try and re image to see if it fixes it but would be interested if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to fix.
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:12 pm
(If possible - i.e., if you can get the old image back...)

I would compare the config.txt between the old & new images. I'll bet there is some option in one or the other that is causing your HDMI to "overscan" (or "underscan", whatever...).
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by Forrrge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:21 pm
Thanks I will check that out as I have the old image (that is upgraded) on a separate SD. However I get the same behavior if I run it headless so would have thought that the HDMI setting would have no effect ?
by billb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:29 pm
I've had that problem when playing with MobaXterm. If I launched the desktop remotely (using lxsession) before ever having launched the desktop directly on the Pi, the lxpanel (what you're calling the start menu bar) would be missing. If I launched the desktop first, the panel would show up both locally and remotely.

I'm guessing it has something to do with some missing display parameters when LXDE is first launched remotely that causes it not to configure the panel properly, but since I was working from a new image I ended up just overwriting it with a fresh image instead of spending time trying to fix it.
by Forrrge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:48 pm
@billb

I'll try that, I am using MobaXterm and did launch it that way first before then checking it on the TV, I'll re-image again and check it on the TV before doing anything else. I wonder if there are some file that can be deleted to put it back into that state ?
by billb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:00 pm
If it is indeed something to do with the panel configuration files, the lxde wiki says:

File Locations
The config files of LXPanel are stored in ~/.config/lxpanel/<Profile Name>.
Under LXDE, we use a different profile name - LXDE. So it's in ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE. In this way, if you changed the config of the panel under LXDE, it won't interfere other desktop environments.
If the config files are missing, lxpanel loads system-wide config in /usr/share/lxpanel/profile/<Profile name> instead.
by Forrrge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:34 pm
starting it on the TV first has fixed it, thanks :)