Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

229 posts   Page 5 of 10   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10
by Ed Raket » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 am
dom wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:Me to, overclock corrupts my SD card (config.txt edit's itself...). This issue was solved for a while but it seems to be back? Card= Transcend 8gb class 10

Is this from an updated older image, or a new intall?
It could be the corruption happened from an older kernel, and you are just seeing the result when you try writing to the boot partition.
A reimage (or format the FAT partion, then copy the files back on) may help.

I did a fresh install of the new image twice (with a SD card format inbetween) and all is well until i set overclock and reboot, then my config.txt is intantly messed up. Maybe this specific SD card is sort of.. sensitive? :?
by aotto2012 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:07 pm
Thanks for all the great work!

Updating with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade works as far as:

Code: Select all
Setting up raspberrypi-bootloader (1.20120918-1) ...
Your current start.elf is the same as arm224_start.elf
Removing 'diversion of /boot/arm128_start.elf to /usr/share/rpikernelhack/arm128_start.elf by rpikernelhack'

This is probably nearly at the end and apt-get upgrade stays there forever, rendering the raspberry pi unresponsive.

Restarting and doing the update and upgrade process again results in:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Yes, sure it was interrupted. Running dpkg works as far as:

Removing 'diversion of /boot/arm128_start.elf to /usr/share/rpikernelhack/arm128_start.elf by rpikernelhack'

How can I fix this apart from installing the image from scratch?
by Cloudcentric » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:46 pm
I must admit I had ditched Debian for Arch and Slackware, but thought would give this update a whirl.

It is a lot lot better now, still have the Graphics Drivers issues, but that is well documented, this was a fresh install from a GUI addict:

http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk

Thank you everyone involved in all the hard work, especially offering Chromium Browser :D
I know everything about nothing"
by jamesh » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:53 pm
Cloudcentric wrote:I must admit I had ditched Debian for Arch and Slackware, but thought would give this update a whirl.

It is a lot lot better now, still have the Graphics Drivers issues, but that is well documented, this was a fresh install from a GUI addict:

http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk

Thank you everyone involved in all the hard work, especially offering Chromium Browser :D

In general, Raspbian will be ahead of the other distros as all the fixes are developed on it (AFAIK). The other distro people then have to pick up the changes and push them to their own trees. The speed with which that happens is up to them, but is usually pretty quick!

So well worth keeping an eye on Raspbian if using those other distro's.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by dliloch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:01 pm
For me everything installed correctly. but when I ran the command cat /sys ... /scaling_cur_freq I just saw 700000 .. now on my x window in the cpu monitor was pegged .. I tried the command several times but still 700000.. then I downloaded stress and ran the script and it picked up the new value of 900000... why didn't I see it? if the X cpu monitor in the lower right corner is all green shouldn't that mean that the cpu is "pegged" and a switch is in order??
thanks..
by the way I have upgraded my August wheezy image faithfully so I saw no reason to use the 9-18 image and lose all my upgrades ..
by zebo-the-fat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:36 pm
Well done to everyone involved in this update..... at last my wifi is working! :D :D
Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!
by P4d0uch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:04 pm
Hi. I just update my raspberry and overclock it to 1Ghz. it is awesome and stable. but if i connect usb mouse and keyboard and usb hub(powered) it have only 4,74-4,76 V on it. And wlan leds start blinking. I have 5V 700mA source. Should i buy stronger power source? like 1000mA?
by williamhbell » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:08 pm
williamhbell wrote:
williamhbell wrote:Hi,

During the update, the Pi was turned off so that the update many not have completed correctly. How can the update be re-run? Is it enough to force the script in the deb file to re-run?

On the second Pi the update script is still running after 2hrs.

Thanks and best regards,

Will

After 6hrs the apt-get upgrade is still running. This is nothing fancy, just the default configuration with X running.

Regards, Will

apt-get upgrade has now been running for nearly 24hrs. The CPU is maxed out and it is impossible to type anything. The starting image for this installation was 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.img and the system had done a full update before this update.

The Pi is probably swapping like crazy, (due to the default memory allocation and X running), but I cannot tell because it is unresponsive. If I reboot it and start from an SD card with the most recent image, how can the re-flashing of the firmware be forced? On another Pi, I gave up and rebooted it, but now apt-get et al. think that the Pi has the new image. Presumably, one has to force the firmware update. What is the command line string needed to force the firmware update?

Thanks and best regards, Will
by asb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:09 pm
Will: see the first post in the thread, which I modified to make it clearer that the fastest way to update just the firmware is "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install raspberrypi* raspi-config"
by jamesh » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:10 pm
P4d0uch wrote:Hi. I just update my raspberry and overclock it to 1Ghz. it is awesome and stable. but if i connect usb mouse and keyboard and usb hub(powered) it have only 4,74-4,76 V on it. And wlan leds start blinking. I have 5V 700mA source. Should i buy stronger power source? like 1000mA?

700 is a bit on the low side. 1A would be better.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by dom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:16 pm
jamesh wrote:
P4d0uch wrote:Hi. I just update my raspberry and overclock it to 1Ghz. it is awesome and stable. but if i connect usb mouse and keyboard and usb hub(powered) it have only 4,74-4,76 V on it. And wlan leds start blinking. I have 5V 700mA source. Should i buy stronger power source? like 1000mA?

Yes, overclocking and overvolting does require more power.
Normally we say 500mA + 200mA for USB. With 1GHz overclock it should be more like 750mA + 200mA for USB, so 1A would be better.
by Montala » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:16 pm
asb wrote:Will: see the first post in the thread, which I modified to make it clearer that the fastest way to update just the firmware is "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install raspberrypi* raspi-config"

Does this then eliminate the need to "sudo apt-get upgrade"?

(Sorry if that's a silly question, but I am still a bit new to this sort of thing!)

Thanks! :)
by drount » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm
After updating, my MPD server plays with an awful really quality and really low volume. This is my current configuration:

audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "My ALSA Device"
        device          "hw:0,0"        # optional
}

Should I change something?
by P4d0uch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:29 pm
dom wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Yes, overclocking and overvolting does require more power.
Normally we say 500mA + 200mA for USB. With 1GHz overclock it should be more like 750mA + 200mA for USB, so 1A would be better.

And how much amps can the power source have?
by drount » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:40 pm
drount wrote:After updating, my MPD server plays with an awful really quality and really low volume. This is my current configuration:

audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "My ALSA Device"
        device          "hw:0,0"        # optional
}

Should I change something?

Actually it happens with aplay too, really low bad quality sound.

[SOLVED] I just:

sudo amixer cset numid=3 0

And everything works fine. Also, no more cracking sound.
by Dweeber » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm
dom wrote:
Dweeber wrote:However, lost the ability to play mp4's again. 2nd time an update has inexplicably caused this to happen. I can hear sound, but no picture. I can also hear it shuddering which it wasn't doing before the upgrade.

What memory split are you on?

I am on 128.

At some point I was able to get this to fix itself, but subsequent attempts at trying some overclocking (no overvolt) it stopped working again and is still like that now despite removing all overclocking settings.

I might just go ahead and try a fresh image and start from there again now that I am fairly certain that I can get WiFi up and running without the GUI now.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com
by jamesh » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:59 pm
P4d0uch wrote:And how much amps can the power source have?

Device will only pull as much as it needs, so the power supply can go above 1A no problem.
by drount » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm
Actually:
sudo amixer cset numid=3 0

doesn't provide the claimed "auto" mode.

I have to manually type:

sudo amixer cset numid=3 1

to be able to reproduce the sound clearly through analog output.
by Frank B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:10 pm
Ed Raket wrote:
dom wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:Me to, overclock corrupts my SD card (config.txt edit's itself...). This issue was solved for a while but it seems to be back? Card= Transcend 8gb class 10

Is this from an updated older image, or a new intall?
It could be the corruption happened from an older kernel, and you are just seeing the result when you try writing to the boot partition.
A reimage (or format the FAT partion, then copy the files back on) may help.

I did a fresh install of the new image twice (with a SD card format inbetween) and all is well until i set overclock and reboot, then my config.txt is intantly messed up. Maybe this specific SD card is sort of.. sensitive? :?

I have 5 cards, all have the same symptom, so i think it is the pi.
Every time i try to set gpu_core > 325 MHz it has the card problems and it ends with a corrupted filesystem. RAM does overclock up to 500 MHz very good (over_voltage_sdram=4), ARM goes>950 Mhz (over_voltage=6) , but my pi's gpu_core does not like overclocking.... ?!?

Frank.
by lx-s » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:13 pm
aotto2012 wrote:Thanks for all the great work!

Updating with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade works as far as:

[...]

How can I fix this apart from installing the image from scratch?

I am encountering the exact same problem, do you or anyone else have a solution to this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
by Mr.Dave » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 pm
The governor is not very good

100% CPU use for a long time and it only jumps to 950MHz now and again for a split second
by pygmy_giant » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:32 pm
and there is no whshhh sound
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by williamhbell » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:10 pm
asb wrote:Will: see the first post in the thread, which I modified to make it clearer that the fastest way to update just the firmware is "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install raspberrypi* raspi-config"

Thanks Asb. I had spotted your line, but was not completely sure it would fix the problems that I might have produced by rebooting before the firmware update had finished. If you are saying that the lines will fix all problems, such as a partial firmware update, then I will give it a go. The CPU has now been at 100% for 1 day and 3 hrs. So pulling the power sounds an attractive option. Best regard, Will
by morticiaskeeper » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:29 pm
I did the update and upgrade, set the overclock to turbo and everything ran fine.

BUT

Although it all works in the CLI, once the GUI is running, I lose keyboard and mouse.

Reset the overclocking to none, but still no keyboard and mouse.

1000ma psu on a 7way hub with just the raspi and the keyboard/mouse wireless Rx plugged in. Replace the wireless Rx with separate mouse and keyboard, still ok on CLI but not on GUI.
by jomcty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:34 pm
sghazagh wrote:I cannot run this two command!
It says, " No such file or directory"

I was getting that error too. This fixed it for me:

$ cd /usr/lib
$ sudo ln -s /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so libvcos.so
$ sudo ln -s /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so libvchiq_arm.so