rpi-update problem on Raspian

3 posts
by halhertani » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:42 pm
I just wanted to report my experience with Hexxeh's rpi-update. After downloading a new fresh 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian image to an 8GB SD card and performing the "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" commands I went ahead and followed the instructions posted here (https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/blob/master/README.md) to install rpi-update.

I then ran rpi-update. It ran successfully and seemed to update the firmware successfully. After shutting down the RPi device and then powering it up, the RPi it wouldn't boot.

BTW How come the latest firmware is not included in the latest Raspbian build? One would think that it should be included...Is there any other way to update the RPi firmware without the use of the rpi-update tool ?

Any help would be appreciated with this matter.
Last edited by halhertani on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by joan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:50 pm
Check to see if the green led is repeatedly flashing 5 or 6 times as it tries to boot.

If so it will probably be a corrupted boot file. On my machine start.elf was corrupted. This appears to be corrected (by recent kernels) so you should only experience the problem once.

Take the sd card out and put it into a card reader. Run chkdsk on Windows (dosfsck on Linux) on the boot partition.
by kenm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 pm
I've had similar trouble with rpi-update too. With the 3.1.9+ series kernel, writing to /boot often locks the Pi completely. With the newer kernels the writes complete OK but don't seem to get commited properly to the SD.

I found that rpi-update usually works correctly if I unmount and then remount the /boot partition immediately after rpi-update has finished but before rebooting. I'd be interested to see if this works for anyone else.

I've seen a post elsewhere that /boot would be better off not mounted on the VFAT partition and I tend to agree. It might be better to construct the whole partition in a loopback mount somewhere and then shove the whole thing home with 'dd' or something similar.