No Output to HDMI

5 posts
by b1ackcr0w » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:49 pm
I'm having trouble with display output on my Pi. I'm hooking up to a monitor using the HDMI output.

I've used Fedora, Debian and Arch on the Pi without issue. It's only when I use the Raspbian image that the Pi boots, but I get nothing on the display.

The good news is that I can ssh into the Pi when Raspbian has booted, so the kernel and networking services seem to be fine, but it doesn't like my screen :(

Any suggestions/handholding about how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
by HB » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:18 pm
Do you have a config.txt set up? It might be some conflicting settings in that confusing it; I just had a similar issue on Debian caused by that.
by RaTTuS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 pm
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
in /boot/config.txt
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by b1ackcr0w » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm
Hmm, since posting, I have found some references in other threads about that file. I shall do a little tweaking tonight to see if those suggestions work.

I'll post later with what works and what doesn't. If I get lucky, I'll link to those posts.
by b1ackcr0w » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm
Good news guys. I'm writing this from the pi on native output :)

The answer was that the Pi was sending a resolution to the monitor that the monitor couldn't handle. The answer was indeed in the config.txt

I forced the Pi to use the HDMI in monitor mode to a resolution I knew my monitor could handle.

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16

Answers were all to be had in... http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

Thanks for the replies, and also thanks to the wiki people to writing good documentation.

Much appreciated guys!