Raspbian flavor: RaspRazor

29 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by Max » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 pm
Cute but sharp: RaspRazor

My first attempt at creating an unofficial Raspbian flavor.

• Razor/Qt desktop environment
  • Designed to fit on a 1 GB SD card
  • Boots straight into X
  • Various C++, Python and Ruby programming tools
  • Various utilities (focuswriter, speedcrunch, juffed, easypaint)
  • Couple games
  • Links webbrowser. Ugly but fast.

Pi user's password is: raspberry (not needed to login locally, but you do need it if you want to use sudo).

Download link: RaspRazor site
by asb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 pm
Neat, I'll have to try to make some time to check this out - I'm very curious as to how razor-qt does on the Pi. I take it you're using openbox as WM? You might want to advertise this image to the razor-qt mailing list: http://razor-qt.org/support/
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Max » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:03 am
asb wrote:Neat, I'll have to try to make some time to check this out - I'm very curious as to how razor-qt does on the Pi. I take it you're using openbox as WM?

Yes, uses Openbox
You might want to advertise this image to the razor-qt mailing list: http://razor-qt.org/support/

Maybe later. Not sure what the current mood towards the Pi is there (qt device program troubles).
by mpthompson » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 am
Max,

I added your image to the list of Raspbian Based images in our Wiki: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianImages

One suggestion. Could you add the information in your first posting of this thread to your web page so that people who get to your image via the Raspbian wiki see the important information about using your image?

Great stuff. Thanks.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by rdnetto » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:12 am
Glad to see I'm not the only one interested in using Razor-QT on the Raspberry Pi. Just a few things I was wondering:
  • Do you have any kind of repository set up for the Razor-QT packages, or did you just install the .debs?
  • Which version of Razor-QT is this - the last stable version (0.4.1), or the latest git version?
by Max » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:57 pm
mpthompson wrote:One suggestion. Could you add the information in your first posting of this thread to your web page so that people who get to your image via the Raspbian wiki see the important information about using your image?

Done.
Thanks for the link

---

rdnetto wrote:Glad to see I'm not the only one interested in using Razor-QT on the Raspberry Pi. Just a few things I was wondering:
  • Do you have any kind of repository set up for the Razor-QT packages, or did you just install the .debs?
  • Which version of Razor-QT is this - the last stable version (0.4.1), or the latest git version?

It is 0.4.1 stable.
Compiled it from source unmodified (apart from a one-line modification in their packaging script, as they had a "/usr/lib64" path somewhere)

Repo is currently "deb http://repo.berryboot.com /"
Public key at /pubkey.txt - fingerprint: B391 3ECB 1D86 6135 8B61 4D70 4455 1FAD 1523 1890
Comes preinstalled with Rasprazor.
by jadecolour » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 am
Hi,

Thanks a lot for creating this image. I just wanted to try out first with a 1GB SD card at hand and this images seems perfect to fit into the size limit.

I've successfully booted it up and now I'd like to make the board headless for pure remote access. But now I have no idea on how to skip the boot menu on operating system selection, where a key-stroke from the keyboard is required.

What if I do not want to connect a keyboard and a display and simply rely on remote SSH access? Is there any configuration file I can change?

I've checked the berryterminal site, seems linuxrc is the file that contains what I could change for my purpose. But that's not found in the downloaded image.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Regards,
by Max » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:40 am
Might release a version of Berryboot (the bundled boot selector thingy) with a default selection after a timeout in the future.

But this distribution is not really aimed at headless stuff, given that it always boots into the X GUI.
You might want to try some of the other Raspbian images like Darkbasic.
by jadecolour » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:20 am
Including a timeout would make sense, :lol:

I've downloaded other packages, the image sizes are at least 2GB. So only your image fits my 1GB card.

Max wrote:Might release a version of Berryboot (the bundled boot selector thingy) with a default selection after a timeout in the future.

But this distribution is not really aimed at headless stuff, given that it always boots into the X GUI.
You might want to try some of the other Raspbian images like Darkbasic.
by caderoux » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 am
I tried this image - waited for a ping response (I have a reserved IP on my DHCP server for the Pi) and then checked the TV to find out that it was waiting for a boot selection.

After that, the menus seemed to be off the screen, as I could see the clock and the background and move the mouse.

Still it never picked up its reserved IP, so I wasn't able to ssh in to edit the config. I'll try to find some time to fool around with it a little more tomorrow.
by Max » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:26 pm
caderoux wrote:I tried this image - waited for a ping response (I have a reserved IP on my DHCP server for the Pi) and then checked the TV to find out that it was waiting for a boot selection.

After that, the menus seemed to be off the screen, as I could see the clock and the background and move the mouse.

Might need to remove "disable_overscan" from config.txt if you are going to hook it up to a TV instead of a normal computer display.

Still it never picked up its reserved IP, so I wasn't able to ssh in to edit the config. I'll try to find some time to fool around with it a little more tomorrow.

SSH is disabled by default.
by Max » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:04 pm
jadecolour wrote:Including a timeout would make sense, :lol:

I've downloaded other packages, the image sizes are at least 2GB. So only your image fits my 1GB card.

Released a new version of Berryboot with 3 second timeout.
Can find it here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12776

(if you want to keep your existing files instead of performing a fresh installation, copy the files to the FAT partition, open cmdline.txt in a text editor and add: "datadev=mmcblk0p2")

With the Berryboot installer you can also install the official Raspbian image, which might be more suitable than RaspRazor for SSH work.
Because it uses SquashFS LZO compression it will fit on a 1 GB card as well.
by jadecolour » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:21 am
I've tried it and did not work for me, :cry:

I used the following command to format my SD card

$mkdosfs /dev/sdb -F16 -I

and then unzip the berryboot-20120728.zip file to the root of it.

Booting shows the color pattern screen and scrolling text, eventually failed at not finding /boot/BerrybootInstaller.gz

But there is no /boot directory here since the all files are unzipped to the root directory.

I tried to make a new 'boot' directory and then unzipped files under that, this time there was not output on TV.

Am I doing something wrong formatting the SD card?

Regards,
by Max » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:16 am
jadecolour wrote:I've tried it and did not work for me, :cry:

Create a primary partition with your favorite partitioning tool (e.g. fdisk/sfdisk/cfdisk/parted) and then mkdosfs on /dev/sdb1 instead of sdb.
Also make sure that it formats it as vfat (long filenames)

Alternatively, put the sdcard in a digital camera or windows pc and let it format the card for you.
by AlArenal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:52 pm
Just burnt the image but it doesn't like my keyboard. I end up in berryboot menu and cannot advance. My keyboard is a standard Logitech USB (cable) kb with no issues whatsoever in Arch, Debian 6 + 7, Raspbian, RISC OS, Fedora, ...
by Max » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 pm
AlArenal wrote:Just burnt the image but it doesn't like my keyboard. I end up in berryboot menu and cannot advance. My keyboard is a standard Logitech USB (cable) kb with no issues whatsoever in Arch, Debian 6 + 7, Raspbian, RISC OS, Fedora, ...

"enter" doesn't work?
by AlArenal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:19 pm
Nope. It seems to me the keyboard does not get initialized as I even cannot activate the num-lock on it. Switched sd card to my raspbian card and everything works. I switch back to RaspRazor and still it hangs in the menu.
Only devices attached are Logitech usb keyboard and mouse. Even disconnected the mouse but with no effect.
by Max » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:21 pm
AlArenal wrote:Nope. It seems to me the keyboard does not get initialized as I even cannot activate the num-lock on it. Switched sd card to my raspbian card and everything works. I switch back to RaspRazor and still it hangs in the menu.
Only devices attached are Logitech usb keyboard and mouse. Even disconnected the mouse but with no effect.

Perhaps it does not behave as a standard USB input device and requires a special driver, which we do not automatically load.
If you do "lsmod" under Raspbian what modules do you see?

Does work with my own Logitech (classic 200) keyboard. Both when having it plugged in at boot, and when plugging it in later.
by jadecolour » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:31 pm
Okay, this time it works almost perfectly for me. I like the the configuration menu where you can choose to enable SSH, etc.

Still two minor issues though:

1. Now every time it boots it gives a warning on mount point '/squashfs' not exist.
2. There is a failed service resize2fs_once printout line for every boot.

I resized up my partition through the configuration menu.

Looked in the /etc/init.d/resizefs_once and saw that very script itself should have been removed after the first run. Somehow it is still in that directory and the service is still enabled. Now I manually remove the service and the failure printout line is gone.

Maybe this was caused by my resizing the partition through the configuration menu?

Anyway, now it boots perfectly and I can work from the comfort of my big monitor instead of looking hard on the CRT 480i screen.

Thanks a bunch!

Max wrote:
jadecolour wrote:I've tried it and did not work for me, :cry:

Create a primary partition with your favorite partitioning tool (e.g. fdisk/sfdisk/cfdisk/parted) and then mkdosfs on /dev/sdb1 instead of sdb.
Also make sure that it formats it as vfat (long filenames)

Alternatively, put the sdcard in a digital camera or windows pc and let it format the card for you.
by AlArenal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:38 pm
Embarassing..... It seems science is right and the human brain, my brain that is, ceases above age 30...

Indeed my 'Logitech' kb is a Cherry Evolution Stream XT and that's why the module hid_cherry is loaded. But shouldn't it just be needed for the few multimedia keys I'm not using anyways?
by Max » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:42 pm
(Clarification for others reading the thread: jadecolour is running the official Raspbian image installed through Berryboot. Rasprazor doesn't have a configuration menu)

jadecolour wrote:Okay, this time it works almost perfectly for me. I like the the configuration menu where you can choose to enable SSH, etc.

Still two minor issues though:

1. Now every time it boots it gives a warning on mount point '/squashfs' not exist.

Can safely ignore that message.
Just Debian's startup scripts noticing that there is a mountpoint it has not been told about (used by Berryboot internally).

2. There is a failed service resize2fs_once printout line for every boot.

I resized up my partition through the configuration menu.

No need to resize it when you install through Berryboot.
It always formats your card to span the entire disk.
by Max » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:31 pm
AlArenal wrote:Indeed my 'Logitech' kb is a Cherry Evolution Stream XT and that's why the module hid_cherry is loaded. But shouldn't it just be needed for the few multimedia keys I'm not using anyways?

Wouldn't count on that :-)

Can you try if the following kernel works better for you?
http://dl.berryboot.com/tmp/cherry-kernel.zip

Has the module built-in.
Just extract it to the first FAT partition of your razor sd card.
by AlArenal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:46 pm
Max wrote:Can you try if the following kernel works better for you?

Has the module built-in.

That works for the keyboard, but seems to break ethernet. A sudo ifup eth0 brings an error message, that no such device could be found.
by Max » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:08 pm
AlArenal wrote:
Max wrote:Can you try if the following kernel works better for you?

Has the module built-in.

That works for the keyboard, but seems to break ethernet. A sudo ifup eth0 brings an error message, that no such device could be found.

Hmm, seems to be a bug in the image.
To correct try: sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
by AlArenal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:19 pm
Max wrote:Hmm, seems to be a bug in the image.
To correct try: sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Ah, that worked! After reboot eth0 is up and running now.

Thank you very much for your support!