Raspbian LXDE theme

4 posts
by ZirconiumX » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 pm
This is based on a Linux Mint LXDE theme that I stumbled across while doing a google search - and as I am not using my pi (forums disallow multiple login), and hence have no pictures to show you.

So here is the Linux Mint theme tutorial.

I'll try to do the best I can. I apologise for the hugely different websites - I'm just doing a google search and gathering/foraging for whatever I can.

First a little prep is in order.

• Download the raspberry pi wallpaper. Put it in /usr/share/lxde.You should recognise it from Debian Squeeze.
  • Next, you'll have to get the raspberry pi icon. This should also go in /usr/share/lxde.
  • Now some nitty gritty stuff. Open up a LXTerminal and run (sudo if non-root) apt-get install obconf openbox-themes. This will get some thmes for the R-Pi and a manager to use them.

Now - with that done - we can begin to change the themes.

• First the background. I hope that this picture makes it clear. It's the Wallpaper box. Click Browse and find /usr/share/lxde and choose 'Raspi-background-tomg.co.jpg'. Click OK. You should have a Raspberry Pi background to play with.
  • Next right-click the icon at the very bottom left corner. Select "Menu" Settings from the menu. This should give you a pop-up with another browse button. Guess what you have to do with it? Yup, Click it, go to /usr/share/lxde and select raspberry-pi.jpg. Click OK. You should have a raspberry pi icon where the LXDE icon used to be. (I'm sorry - if anyone could suggest a transparent bordered R-Pi image it would be greatly appreciated.)
  • This is why I asked you to get OBConf. Open a terminal if you haven't already done so, and type 'obconf' (without the quotes) OBConf usually complains about assertions failling and stuff like that. Ignore it, it will launch fine regardless. Once OBConf has launched, find the 'Simply-Red' theme, and select it. Click OK, and you're done.

If I've done this tutorial correctly, and you've followed it correctly, then you should have a LXDE desktop which is somewhat more R-Pi flavoured.

Matthew:out
by john.mills » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:44 pm
Hi all,

As an example of what I consider to be good integration of the LXDE desktop take a look at ROSA Linux:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/06/22/ro ... de-review/

If MATE was considered not to be the best choice for Raspbian then possibly something like this would look great and serve as a sound basis for a desktop distribution. I particulary like what has been done with the login manager, theme chosen and PCmanFM. Just because the Pi doesn't have the greatest specs doen't mean it can't look beautiful out of the box.

Regards,

John
by PaulCheffus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:31 pm
ZirconiumX wrote:[*] First the background. I hope that this picture makes it clear. It's the Wallpaper box. Click Browse and find /usr/share/lxde and choose 'Raspi-background-tomg.co.jpg'. Click OK. You should have a Raspberry Pi background to play with.

Matthew:out

Hi

Please could you tell me where to find the option to change the wallpaper none of the screens I can find in the Wheezy Startx I have shows the screen above.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by RomanNV » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:44 am
It's more easy.
Type in terminal pcmanfm --desktop-pref
and have a change wallpaper.