Useful Screen, or Useless Garbage? RePicyling?

11 posts
by Pygar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:52 pm
Last night I tried to use my old Initial DVD5820 DVD player, with a 5.8" screen. It wouldn't spin up or anything- clearly, dead, but the screen lit up OK. Not worth fixing, as old as it is. Rather than pitch the whole thing, i took it apart, and saved the screen, which is a Sharp 5.6" TFT 400 (RGB) x 234 module, along with its driver board. The casing holds it all, plus two tiny stereo speakers, driven by their own three wires. The driver board has DVD5820TFT on it. I found out three companies sold this DVD player under their own brand, but with "5820" as the model. I get no Google results from the driver board "name".

What I have is a tiny white connector going to the screen, with twelve wires. The first two are white and black, and thicker. I suspect power- the unit has a cold cathode light- for these two. The remaining ten are red, yellow, gray, black, green, orange, white, blue, black, light red.

I looked for any data on this module, and found zip. I'd like to make it a Pi screen, if at all possible. If Psone screens were priced more reasonably, I'd be tempted to use one of those- but I have this screen on hand. Does anyone know if this unit can be hooked up to serve as a Piscreen?
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"
by computerpie » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:40 pm
More than likely you aren't going to be able to turn a monitor into it. It could be a fun project to hook to the GPIO and program the Pi to write to it. There are a few people here working on projects like that and I saw someone yesterday had hooked a small lcd screen to the gpio and programmed it to say hello.

The tough part is to figure out what all those wires are. The color coding has no significance as I am aware of. There is going to be a mixture of power, data lines and control lines that have to be pulled high or low to write data to it.

There should be an IC chip that is the main controller. It might have a part number and manufacturer on it that you can google and get a pin out. You then might be able to reverse engineer the chip pinouts back to the connector. I wouldn't just connect pins to your Pi without knowing what they are it could damage your board and brick it.

The other white connector is probably the backlite to the screen.

Good luck.
Pi1>OS: Rasbian Pi2>OS:Xbian .63
1:HDMI>>DVI>>Flat Screen Monitor
2: HDMI>>Toshiba 37" LCD
1:ASUS Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse
2:Logitech wireless mouse, CEC remote
SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD
by texy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:37 am
The "DVD5820TFT" is just a reference to the DVD model it is used in. What you need is a part number for the actual display, or perhaps the IC on the driver board.

Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
by ceteras » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:17 pm
Most portable DVD players have an "AV in" feature.
Check to see if you have it, usually it's a 3.5mm stereo jack where you can plug in your composite video signal (RPi RCA connector).
I've got a Panasonic LV60 which works in this setup, see your user manual, if you still have it.

Edit: as for using the LCD panel, you could do it only if you purchase an adapter for it, it's way too complicated to DIY. Trust me, been there, done that, it's not worth it.
Adapters can be found on ebay, contact this user, give them the LCD model number and ask for an adapter.
by Pygar » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 pm
There's no input jack on this, sorry. What is has is a screen- on the back is

LQ058T3GG01S, the model number, plus, here and there, 28001261, B0125, and 27009261.

The electronics package has TFT5820 on it, the model number I'm sure, plus 007-62 020921

The two main chips on the board say LZ9GH22 Sharp Japan 0229A, and TR3429B Sharp Japan 0225.

Any ideas?
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"
by texy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:20 pm
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
by Pygar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:07 am
Yes, that is it all right.
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"
by TommyboyNL » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:05 pm
Please post some pictures of the driving board, that'll make helping you a lot easier.
by Pygar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:15 pm
No camera. Clearly, this idea was a no-starter.

I have found something that the more experienced minds here may make use of. Electronics Goldmine has an LCD module, their URL http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/p ... ber=G18246, and I found its pinout on http://forum.lcdinfo.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9011 . So if anyone wants to build a screen from this, it may be possible.

Hope this helps someone...
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"
by marktbaldridge » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:06 pm
I took apart a DVD player once that didn't have a composite in, but the screen was a simple composite signal. If you have an osciliscope, hook it to your raspberry pi, get it tuned up to see NTSC signals, and then poke around on the header pins on your DVD player's main board that the LCD plugs into.

Also, does it look like there's a lot of circutry on the LCD side? Enough to be an NTSC demodulator? Or do your extra ten wires go right into the LCD module? Also try scraping away any glue around the wires on both sides of the cable. There may be some labeling on the PCB.

Just some thoughts.
by OMightyBuggy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:51 pm
I posted a reply to another thread about some cheap screens you can use on the Raspberry Pi, if you want to take a look just scroll to my post.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=11801
3DS: (Bug) 0001-3871-6785