Raspberry Pi with Kindle Fire Hd (7")

19 posts
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:51 am
How would you connect a Kindle Fire HD to a Raspberry Pi?
If you give me just a link that would be OK, but a in-depth explanation would be nice.
The kindle has a HDMI "out" port, I think that's what it's called.
by rpdom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 am
If the Kindle had an HDMI "in" port, you could connect that to the Raspberry Pi HDMI "out" port.

As it doesn't have an "in" port you can't connect it.
by ghans » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:21 am
Can you root it ?
Then you should be able to use VNC or any
remote desktop protocol you want through Android Apps.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 pm
As it must not have been obvious, the Kindle also has a fully capable charger which ends with a USB and can transfer all types of files. I can rip music and photos to it very easily (same type of cable an iPhone has, but a bit more lenient about file transfer)

It seems to me like first off that you would plug the Kindle directly to the raspberry pi and then download software of some sort :|
I have no idea as I've never used Linux or Windows before. I have a Mac Mini (very good desktop, mind you) but just got the Kindle Fire for the holidays.

On the topic of rooting: I can't because all software and tutorials I have found require either Windows or a older version of whatever Android OS the Kindle runs.
by rpdom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm
If the Kindle Fire works the same way as the earlier Kindles do, it will appear to the Pi as a standard USB memory stick and files can be copied to and from it with no problem. I have done this with a Debian Linux system and my wife's Kindle.
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:28 pm
Sir. we have been deviating from my main question here.

How would I use it as a touchscreen/monitor?
The whole point of this is that I want to turn my Kindle into a laptop-.
by ghans » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:37 pm
If you are unable to install non-Amazon-sanctioned Apps
you're out of luck IMHO. In the meantime you could search for
VNC or X Server Apps on the Store of the Kindle.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 pm
When plugging my Kindle into my mac through USB, it opens AndroFileTransfer, what I use to rip my files to and from my Kindle. Would it be possible to download apps you were talking about off the Internet, don't run them on my Mac, then rip them immediately to my Kindle?
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:50 pm
When searching "VNC" in the Store, it comes up with some stuff then comes up with "Splashtop", an app I already have that lets me use my Kindle as a monitor/mouse for my Mac wirelessly.

I think I just solved my own question. Now, the question is, will there be a Splashtop streamer for any of the ported OSes for RPi?
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:54 pm
Yep. Splashtop.com says you can download it for Linux, windows, and mac.

Is Ubuntu supported on Rpi?
by ghans » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm
Nope. Search around , it is mentioned every 6 hours here. :D
So , did you have a closer look at VNC Apps ?

ghans
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm
Splashtop IS a VNC app, much better than others, I just didn't realize that's what you meant.
It uses a streamer on the computer and a app on the tablet/phone to connect the phone as a screen, keyboard, and mouse (touchpad)
by ghans » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:27 pm
So does this really use RFB/VNC or a kind of
"advanced Splashtop streaming technology" (not a real quote) .
I'm talking about VNC as the protocol , not the technique.

ghans
by BladeFury1789 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:51 pm
Well, it claims to be 10x faster than VNC and LogMeIn and others, and has a video proving it, so i think it's NOT vnc in any case.
by ghans » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 am
Then you have to use VNC , or (pretty ) unlikely to work :
X11 forwarding.
The Pi doesn't support anything else.

ghans
by Michael Meissner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 am
I got a non-HD Kindle Fire for Christmas. The Amazon app store has VNC in it, and I was able to use it to connect briefly with a laptop running Linux with normal VNC on it using my wifi router. I haven't taken much time to look in detail at present.

I suspect it will work on Raspberry Pi if you have it connected to the network. Note, the non-HD Kindle cannot handle peer to peer Wifi networks (i.e. if you put a wifi dongle on your Pi and assign IP addresses manually), but if you have an infrastructure setup (either with a wifi router, or done with the appropriate commands in Linux), it should work.

If you are just doing text work, there were SSH clients as well as VNC.
by jamesh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 am
Michael Meissner wrote:I got a non-HD Kindle Fire for Christmas. The Amazon app store has VNC in it, and I was able to use it to connect briefly with a laptop running Linux with normal VNC on it using my wifi router. I haven't taken much time to look in detail at present.

I suspect it will work on Raspberry Pi if you have it connected to the network. Note, the non-HD Kindle cannot handle peer to peer Wifi networks (i.e. if you put a wifi dongle on your Pi and assign IP addresses manually), but if you have an infrastructure setup (either with a wifi router, or done with the appropriate commands in Linux), it should work.

If you are just doing text work, there were SSH clients as well as VNC.

I got my eldest one of those for Xmas - he loves it, and I got £30 off in the Amazon promotion. Didn't realise you could VNC/SSH - might have to get one myself now...
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Michael Meissner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 am
jamesh wrote:
Michael Meissner wrote:I got my eldest one of those for Xmas - he loves it, and I got £30 off in the Amazon promotion. Didn't realise you could VNC/SSH - might have to get one myself now...

I posted the previous message when I was at work, and I'm at home now with the Kindle.

The free VNC app that I installed is VMConsole: http://www.amazon.com/Project-Eureka-LLC-VMConsole/dp/B006JF13WO/ref=sr_1_13?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357617255&sr=1-13&keywords=vnc

I just tried it out a little more, and it worked fine. The Kindle is clear enough that I can shrink the screen and still be able to read the text on the xterms.

Now, there are two downsides to the Kindle Fire that I have:
  • Typing text via an on-screen is rather slower than using a keyboard, but if you primarily use a WIMP (windows, icon, mouse, pointer) type interface, it should be fine.
  • In terms of the keyboard, the Kindle Fire does not have bluetooth, so I don't think an external keyboard is possible. I think the Kindle Fire HD does have bluetooth.
  • If I use it more frequently, I will probably resize my VNC display to match the Kindle's screen.
  • Unlike the black & white Kindles/Nooks that can last for days on a battery charge, you pretty much have to charge the Kindle Fire every day.

I also loaded Server Auditor/SSH client, but at the moment, I have my SSH systems configured to require identity.pub and not a typed password, so I wasn't able to try it out. http://www.amazon.com/Crystalnix-Server-Auditor-SSH-Client/dp/B008PAGIGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357618211&sr=1-1&keywords=ssh.
by enzokieth » Sat May 18, 2013 10:25 am
Why sometimes it says that you can't download using Linux, does this one needs to be rooted instead?
"we design Kindle cases - visit me at http://www.kekacase.com/design-your-own/custom-case-for-the-kindle-fire.html "