Some ex-PDA screen options

4 posts
by XE1UFO » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:31 am
Dear Friends,

Greetings form central Mexico. I am new here, so bear with me. My PI has not arrived yet.

I have a half dozen Hewlett Packard Jornada 680, 690 and 720 handheld computers. These are WindowsCE machines with built-in keyboards. I also have a Nec 790 and a Nec 900 handheld PC. (Also Windows CE machines.) Also have a Psion 5MX and a Psion 7. (Yes: I am partial to PDA's with keyboards.)

I am wondering what would be the possibility of using the screens from these for the PI. Or maybe (crazy thought!) building the PI into one of these instead of the original mother board?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
by ceteras » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 pm
NEC900 has a DSTN display, Psion5MX's is a grayscale, Psion7 is STN.
Hewlett Packard Jornada 680, 690 and 720 are all CSTN.

These are all old technologies, I'm not aware of any simple solution to interface the RPi with them.
If it would have been TFT LCD, then that would be actually feasible.
With TFT you can have a display working without the need for special drivers.
Other than that, perhaps some of your machines' displays could have an integrated controller so they could be connected to the GPIO. You need to disassemble your machines, write down the screens' model numbers and look them up on google, you need their pdf datasheets.
by Montala » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:46 pm
How about something like this, for example? (http://www.adafruit.com/products/797)

Would it work OK with a Pi?
by ceteras » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:54 pm
The Adafruit display has an integrated TFT driver (HX8340) which can be connected through SPI.
But I don't know if linux drivers exist for it, so the GPU can talk to it through SPI, I think not.
You can write your own software to display stuff on it, though.