Raspberri Pi with laptop

10 posts
by raspfly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 am
I think most of you will consider this as a weird question but still i wish to know if it is in any way possible to use a laptop's screen as Raspberry's Screen. I mean i use my laptop as long as i wish to but when i wish to work with Raspberry can i use that laptop's display as raspberry's screen ? I just wish to save table space. I am interested in trying out several things on Raspberry but would like to avoid placing / buying another monitor / tv just to experiment.
by SN » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 am
if you only need the console on the pi (i.e. no graphics) then just get hold of a copy of putty and from your laptop ssh into the pi - X windows access is also possible
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by raspfly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 am
Wellllll ! i am not too good with all that so did not understand :)
by ghans » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am
Just google VNC and ad-hoc network.
You'll perhaps need a crossover cable- if your laptop doesn't support Auto-MDIX.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Gummy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:34 am
how would I achieve the task of ssh to raspbmc to add in some plugins?

A link to a video tutorial would be helpful?
by ghans » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:28 am
Can you start your Pi and connect to the internet ?
If you succeed , drop to the commandline and enter
Code: Select all
  ifconfig

And note down you IP address (4 numbers seperated by dots , should begin with 192 or 10 )

Install the "PuTTY" terminal program on your other PC/Laptop (which should be connected to the same network).
If you don't want to install it , it can be found at PortableApps.com.

Start PuTTY , enter the Pi's IP , select "SSH" , enter username and password.
Done.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by AndrewS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 am
by Jim Manley » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am
ghans - whoa, whoa, whoa! If he doesn't know what ssh and VNC are, he's probably not going to understand where to download PuTTY from, how to set up a wired Ethernet connection on both the Pi and the PC, etc. He may not even be able to get his Pi on the Internet directly, yet.

Gummy - PuTTY is available from:

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/lat ... /putty.zip

This includes some other things you'll need, especially PSCP and PSFTP (for securely transferring files to/from the Pi).

Open the Zip file with WinZip, 7Zip, or other decompression utility (some versions of Windoze include the ability to open/create compressed files/folders directly) and extract the files, which can be run from anywhere.

If you don't know how to set up the Ethernet port on the Pi, that could take some work, so, let us know if you need help with that.

Connect an Ethernet cable between the Pi and either directly to a PC with an Ethernet port, or a network hub/switch that is in turn connected to a PC (Cat 5 cable is fine, Cat 5e and Cat 6 are slightly more expensive, but, they'll work, and will be usable for faster networks you may use with other computers). All colors of Ethernet cables are straight-through, except orange ones are usually crossover cables. As long as you're using a computer built within the last half-dozen years, or so, either a straight-through or crossover cable should work if the Pi is directly connected to the PC via Ethernet. You should use straight-through cables when connecting to an Ethernet hub/switch, just to be safe, although newer hubs/switches should work with either kind of cable.

Now, you can do what ghans discussed, using ifconfig on the Pi to find out its Ethernet address, and PuTTY to establish a connection between the Pi and the PC using the address of the Pi.

Let us know if this makes any sense and if you need more specific help, such as how to set up PuTTY on the PC and connect to the Pi. If you do get the PuTTY window up and talking to the Pi, ssh should present a user ID login prompt in the PuTTY window. Fill that in (e.g., pi), then the password field when prompted next (e.g., raspberry), and bingo-bango, you should be logged into the Pi from the PC.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by Gummy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 pm
Thank you thank you thank you to all

Great instructions easy to understand

Excellent support forum

Many thanks I can now start using my raspberry pi
by AndrewS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:07 pm
A+++ would use again!
;)