RPi unable to make my TV smart?

5 posts
by designingweborg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:32 am
Hi RPians,

When I was first intro to RPi, I jumped onboard and ordered it.

My initial intention is to make my TV "smart" - surfing the web and watch videos - kindda like a setup box for my TV (with HDMI inputs).

Only when the board arrived and now starting to flash the SD etc. I then realised that currently Flash is not supported?

I've read through the forum a bit to see if this Flash thing can be resolved but it seems the many threads I've come across doesn't quite give a definite resolution (or I've simply miss a great solution out).

So, with RPi, can I really achieve what I've envisioned? To surf and watch (Flash) videos with my TV?

Best Regards,
Will
by jbeale » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:32 am
The Flash spec is owned by Adobe. It is not open-source code. Adobe has not provided a full Flash implementation for ARM6 of any type. There apparently is an ARM6 hosted "Flash-Lite" version for Android OS, but there is no Flash solution, as far as I know, for the R-Pi, and no prospect of one. The R-Pi can do many things, but if Flash is a requirement for you then the R-Pi is not the solution.
by cashaw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:47 am
If it's watching YouTube videos then XBMC is the way to go !

If can also be used to surf, but I have not tried that yet.
by bredman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 am
The Chromium web browser works reasonably well. It can be a bit slow to render some larger pages, but it is a lot better than a dumb TV.

Also, remember that a lot of the bigger web sites offer HTML5 if you do not have Adobe Flash available.
by mahjongg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 am
You do not need flash to watch video's (on youtube), programs like XBMC use a different technology to show videos.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator