LaTeX on RPi

6 posts
by darkstar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 am
Being a LaTeX user I wanted to see if it was any good on the RPi: yes but a little slow (about like running it on a 10yo PC). Else it works fine.

Note that it originates from the 1970s when university computers were less powerful than our phones, and so it is quite efficient. You supply a text file with some markup, compile it and out comes a PDF (or dvi, ... ).

Because it is text based there is a learning curve, but the LaTeX macro packages make this smoother. Originally designed for typesetting maths, it can be made to output all sorts of things. One company I know uses it in their in-house XML publishing system (XML+edits in and PDF out).

This summer texlive 2012 will be out and support armel, so it should work with the RPi. Then you can use an updated version rather than the 2010 version that's in squeeze.

I use it for preparing documents. Because it is programmable I can add customised features as I go. Also because it outputs PDF the finished document ports to any platform with all the typography preserved; unlike other systems.
by danpeirce » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:02 pm
My RPi is installing texlive at the moment. I have not used LaTeX much yet but it is on my windows PC. I'm thinking it will be handy having it run on the RPi and accessible remotely from my other devices.
by darkstar » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 am
Two ways to install texlive on a linux/debian box: via your traditional package manager and direct from the DVD/usb/internet image. The advantage of using texlive directly is that its updates are indenpendant of the distro's package maintainers. Armel is on the standard texlive distro. An armhf binary set is in the pipeline.

Runs reasonably quickly on a RPi. Note that it was designed to run on 1970s mini-computers so the Pi's got more than enough grunt. You edit the document in a text-only editor, which doesn't challenge the CPU. Everysoften you run LaTeX to get it to update the PDF, which you have open in an xpdf window.

The nice feature of the newer TeX implementations is that lua is available in the back. So you can run a document that has some "proper" programming behind it.
by psutton » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:31 am
On this has lyx been ported to ARM< I am guessing as its in debian then perhaps there is a build somewhere for debian ARM just depends which ARM chips are supported.
by pplanken » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:48 am
I realize this is an old thread, but in case anyone wonders about latex on the rpi:
I installed "kile" and "okular, (okular is a programme that allows you to view .ps and .pdf files):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install kile
sudo apt-get install okular,
and I'm amazed at how well this works on the pi. I tested it on an 8 page document containing 6 .eps figures and also quite a few equations. It works beautifully! Not slow at all.
I use latex a lot for writing scientific papers and am now doing it on the pi. Printing the resulting pdf (using CUPS) on an HP laserjet 1022 went smoothly although the printer paused about one second before printing a new page.
I have a pi with 512 MB ram, the latest Wheezy install, and have overclocking set to "medium". Oh, and I have my root file system on an external harddisk.
Kile takes up quite a lot of space, I think, at least 200 MB.

Paul

p.s. Disclaimer: I'm an absolute Linux beginner
by antinom » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:14 pm
I know this is now a super old thread, but it was extremely helpful for a total linux novice like myself. I use latex for research papers too, and now I can do so on my Pi at work! For anyone who is seeking to do the same,
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install kile
sudo apt-get install okular

works perfectly. I thought I was going to have to install texlive in addition, but it seems like I don't. Kile also has a helpful `system check' option in the settings menu to see what you're missing.

Thanks again!