High speed peripheral connections?

2 posts
by Los Frijoles » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 am
I am looking into using the raspberry pi B for my next project. Part of the project needs a high speed link to the computer (~100Mbps-2Gbps depending on how much memory I decide to work into the peripheral...its a logic analyzer/oscilloscope) and so I was wondering if there was any way to hook up something like this without having to use the USB ports?

I want to avoid the usb ports because my original plan called for a USB 2.0 capable microcontroller/processor (kinda expensive and complicated) attached to an FPGA and if I were to just use a high speed serial interface with some sort of simple protocol I can skip the microcontroller and just hook up the FPGA directly. Also, I could just hook the FPGA in to the SPI interface that is exposed on the gpio pins for simple control.

Looking at the overview it looks like the baud rate on the serial port is limited to 115200 or something like that and I read that the signaling rate on the gpio port is limited to ~100Mhz and at that speed it makes a sine wave, so I am not sure how well that would work.

I am looking at the raspberry pi mainly because the price is good, it has useful peripherals for my application, and doesn't require me to re-invent the wheel. Do you guys think the link I am suggesting above is possible with the raspberry pi or should I look to another platform?
by AndrewS » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:25 pm
I think the only interfaces that have the bandwidth you're looking for are the CSI and DSI interfaces, and they're both "GPU-side" and so can only be programmed by people inside Broadcom. So you may need to select a different platform :(