How many Pi's are out there now?

36 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by RaspberryPiBeginners » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:42 pm
Do we know how many Pi's have made it into the big bad world yet. I know the maps shows us, quite a few but they wont all be on there.
Click here for my unofficial YouTube Channel > http://goo.gl/oFYBD
by rurwin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 pm
IIRC, there are due to be 150,000 by the end of June. We're about two or three weeks into that schedule, so there are around 50,000-75,000 out now.

In case it wasn't obvious, that's a wild guess based on press-release numbers.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by itimpi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:12 pm
I think that is low as Farnell were talking about 120,000 by themselves.

Of course anything we say is pure speculation until someone who is really in the know says something about these numbers.
by grumpyoldgit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 pm
The RS numbers are only just going through the 16xxx mark so there may be a lot more on order but probably just over 30,000 in the wild.
by liz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 pm
I'm not allowed to give out breakdowns per distributor, but I can tell you that there are just over 50k in the wild, and a few thousand more being manufactured every day. Work's being done to get the daily manufacture rate up at the moment, as well.
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by W. H. Heydt » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:19 pm
I don't have one YET, but...

Newark/element 14 did a lot of shifting around of dates. When they finally were able to give an actual "estimated ship date", it was for the week of 18 June. Since then, it moved up. AS of Monday, it was in UPS' hands with a delivery commitment of 8 June...so I should have one in two days. I placed the order on 3 March...
by hippy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:17 pm
liz wrote:I'm not allowed to give out breakdowns per distributor, but I can tell you that there are just over 50k in the wild

It seems a pretty bad showing for RS, or Farnell were - shall we say - being over-optimistic / economical with the truth ...

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-43262/l/updated-28-may-frequently-asked-questions-about-raspberry-pi wrote:We are delighted to say that we will have shipped out 41,000 Pi’s globally by the end of May

Have RS really only shipped 10K ? 4K of which were ready to go when compliance testing completed early April, so just 6K more shipped in two months ?
by liz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm
Ah crap - you're right. I've just checked, and it seems I was working off old data - it's actually closer to 85k. (Sorry.) :oops:
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by hippy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm
liz wrote:it's actually closer to 85k.

Thanks and that's good news. Fits with my hoped prediction of each completing ~100K by end of June, ~150K end of July, and come August ( perhaps earlier ) the existing 'interested' backlog should be cleared and it's onto the home run.
by Montala » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 pm
The above comments seem to imply that both companies will have shipped similar numbers by the end of June, but I believe it is only Farnell/Element 14 who have actually made a definitive statement that all customers who actually placed an order with them before 18th April will have it fulfilled by the end of June.

RS on the other hand give the impression that they are running about four weeks later than this, as I described in another thread at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7417

Hopefully though a lot more Pi's will be shipped in the next three weeks, as things start to settle down a bit... and I sincerely hope that at least one of them will be heading in my direction! :)
by rurwin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:39 pm
Montala wrote:The above comments seem to imply that both companies will have shipped similar numbers by the end of June, but I believe it is only Farnell/Element 14 who have actually made a definitive statement that all customers who actually placed an order with them before 18th April will have it fulfilled by the end of June.

RS on the other hand give the impression that they are running about four weeks later than this,

But the numbers are not necessarily the same in each case. RS faired better than Farnell on launch day; they were down for a shorter period, which may mean they got tens of thousands of registrations that Farnell didn't.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jim Manley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:20 am
Your're assuming that those outside the UK were ever able to access the RS and Farnell sites. As it turned out, neither RS nor Farnell were accessible in North America (NA) for most of February 29th (and intermittently for the next several days). Farnell initially required a physical address and business in the UK (even the city had to be selected from a pop-up menu - no write-ins allowed, even the submitted postal code had to match the selected city), and not even an e-mail address could be entered without a valid snail-mail address. RS's site initially attempted to allow pre-orders, and by the time they fell back to just accepting e-mail addresses for "interest", their site had long since become inaccessible from NA.

Unless one happened to get on Twitter and find out when RS's and Farnell's partner's (Allied and Newark, respectively, in NA) sites were eventually acknowledging the existence of the Pi, it could have been many hours, if not days, before a pre-order could be submitted from NA (and most other parts of the world, I suspect). Soon after Allied's and Newark's sites finally did start accepting pre-orders, they essentially became victims of the unintentional distributed denial of service attack (it was at least four hours after the launch started, but, I couldn't get into either site for at least six hours). In both cases, one had to create an account, and both sites were finicky about things like minimum password length and composition with letters, numbers, etc., customer ID with no spaces, dashes, or underscores allowed, and so forth.

So, the variance in order acquisitions between distributors was much more complicated, as both RS and Farnell had partners with sites in each country/region, each with widely differing abilities to allow pre-ordering or expressing interest, as well as keeping up with access demand. There is still no clear connection between the distributors' and their partners' ordering systems, as the order numbers, customer IDs, etc., are not recognized across the distributors'/partners' sites, at least at the customer's level of visibility, and the e-mails from the respective distributors/partners provide no clues, either.

It will be interesting to see if things get any better once educational institutions are able to order systems in bulk (with cases, power supplies, pre-loaded SD cards, USB hubs, Ethernet hubs/switches, cables, etc., complicating the situation).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by Robert_M » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:18 am
I was able to get thru to the RS website from Washington state at the very beginning of the sales launch, and to "register interest" within just a few minutes. I then saw on the R-Pi Twitter feed that there was supposed to be a more in-depth order option available and so went back and tried again at RS, coming away with only registering interest a second time. Which one of these ultimately led to my actual RS order? I don't know.

Farnell was a different story. I went there after I learned that my registry on RS wasn't an actual placed order and tried to order there. And it's true that I was unable to get into the system over there. I kept trying over the next few hours and did get into the system but found, as you mentioned, that it wasn't set up to accept non-UK information. I didn't try again until March 3rd at the North America Element 14/Farnell site, and that went thru easily and placed an order. Beside one email acknowledging that order placement, I've not heard anything back from Farnell and assume that order has probably been canceled. Which is okay, since RS sent me an R-Pi last month.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.
by RaspberryPiBeginners » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:40 am
It was always going to be tricky for people outside of the UK to get a Pi at the initial launch. As I live in the UK it's great to have a product made here for once, it's so rare for us in the UK to ever get something first.

Liz mentioned above that they are ramping up the production so hopefully they will be able to get the 165 thousand units out soon and start taking orders again as America didn't really get a look in.
by AndrewS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:08 pm
RaspberryPiBeginners wrote:As I live in the UK it's great to have a product made here for once, it's so rare for us in the UK to ever get something first.

Designed in the UK, but still "Made in China" :P ;)
by RaspberryPiBeginners » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:32 pm
Designed in the UK, but still "Made in China" :P ;)

Very true they did try hard to get it made in the UK but just wasn't going to happen.
by SN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:10 pm
Interfering European Trade Rules stopped it being made in the UK ISTR. . .
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by Jongoleur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 pm
SN wrote:Interfering European Trade Rules stopped it being made in the UK ISTR. . .

I think capacity was also a major factor. I believe that when enquiries were being made about UK manufacture for the first 10K were being made, offers to produce the first batch either by June or some hundreds at an earlier date were on the table (remember, this was before 29/2). So it was not just trade rules that resulted in manufacturing being outsourced to China.

Just think, at the beginning of the year, there were worries that 10K might be an ambitious target. Now there's talk of half a million by September.

Its a bloody marvel!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by jamesh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 pm
According to Eben in this article,

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/education/3 ... ry-student

200k within a month, 500k by September.
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:46 pm
He told me not to give anyone that particular stat the other day, but since he went and blabbed in in front of a load of journalists today, I'm guessing we've got the go-ahead to discuss it now!
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by theHetman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:23 pm
liz wrote:He told me not to give anyone that particular stat the other day, but since he went and blabbed in in front of a load of journalists today, I'm guessing we've got the go-ahead to discuss it now!

So what did the BBC Master sell? I think the Pi should pass that target over the summer. :)
by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm
We already have. It sold about 200k. (Get me! Stats at my fingertips!)
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by RaspberryPiBeginners » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:36 pm
Fantastic news the foundation must be using more factory's or just sorted out more time on the production line.
by Montala » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:02 pm
RaspberryPiBeginners wrote:Fantastic news the foundation must be using more factory's or just sorted out more time on the production line.

I understood that is the two distributors (Farnell & RS) who are responsible for the manufacture now, rather than the Foundation, and that they are using (at least) two separate factories for this purpose... or isn't this in fact the case?
by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 pm
Each manufacturer/distributor has independent production lines, and both of them are pedalling as fast and as hard as they can to get output up (hence the swelling figures).
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation