I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

771 posts   Page 14 of 31   1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 31
by btesser » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:50 am
Got a new microhdmi cable. Problem solved. Anyone get two finger scrolling in raspbian
by JonB » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:42 am
btesser wrote:Got a new microhdmi cable. Problem solved. Anyone get two finger scrolling in raspbian

I think the Atrix Lapdock doesn't support 2 finger scrolling as it isn't multitouch (or so I read here). Certainly mine doesn't (in any Linux version), which spoils the experience for me. There are some other docks that do, though - not sure which.
by Lob0426 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 am
There seems to have been some progress made with the USB issues. This progress is also helping withe Lapdock WiFi issues.
If you are using the Wheezy/Raspian hard float.
And you have used rpi-update to come up to kernel 3.2.27 preempt #24.
And you add the following to /boot/cmdline.txt
Code: Select all
dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=1

viewtopic.php?p=154539#p154539

You should not have problems with your Ethernet fighting your WiFi. I added this last night and it works very well. I can use either wired or wired without unplugging the WiFi or wireless without disabling the Ethernet. As a matter of fact it works with both at the same time. Of course it defaults to wired when available.

There is still a problem with low speed USB devices in conjunction with high speed devices. They are still looking into that. Since I have all high speed devices attached to my Lapdock I do not see that issue.
My current Lapdock setup is.
RasPi booting from a 512MB micro SD in an adapter.
Rootfs on a seagate 640GB GoFlex USB HDD. 22GB partition with a 512MB swap partition. The rest of the drive is unallocated at present.
Linksys WiFi adapter WUSB54GC.
I use network-manager-gnome to manage the Wireless. It works in and out of LXDE.
Good luck with the new setup!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by Deicist » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:58 am
Hi, hope this doesn't get shot down with 'read the thread' type posts, since I have actually read through the thread and there's diffirent people saying different things about which cables are required....

If I'm after the simplest (ie: no splicing cables / soldering if at all possible) way of connecting my pi to my lapdock, which cables do I need?

Reading the thread has led me to believe I just need:

The blackberry usb Y cable.
some form of converter for that cable to connect it to the lapdock.
An hdmi cable
a converter for the hdmi cable to connect it to the lapdock.

Is that about it? Have I missed anything? Is anyone currently, or planning on, selling a bundle of these cables in the UK for a reasonable markup?
by Jim Manley » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:45 pm
Deicist wrote:If I'm after the simplest (ie: no splicing cables / soldering if at all possible) way of connecting my pi to my lapdock, which cables do I need? The blackberry usb Y cable,
some form of converter for that cable to connect it to the lapdock. an hdmi cable, and a converter for the hdmi cable to connect it to the lapdock.

Is anyone currently, or planning on, selling a bundle of these cables in the UK for a reasonable markup?

The Blackberry Y cable connects direcfly to the male micro-USB plug on the lapdock swing- up docking cradle. You need an adaptor with a female micro- USB connector and a male full- size USB-A connector that is used to connect the Blackberry Y cable male data connector to one of the Pi USB sockets. The Blackberry power micro-USB male connector is plugged directly into the Pi female micro-USB power input port. Note that some adapters advertised as having a female micro-USB connector actually have a female mini-USB connector and there's no way to tell from the lo-res photos on ePrey, etc.

Depending on what you buy, the micro-HDMI female connector is attached directly to the lapdock cradle male micro-HDMI plug, and the other end of that cable/adaptor combo needs to be a full-sized male HDMI connector that plugs into the Pi HDMI socket. There are several choices for the HDMI cable/adapter combo, but, beware that some female micro-HDMI adapters may need to be trimmed to fit onto the cradle plug and adjacent to the micro-USB connection for the Blackberry Y cable.

I plan to offer the right combo of cables/adaptors and a direct cable set (no adaptors needed) with a few days delivery time by post/mail to the US, UK, and most other countries. What do you think is "a reasonable markup", keeping in mind the cost of international First Class / Air Mail postage?
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by Nigel Day » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 pm
Deicist wrote:Reading the thread has led me to believe I just need:

The blackberry usb Y cable.
some form of converter for that cable to connect it to the lapdock.
An hdmi cable
a converter for the hdmi cable to connect it to the lapdock.

I use That comes to under £14, postage included/'free', for everything but the HDMI cable - which you probably will have lying around anyway. The longest wait was for the micro HDMI coupler, which came from China.
(Jim: if I could have got something equivalent to this plus a short HDMI cable from one place with shortish delivery times for, say £20, then I would have done so. If you do put together a kit, make sure it is not tied just to the Raspi: I use my lapdock as a second screen + secondary input device for my hdmi-equipped tablet and notebook, and a monitor/playback device for my camcorder, so having it as a kit of parts is useful.)
(By the way, where can I get a short - one to two foot, say - HDMI cable?)
by kyelo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:53 pm
Nigel Day said:
By the way, where can I get a short - one to two foot, say - HDMI cable?

I have this one (8 inches) on order, so I can't give a 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory' verdict yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Hdmi-Port-Saver-Cable/dp/B000Q6WEFW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345907965&sr=1-1&keywords=8+inch+hdmi+port+saver

The down side is that the complementary adapter is fairly expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Female-Converter-Worldwide-shiping/dp/B008LRJBY0/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1345581077&sr=8-37&keywords=hdmi+micro+female

I think there is a less expensive HDMI male to micro HDMI female adapter available on eBay, but (just a personal preference) if there is a a choice I generally use Amazon.com.
by Deicist » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:50 pm
Thanks Nigel, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I'll chime in on the 'I'd be willing to pay £20 or so for all this stuff in one package' thing as well, I'm looking to order this lot around the start of the month, if anyone has such a kit available by then I'd definitely go for one to save me the hassle of ordering from different places and waiting for delivery.
by Nigel Day » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:38 pm
kyelo wrote:Nigel Day said:
By the way, where can I get a short - one to two foot, say - HDMI cable?

I have this one (8 inches) on order, so I can't give a 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory' verdict yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Hdmi-Port-Saver-Cable/dp/B000Q6WEFW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345907965&sr=1-1&keywords=8+inch+hdmi+port+saver
The down side is that the complementary adapter is fairly expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Female-Converter-Worldwide-shiping/dp/B008LRJBY0/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1345581077&sr=8-37&keywords=hdmi+micro+female
That adaptor looks rather bulky - I wonder if it will get in the way of something connecting to the micro-USB plug?

(Looking further on Amazon.co.uk, I've found half-metre HDMI cables for about £1.50 - also, for those who don't already have a micro HDMI adaptor, I found a micro-HDMI male to HDMI male lead for £5 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004M5NR3Q. Shorter leads than this seem to be more expensive!)
by ComputerXplorer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 am
This all sounds so complicated! Image

If you like I made a post on how to make a pc/laptop http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15692

ComputerXplorer Image
by tekmanro » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:07 am
Just wanted to let you know that the Atrix is on sale again for $50 shipped at 1saleaday.com (flash daily deal). I'm not affiliated with that site, but that's where I got my Atrix and it seems to be an awfully good price for it; it arrived new in sealed box, in about 2 weeks. :geek:
by edd247 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:20 pm
just ordered a lapdock and had a quick question.
is it neccessary to power the RasPi using the lapdock micro usb, with the "Y" cable?
or can i use one of the usb ports from the lapdock hub?
i would like for the RasPi to power off when the screen is closed, so would that work in this case?
by Lob0426 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:55 pm
edd247 wrote:just ordered a lapdock and had a quick question.
is it neccessary to power the RasPi using the lapdock micro usb, with the "Y" cable?
i would like for the RasPi to power off when the screen is closed, so would that work in this case?

For the Lapdock to work you must connect to the micro B USB female connector. You must also connect to the Micr HDMI connector. No power goes to the hub until you connecto to both.

by edd247 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 pm
Lob0426 wrote:

For the Lapdock to work you must connect to the micro B USB female connector. You must also connect to the Micr HDMI connector. No power goes to the hub until you connecto to both.

I was planning on connecting the lapdock micro B USB female connector directly to the RasPi full size usb, along with the micro HDMI directly to the RasPi HDMI (with adapters of course). If I do this, can I then use the hub to get power? Also, is it neccessary to cut the red 5v wire going from the lapdock micro usb to the Raspi usb port?
thanks
by King » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:37 pm
edd247 wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:

I was planning on connecting the lapdock micro B USB female connector directly to the RasPi full size usb, along with the micro HDMI directly to the RasPi HDMI (with adapters of course). If I do this, can I then use the hub to get power? Also, is it neccessary to cut the red 5v wire going from the lapdock micro usb to the Raspi usb port?
thanks

I just tried this out and it works, using a cable with the 5v cut. I can't speak for Lob0426's lapdock but my screen, speakers and rear USB ports (power) work fine without anything connected to the micro USB connector.
by edd247 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 pm
King wrote:I just tried this out and it works, using a cable with the 5v cut. I can't speak for Lob0426's lapdock but my screen, speakers and rear USB ports (power) work fine without anything connected to the micro USB connector.

Cool, thanks for the info. Just wondering, why does the 5v cable need to be cut?
by Vindicator » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 am
You can back power the Raspi that way, I had miscellaneous problem with this approach when using the on-board Ethernet but it seems to work with a WiFi adapter being powered off the lapdock itself.

When using the Ethernet with it back powered through the Raspi, I would get keyboard repeats and system resets for no reason so I power mine with the microusb and send only data through the standard USB.

I you have one of the newer boards that have 0 ohm resistors instead of poly fuses this may solve the conditions I was experiencing.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.
by Lob0426 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:38 am
edd247 wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:

thanks

If you have the new Raspi with 0ohm resistors, instead of polfuses, it will probably work. If you have the 140ma polyfuses it will reset time after time. I have been working on Backpowering a RasPi through its USB. Having some success at it also.

You will not need the hub for power if it does not start resetting on you. If it runs with a single cable from the Micro connector on the Lapdock to the USB A port on the RasPi, you will not need to build an adapter cable at all. It all depends on whether you you have fuses or resistors!

by Lob0426 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 am
Vindicator wrote:You can back power the Raspi that way, I had miscellaneous problem with this approach when using the on-board Ethernet but it seems to work with a WiFi adapter being powered off the lapdock itself.

When using the Ethernet with it back powered through the Raspi, I would get keyboard repeats and system resets for no reason so I power mine with the microusb and send only data through the standard USB.

I you have one of the newer boards that have 0 ohm resistors instead of poly fuses this may solve the conditions I was experiencing.

Thats because you are a "LOSER" Vindicator. Your brother Lob0426 has it under control! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by Vindicator » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:48 am
Just remember who built your first cable when you were fooling around in Oregon. and played with your lapdock first LOL..
Last edited by Vindicator on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.
by Lob0426 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:52 am
@King: Mine would not turn on the USB ports without a connection to the Micro USB. Guess mine is developmentally disabled. (retarded)
If you cut the red wire then where are you getting your power from?
what @edd247; wants to know is if he can use a single cable, with appropriate adapters to power and connect to the Lapdock, instead of building an adapter cable. If he has 0ohm resistor he probably can!

The Micro connector is the best place to connect the RasPi to the Lapdock. This leaves you with TWO USB ports rather than just one. The Micro Connector also can turn out more than 500ma. So then you can also use the other USB on the RasPi without problem. Now you have three USB ports to use. To use one of the USB hub ports, to power the RasPi, will leave you with one, possibly two USB ports not three. The micro USB is an upstream port. after modifying my USB fuses I was able to power a WiFi adapter from the RasPi USB. I now use that USB as my hot plug port for memory sticks.

Edit: I'll be d@#$ed The USB ports do power without the micro USB connected. I guess I wasn't paying attention! :lol:

by Jim Manley » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:07 am
Here's another data point for everyone. I was up until my normal 2 ~ 3 AM working on Pi-Finity! and other things on the Pi and I passed out from exhaustion, as usual. I awoke to the all-too-early dawn fuzziness of a foggy Monterey morning light from yonder window broke, only to see the lapdock screen blacked out. This meant that I had forgotten to plug in the AC adapter to keep the lapdock powered up since sometime the previous evening. It also meant that when I did plug in the lapdock AC adapter, the display would be showing the Pi boot sequence and whatever I had been working on when I conked out would have been lost since the last save.

Wrong! When I plugged in the AC adapter and rotated the lapdock display forward to plug the cable into the back of the lapdock, I noticed that the power LED on the Pi was glowing brightly. When I plugged the power cable into the lapdock, lo and behold, the display came on ... and I was greeted with the prompt still in the directory I was working in sometime after 2 AM! The Pi had remained powered up on the lapdock battery for at least 6 ~ 7 hours, possibly as many as 11 hours, but, the lapdock display had powered down, which is a much higher-power draw than the Pi, alone. Holy moly, Batman - we have standby mode ... sort of! I was only in the command prompt, not X, I wasn't running anything on the GPU, and didn't have any other USB devices or the network hooked up, so only background Raspbian processes were running.

I'll set it up from a full charge and have a timer program writing to a bunch of files round-robin every second and pull the power cable out of the lapdock so that I can tell precisely how long the Pi can stay powered up after the display goes off, in case I'm asleep when it finally runs out of power (I'll write to multiple files in case the last one written to gets corrupted when the power goes out).

I really need to get more of these babies for easy transportation and setup at our Jams and other events without having to drag around keyboards, displays, mice/trackpads, a powered USB hub, etc., not to mention all of that fantastic built-in battery power!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by itimpi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 am
Blanking the screen on inactivity seems to be standard even when not using the Lapdock. As you mention, blanking the screen is likely to significantly extend how long the Lapdock can power the Pi.
by adafruit » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:47 pm
ok! we made a tutorial to help folks out, enjoy!

http://youtu.be/yZkz_a52I6s
by kongorilla » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:25 pm
Well, adafruit is a day late for me. I was up late soldering a cable and doing updates (to get wifi to work while using the dock) and now we have a nice pi-top at our house. Thanks to everybody in this thread, I wouldn't have been able to get it all sorted without you.

Has anyone figured out how to adjust audio via the keyboard? Failing that, how do I adjust audio levels via the pi? I'd rather not resort to taping over the speaker grills. ;) I thought I had read that someone found keys that worked (not the speaker keys), but scanning this thread again hasn't refreshed my memory (but it has made me doubt my memory).

Thanks again!