Virtual Keyboard?

5 posts
by Shane Hudson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:09 pm
Obviously we want R-Pi to be able to be portable and small for projects that do not just mimic desktops. So we could link up a small LED/LCD screen (or touch screen) for display. But how about input?

I was thinking of a virtual keyboard, I have never used one but they are commerical now. Would it be easy to implement as an attachment? Do they have linux support?

Could be interesting for projects!

Thanks,
Shane
by RobinJ » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:21 pm
You mean an on-screen keyboard? Plenty of them around...
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.
by Shane Hudson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:58 pm
No I mean a virtual infrared keyboard... it kind of projects a keyboard onto any surface.
by Svartalf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:01 pm
Quote from Shane Hudson on September 1, 2011, 16:09
I was thinking of a virtual keyboard, I have never used one but they are commerical now. Would it be easy to implement as an attachment? Do they have linux support?

Most of the virtual keyboard designs are bluetooth devices. Shouldn't be a problem once you add in a BT dongle on a USB Hub or in one of the two ports on the B model.
by reggie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:14 pm
If you add a touchscreen LCD then it is an input device, it just needs to be programmed, as has been mentioned, lots of on screen keyboard apps about and they're not particularly difficult to write your own.

The virtual keyboards could be great for projects. Or how about repurposing a webcam? Just draw a keyboard on a piece of paper and tap away, or have a template version that can just be printed on A4.