Have Pi so Game Boy PC Time - (picture heavy post)

39 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by Retroman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:41 pm
Yeah, I'll grab one and test it.
by mahjongg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:48 pm
Retroman asked:

How many buttons could you hook up to the GPIO?

There are 8 GPIO pins, so If you want simply one button connected to one input, you could therefore without extra hardware sense only eight buttons or switches.

But if you use a keyboard matrix it could be one with 4 colums (inputs) and four rows (outputs), for 4x4 = 16 buttons, but that is without any extra hardware.

You could use (for example ) a simple binary to 1 out on n encoder, (for example an 74HC4051) say to encode 3 inputs to eight outputs, and then you could create an 8 x 5 matrix for 40 buttons.

The drawback is that you need to "scan", (using a software scan routine)  the matrix to detect a button-push, also without some extra hardware (at least diodes) it not possible to detect two buttons pressed at the same time.

But the GPIO connector also has I2C, and with I2C you can add "IO expanders" IC's. The most common ones add 16 new GPIO's , and you can easily add up-to eight of them to a single I2C port, its possible to connect a signal (IRQ) from the chip(s) to a GPIO signal so you get a warning when anyone of the buttons is pressed
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Retroman » Mon May 21, 2012 2:34 pm
The above older pictures look a bit weird since the new forum. Hope these new ones look a bit better.

So I eventually got around to starting the physical part of this mod. It's a bit rough at the moment but it is a work in progress and I have a clear plan now as to what I need to do. The plan now is to try and get extenders for the remaining connections and feed them up to the top of the case and have them all there, leaving the sides free for other things that I might like to have(extend the GPIO pins to a side port maybe). The USB and Network port are coming out the bottom of the case as you can see in the pics.
I still have room inside to install the mini USB hub I have as well as the wifi dongle and mini usb storage drive.
This should still leave room for a small 2-3" screen when drivers are available for the DSI connection, or perhaps a small screen that uses the RCA/Composite video out signal. I might be able to squeeze in the official Rasp Pi camera module as well when it's released.

I've removed the battery compartment in the Game Boy as that will allow much more room for the Pi and the other bits and pieces I need to install.

Project Page:
http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/8 ... spberry-Pi)

by AndrewS » Wed May 23, 2012 1:27 am
Retroman wrote:This should still leave room for a small 2-3" screen when drivers are available for the DSI connection, or perhaps a small screen that uses the RCA/Composite video out signal.

This would be the ultimate retro hack http://hackaday.com/2010/11/10/diving-d ... -protocol/ :twisted: Don't think it'd display 1080P though ;)
by Retroman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:40 pm
Slight update on this mod. I've not had much time to put into it as of late unfortunately.

I managed to get all the electronics (except the screen as I've not cut a hole for it yet as It's not the final screen I'll be using) more or less inside the Game Boy. It's a bit of an ugly setup at the moment with the case held closed with a cable tie and the internals held in place with white tac but it's still not finalised so no point in doing anything permanent just yet.

Pixel shot:

Boot up vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbJy9bMNbw

Still lots to do but getting there, bit by bit :)

by buckett » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 am
Looks good! I especially like the screen.

Have you had much success with your USB wireless card, drivers easy to find etc?
by Retroman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:07 am
buckett wrote:Looks good! I especially like the screen.

Have you had much success with your USB wireless card, drivers easy to find etc?

I compiled my own driver for it. It's a bit rough at the moment but has basic functionality.

by Retroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 pm
Did some modding and other work on the RasPiBoy this evening and I must say I'm very happy with how its coming along.

Full res pics(large):
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/594/dsc1719r.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9315/dsc1723t.jpg

Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-n1S4gSzw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFe2ZKGniq4

by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:26 pm
Looking good, though! Like I said before - when you're absolutely done, drop me an email (just in case I'm having one of my forum-lite weeks - it happens sometimes when I'm at conferences, and we have a lot of those coming up).
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by Retroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 pm
liz wrote:Looking good, though! Like I said before - when you're absolutely done, drop me an email (just in case I'm having one of my forum-lite weeks - it happens sometimes when I'm at conferences, and we have a lot of those coming up).

Thanks Liz, I'll drop you a mail when I've finished it.
Which might be a while before I think its fit for proper public inspection. Have to have the hardware and software working together etc etc.

by AndrewS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am
Retroman wrote:Image

And people complain about the low resolution of their CRT TVs... ;)

Edit: That's not meant as a dig BTW, I think what you're creating here is really neat.
Last edited by AndrewS on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
by JeremyF » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:35 am
I'll just say it clearly. This is beautiful.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by toxibunny » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:39 am
mahjongg wrote:Retroman asked:

There are 8 GPIO pins, so If you want simply one button connected to one input, you could therefore without extra hardware sense only eight buttons or switches.

Perfect. Post youtube vid of gameboy emulator with all buttons hooked up next please!
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by Retroman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:33 am
toxibunny wrote:
mahjongg wrote:Retroman asked:

Perfect. Post youtube vid of gameboy emulator with all buttons hooked up next please!

I'm focusing on the hardware and case modding side of things at the moment so I wont be sticking up any videos of emulators just yet.