Pictorial Buying Guide for B+ (and A and B)

110 posts   Page 2 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by grumpyoldgit » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 pm
I know that this is blindingly obvious but it does seem to me that the user needs to be told to check what sockets he has on his monitor or TV. I have visions of punters going off and buying a particular cable, just because it is on the list. On the audio side my monitor does not have any built in speakers so if I need audio I will be using powered speakers. I have visions of people buying a phono cable or audio cable and then wondering where they go.

These things are obvious to us because setting up a PC takes us a couple of minutes. Many people have no real perception of what goes where. I know you will then say "Why did they buy the ***** thing in the first place?" but then I think many will have bought a Pi on a whim and have no real knowledge of computers other than that you have to press that big button to switch them on.
by abishur » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 pm
@grumpy - I agree, I'm trying to think of an easy way to maybe guide a user through stating what connections they have and then providing them with what cables they need.  Maybe some sort of interactive page?  That's probably outside my abilities, but something I was thinking about the last time I was editing the post....
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by grumpyoldgit » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm
I think what you have done is really good. Some simple descriptions with pictures is what the average new user is going to need. If only we could have something similar for the OSs. I do wonder what will be in the box with the Pi.
by abishur » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm
Went ahead and added a note that you only need at most 1 item from each numbered bullet point, added a picture to help identify your video connection type, added some verbiage to the audio selection to make sure you're getting what you really need.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lynbarn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:15 am
Great idea Abishur - we should all remember that we were complete noobs once (even if a v.e.r.y long tima ago!)

Would it help to include the isometric drawing of the Raspberry Pi, and show the sockets / cables against the actual ports they should be plugged into?
by Lynbarn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:18 am
Bad Wolf said:

Database Error

Error establishing a database connection

Just because we all have missed it so much !

LOL!!!
by abishur » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 am
Lynbarn said:

Great idea Abishur - we should all remember that we were complete noobs once (even if a v.e.r.y long tima ago!)

Would it help to include the isometric drawing of the Raspberry Pi, and show the sockets / cables against the actual ports they should be plugged into?

Not a bad idea, in the end a guide like this might get the most readability if it was a downloadable PDF?  Or maybe not the forum which automatically resizes the photos?  Hmm.... I might put it somewhere external to the site once all the kinks are worked out :-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by JeremyF » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 am
Paraphrased you a lot, but

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1F4TTYM24EghzLUc08LqKt3MPAW3VwlIgIA9PLQpWaN8/edit

A quick guide I made as a presentation (if was easiest), if you have a Google Account I'll share it with you so you can edit it if you desire to.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by JeremyF » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 am
In addition, I made a mapped image. (Click the text above each feature, it takes you to a blank page at the moment, but it works)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6646746/pi.html
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by mcb1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:52 am
Brilliant job ...well done both of you.

Mark
by Dinosaur » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am
Nice guide.

Only the recommendation of using a phones microUSB cable might lead to some problems as not all phone manufacturers microUSB plug/sockets are equal, they should be but they are not. For example with the cables supplied with the following, samsung tab, HTC desire and Kindle, the HTC cable will be loose in the kindle and very hard to plug into the samsung TAB and the samsung cable will not plug into a kindle. The problem appears to be the width and height of the plug/socket are inconsistent.

Unfortunately I have no suggestion as how you can determine a good fit without just plugging it in. This info is of course purely subjective learned from the lending and borrowing of various cables at work.
by riggsre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:38 pm
This finally cleared up the confusion I had between mini and micro USB for the power.

Thanks.
by abishur » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 pm
Dinosaur said:

Nice guide.

Only the recommendation of using a phones microUSB cable might lead to some problems as not all phone manufacturers microUSB plug/sockets are equal, they should be but they are not.

Hmm... true, very true.  At some point I have to leave it up to the person reading the guide to work it out or else I'll have a novel on my hands :-P   In this case, I'm going to hope that the picture will be enough to sort them out.  When you mentioned the HTC plug, that reminded me of my own issues with my HTC Hero phone.  It's a miniUSB (mostly) plug but shaped weirdly.  Fortunately, I can use regular miniUSB cables in it!  Still if someone needs the picture, hopefully they'll go "oh it's tiny but the shape is wrong" and go get a cable of their own. :|

@riggsre glad it helped! :-D
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jongoleur » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 pm
nmcc said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

I've been lurking here long enough to know that even if you tell people it won't run Windows they will take that as an indication that it will.

I've been lurking here long enough that after you tell them it won't run Windows they'll come back and say that Windows 8 will run on ARM ...

They just grep for "windows" and jump to conclusions.

Oh. Wait.....

:-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by mahjongg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 am
Two comments:

1) Linux isn't the only OS that can (potentially) run on it. RiscOS also has been demonstrated to run on the Raspberry PI, although its not ready for release.

2) beware of USB chargers, they might actually put out a higher voltage than 5V +10%, especially cheap Chinese chargers might. The user should check the voltage output mentioned on the device. Not sure how much damage (for example) 5.6Volt would cause on the Raspberry PI, as most of the supplies (3V3 and lower) are only derived from it using low drop regulators that can withstand higher voltages than 5V. But better safe than sorry.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by abishur » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:43 pm
mahjongg said:

Two comments:

1) Linux isn't the only OS that can (potentially) run on it. RiscOS also has been demonstrated to run on the Raspberry PI, although its not ready for release.

So since RiscOS isn't ready for release on the R-pi... that would mean Linux is the only option right now, right :-P ?  Even still the point of the guide is to help people who are more towards the novice end of the experience pool and I don't want to overload them. :-)

2) beware of USB chargers, they might actually put out a higher voltage than 5V +10%, especially cheap Chinese chargers might. The user should check the voltage output mentioned on the device. Not sure how much damage (for example) 5.6Volt would cause on the Raspberry PI, as most of the supplies (3V3 and lower) are only derived from it using low drop regulators that can withstand higher voltages than 5V. But better safe than sorry.

There has certainly been a lot of discussion on this very subject through the forums and while I don't disagree, I worry that such talk would paralyze the main target of this guide, especially when most of them would lack the ability to even test their adapter.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by cpslashm » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:03 pm
Teensy quibble:

My old telly only has one socket - UHF aerial. So it must be the yellow RCA cable which I  push in REALLY HARD...

:-P
by JeremyF » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:47 pm
CP/M said:

Teensy quibble:

My old telly only has one socket - UHF aerial. So it must be the yellow RCA cable which I  push in REALLY HARD...

:-P

I'm sure you know, but for anyone reading this...if you have a super-old / super-basic TV you can plug a VCR with additional composite inputs into the coaxial/antenna connector and then plug the RPi into one of the VCR's inputs. just to make sure no one gets confused

Not sure if my clarification was necessary, but I feel helpful.
by Montala » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:40 pm
Hi,

I meant to mention this earlier, but I am just a little concerned that the pictures showing an AC adapter and a PSU might possibly confuse UK 'readers' as of course our 'mains sockets' here are virtually all 3 pin, and some might think that they need a 'special' or different one for the Raspberry Pi, which is not of course the case.
by abishur » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 pm
Fair enough, I'll add a note clarifying that I'm displaying a US adapter and to be sure to buy one that will fit the sockets in their country.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Michael » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 am
Hi Abishur,

Excellent guide and friendlier than both the buying guide and "Typical_Hardware_You_Will Need" pages on the wiki.  But now that it is written, couldn't it be added to the wiki either as a seperate page or as a rewrite of the page to which I linked?
by nowonder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 am
Great guide!

How about adding something about optionally getting a Wireless USB adapter?

Hoping-the-Edimax-EW-7811UN-will-run'ly yours

Peter
by abishur » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:30 pm
Michael said:

Hi Abishur,

Excellent guide and friendlier than both the buying guide and "Typical_Hardware_You_Will Need" pages on the wiki.  But now that it is written, couldn't it be added to the wiki either as a seperate page or as a rewrite of the page to which I linked?

I have to confess... I have no wiki experience :-P but I don't mind if someone with wiki experience and time takes my post and puts it up as a new page (I think the page that you linked is good for most people, just a link at the top to the pictorial guide should be sufficient)

nowonder said:

Great guide!

How about adding something about optionally getting a Wireless USB adapter?

Hoping-the-Edimax-EW-7811UN-will-run'ly yours

Peter

I did make a passing reference that you could optionally purchase a usb wifi adapter, at this point in time though, the info on what will/will not work is rather sketchy so it's best just to go to the wiki and read-up on things rather than try to delve into that in this guide :-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by dipstick » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:32 am
I just would like to state that you could use Google Picasa web gallery thing or Flickr for the images and text if you wish. Then one could just scroll through or play a slide show of the different devices and cables.

Another thing, DVI can carry audio. If both connected devices support it, audio can be transmitted. I have a working example of it, my video card as two dvi and one micro hdmi ports on it, the desktop monitor and tv have hdmi ports on them, both are connected with dvi to hdmi cables and I have successfully played audio though them. Works well I might add. :) Older cards, prior to the nvidia gtx series, may or may not even support it but I'm sure all gtx200 and up do with no additional cabling. Idk about ati. ;) Mine's a gtx550 ti.
by JeremyF » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:39 am
dipstick said:

I just would like to state that you could use Google Picasa web gallery thing or Flickr for the images and text if you wish. Then one could just scroll through or play a slide show of the different devices and cables.

Another thing, DVI can carry audio. If both connected devices support it, audio can be transmitted. I have a working example of it, my video card as two dvi and one micro hdmi ports on it, the desktop monitor and tv have hdmi ports on them, both are connected with dvi to hdmi cables and I have successfully played audio though them. Works well I might add. :) Older cards, prior to the nvidia gtx series, may or may not even support it but I'm sure all gtx200 and up do with no additional cabling. Idk about ati. ;) Mine's a gtx550 ti.

Regarding the Google Picasa, I did make a slideshow a few pages back.