What is the ideal Raspberry Pi CPU temperature range?


42 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by sim_tcr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 am
Hello,

I live in Bangalore, India. Where the current temperature is 33c. And my Pi runs at 60c. (it runs 24/7). Temperature may vary 1 or 2 degree above/below 60c occasionally. Is this a safe temperature to operate? Sometimes after 6 or 7 days pi automatically reboots. I don't know if its because of the high CPU temperature. (if 60c is really high).

Are there any ideal CPU working temperature range documented somewhere?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Nokia Travel Charger ACP-12E 5.7V 800mA, Netgear WNA1000M Wifi Dongle/Ethernet
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Bangalore
by forumisto » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 am
The temperature of my pi is around 41 to 43 degress. It is not in a case. I plan to put it in closed case and use a cooler, and, and mayby, several heatsinks.
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:41 am
by RaTTuS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 am
less than 80 is fine
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
User avatar
Posts: 4600
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
by pjc123 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 pm
I can't speak for running my Rev 2 pis in such high ambient temperature conditions (33 degrees C), but at room temperature (22 degrees C) I am seeing pi temperatures in the 40-ish degree C range. If I add the cover to the one pi which is in a plastic case (even though it has several openings in the case cover), the temperature quickly goes up to 50 degrees C. My other pi is in a sealed chassis with other heat generating components, so I have added a small fan to the chassis; It will also be used outdoors in higher ambient temperatures.
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
by Komak57 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm
In a room averaging 80f (27c) my pi would typically run around 110f (40-45c). I received a few crashes which were actually due to a low-amp power sources, but I felt it unsafe to get so hot. What did I do? Well, first I looked around my obsolete circuits for old video cards and such for fast, and small fans. My spare parts Dreamcast gave me an 8000rpm fan that had a frame great for directing air flow over the CPU. This alone settled my pi at <100f(37c) even being run long term. This was great, but I wanted even safer cooling. On another board, designed for adding extra HDD's to a server, I found 2 small heat sinks. One was a fraction too big, and one was almost perfect. Added some thermal paste, and bam. Now my CPU sits at 93f (33c) all times of day in all temperatures. As soon as I make a custom case to incorporate the fan better, I will start overclocking and see how well it holds up.

The "allowed" temperatures range to about 80c before any damage becomes apparent. The "safe" temperatures cap out around 60c, and the "preferred" range caps around 40c. If I recall, you can get the temperature down to around 0c with proper insulation. Just depends on what you do with your pi. A fan and a heat sync on the CPU is all most need to keep their pi's safe for years to come.
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:36 am
by jamesh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 am
Komak57 wrote:In a room averaging 80f (27c) my pi would typically run around 110f (40-45c). I received a few crashes which were actually due to a low-amp power sources, but I felt it unsafe to get so hot. What did I do? Well, first I looked around my obsolete circuits for old video cards and such for fast, and small fans. My spare parts Dreamcast gave me an 8000rpm fan that had a frame great for directing air flow over the CPU. This alone settled my pi at <100f(37c) even being run long term. This was great, but I wanted even safer cooling. On another board, designed for adding extra HDD's to a server, I found 2 small heat sinks. One was a fraction too big, and one was almost perfect. Added some thermal paste, and bam. Now my CPU sits at 93f (33c) all times of day in all temperatures. As soon as I make a custom case to incorporate the fan better, I will start overclocking and see how well it holds up.

The "allowed" temperatures range to about 80c before any damage becomes apparent. The "safe" temperatures cap out around 60c, and the "preferred" range caps around 40c. If I recall, you can get the temperature down to around 0c with proper insulation. Just depends on what you do with your pi. A fan and a heat sync on the CPU is all most need to keep their pi's safe for years to come.


45c isn't particularly hot...should be good for considerably more than that. Remember these devices are designed to sit inside mobile devices with no airflow.
Soon to be unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11509
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by eried » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 am
At 19ºC mine runs about 40ºC, so maybe 60ºC is a nice temp for 30ºC:

Image
My website: www.ried.cl
User avatar
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:11 am
Location: Chile
by leopheard » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:12 pm
My RPI was just at 48 degrees celsius in a cupboard.

Turned it on its side (greater surface area exposed) and turned on a very low powered pathetic USB fan (run off RPi) pointed at it. In under 5m, it's now at 39 C.
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm
by jamesh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 am
I believe the temperature at which it starts to throttle itself is 85degC. No-one here has even got close to that. Hence there seems little or no need for active (or even passive) cooling systems except in very extreme environments (metal boxes in the desert come to mind)
Soon to be unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11509
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by geoffs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:34 am
Just thought I'd check the CPU temperature of my Raspberry PIi and it's sitting at 56°.
Mind you , the Raspberry PI is sitting in a sealed metal box (camera housing) on the wall of the shed and it's over 34° outside.
No problems so far.
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 4:12 am
by AndyD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:22 am
It's about 30°C in my house at the moment and my Raspberry Pi is running at 54.6°C
Posts: 893
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
by PiModules » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 am
Hi,
In a case you will finally need cooling (or like just to have it), we released a new product - the PiCoolFan. It is Pi Cooling FAN System with embedded RTC and Power monitoring in a very good price
A detailed description can be found at

http://www.pimodules.com/_pdf/PCFM_V1.05.pdf

Fit-in to most of the cases without any modification.

Available via listed distributors:

http://www.pimodules.com/index-2.html

It is PWM controlled speed with very low power consumption and extremely low noise.

You have in addition to the cooling FAN, an RTC and Real Time Powering Monitor, everything controlled via I2C

PiCoolFAN_3.jpg
PiCoolFAN_3.jpg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 5326 times

PiCoolFan_2.jpg
PiCoolFan_2.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 5326 times

PiCoolFan_1.jpg
PiCoolFan_1.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 5326 times



Warmest Regards
Pi Master
User avatar
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:20 pm
Location: Athens -Greece
by GTR2Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 am
AndyD wrote:It's about 30°C in my house at the moment and my Raspberry Pi is running at 54.6°C

It's about 20°C in my house at the moment and my Raspberry Pi is running at 80.7°C when foundation-approved 'Turbo' overclocked and gaming. I think many people vastly underestimate how hot a Pi can get when you're pushing the GPU fairly hard. ;)
Raspberry Pi Model B 256MB (Rev1): ARM=1GHz @1.35v(+6), Core=500MHz, RAM=600MHz. Sandisk 1GB microSD boot card with custom-modded NOOBS multi-OS on external Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5TB HDD.
User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: South East UK
by jamesh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:32 am
GTR2Fan wrote:
AndyD wrote:It's about 30°C in my house at the moment and my Raspberry Pi is running at 54.6°C

It's about 20°C in my house at the moment and my Raspberry Pi is running at 80.7°C when foundation-approved 'Turbo' overclocked and gaming. I think many people vastly underestimate how hot a Pi can get when you're pushing the GPU fairly hard. ;)


That's bizarrely hot - even when running the GPU full tilt I only get to about 50.
Soon to be unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11509
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by hampi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am
GTR2Fan wrote:It's about 20°C in my house at the moment and my Raspberry Pi is running at 80.7°C when foundation-approved 'Turbo' overclocked and gaming.


Looking at the photos: You could remove that plastic box to let the air circulate more freely.
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 11:29 am
by GTR2Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 am
jamesh wrote:That's bizarrely hot - even when running the GPU full tilt I only get to about 50.

How are you stressing the GPU? Were you running a 'Turbo' overclock that doubles the Core frequency?

The Darkplaces Quake engine gets me up into the high 70s and low 80s every time I check it. Maybe you'd like to give it a try. It's only a 10 minute install. :)
Raspberry Pi Model B 256MB (Rev1): ARM=1GHz @1.35v(+6), Core=500MHz, RAM=600MHz. Sandisk 1GB microSD boot card with custom-modded NOOBS multi-OS on external Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5TB HDD.
User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: South East UK
by PiModules » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am
Looking at the photos: You could remove that plastic box to let the air circulate more freely.


Hi,
No, you do not need extra holes necessary. Holes at the top are enough to provide air circulation. Due to air distribution plate the whole PCB is cooling. We tested it in a various cases, and with 50% FAN speed (extremely low noise), we kept the temperature under 42 deg. With 75% FAN speed (still low noise), we ware able to keep the temperature below 40 deg. We are talking always with closed case (and only the original holes as you can see). OK with 100% FAN speed, the temperature is very low, but you have little bit noise. We are talking always with closed case, if you open it, with only 25% FAN speed, you will have cold RPi.

Please also notice that, you get an RTC and voltage monitor in the same device.

Warmest Regards
Pi Master
User avatar
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:20 pm
Location: Athens -Greece
by rmwebs » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm
PiModules wrote:Hi,
In a case you will finally need cooling (or like just to have it), we released a new product - the PiCoolFan.

That's a pretty damn expensive solution. £10.99 for what is essentially a very basic looking case, and a simple ~£1 fan is excessive.

This was also hardly the place to start pimping out your products was it?
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:30 pm
by septantrionalis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 pm
rmwebs wrote:
PiModules wrote:Hi,
In a case you will finally need cooling (or like just to have it), we released a new product - the PiCoolFan.

That's a pretty damn expensive solution. £10.99 for what is essentially a very basic looking case, and a simple ~£1 fan is excessive.

This was also hardly the place to start pimping out your products was it?


I don't think its that bad a price. Keep in mind that it has an RTC also.
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: Denver, CO
by PiModules » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:12 pm
rmwebs wrote:
PiModules wrote:Hi,
In a case you will finally need cooling (or like just to have it), we released a new product - the PiCoolFan.

That's a pretty damn expensive solution. £10.99 for what is essentially a very basic looking case, and a simple ~£1 fan is excessive.

This was also hardly the place to start pimping out your products was it?


This products contains:
1. Very low noise, Very Low Power, long life FAN with speed regulation
2. PWM FAN speed controller (25%, 50% 75%, 0% or 100% of speed),
3. Temperature controller,
4. Temperature sensor,
5. I2C interface where you can:
- read the actual RPi PCB temperature,
- Get/Set the temperatures thresholds when the FAN start/stop,
- Adjust the FAN speed,
- Unconditional FAN Start/Stop
- Read the FAN status (in order to use it for other applications)
- Real Time P1 5V Voltage Supply monitoring and possibility to read value from the I2C of the actual value of powering,
- micro adjustment of the RTC (in order to have the best possible accuracy of it)
- store parameters to the EEPROM or return to Factory Defaults
6.Visual indication if the powering voltage:
- if it is too high (Green LED blinking fast)
- or too low (Green LED blinking slow)
- or within thresholds (Green LED light contentiously)
7.Visual indication about the actual temperature:
- Red LED - hot (higher that threshold)
- Blue LED - cold (lower than threshold),
8. Plug and Play
9. RTC with battery back-up (not inlcuded
10. Air Distribution Plate that allow you to cool the whole RPi PCB (also if it is inside in the case)

Are you still believe that all that listed features make this product expensive ?

Have you tested the FAN and write that his quality is ~£1.

We just informing people that we offer a possibility to control the RPi temperature with all other features - all in one, if they have thermal problem.

My Warmest Regards
Pi Master
Last edited by PiModules on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:20 pm
Location: Athens -Greece
by GTR2Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 pm
I'm in no way affiliated with the makers of this cooling solution, but some users definitely need the additional cooling it provides if self-thermal-throttling isn't an acceptable option. I also agree that it's a very fair price for what it offers. If I had any spare cash at all right now, I'd happily put my money where my mouth is and carry out some independent before-and-after testing. :)
Raspberry Pi Model B 256MB (Rev1): ARM=1GHz @1.35v(+6), Core=500MHz, RAM=600MHz. Sandisk 1GB microSD boot card with custom-modded NOOBS multi-OS on external Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5TB HDD.
User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: South East UK
by PiModules » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:33 pm
GTR2Fan wrote:I'm in no way affiliated with the makers of this cooling solution, but some users definitely need the additional cooling it provides if self-thermal-throttling isn't an acceptable option. I also agree that it's a very fair price for what it offers. If I had any spare cash at all right now, I'd happily put my money where my mouth is and carry out some independent before-and-after testing. :)



Hi,

Be careful with the case you have on your avatar, the actual version of the PiCoolFan NOT fit to it. The next one will.

Warmest Regards
Pi Master
User avatar
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:20 pm
Location: Athens -Greece
by GTR2Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:40 pm
Thanks for the heads-up. :)
Raspberry Pi Model B 256MB (Rev1): ARM=1GHz @1.35v(+6), Core=500MHz, RAM=600MHz. Sandisk 1GB microSD boot card with custom-modded NOOBS multi-OS on external Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5TB HDD.
User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: South East UK
by jamesh » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:13 am
GTR2Fan wrote:
jamesh wrote:That's bizarrely hot - even when running the GPU full tilt I only get to about 50.

How are you stressing the GPU? Were you running a 'Turbo' overclock that doubles the Core frequency?

The Darkplaces Quake engine gets me up into the high 70s and low 80s every time I check it. Maybe you'd like to give it a try. It's only a 10 minute install. :)


Don' think it was turbo overclock, which may be where the difference lies. Just a standard medium overclock setting. Might try it at turbo for giggles.

Was running the teapot 3D demo, with texture mapping video (1080p30 IIRC) over the top - so running the 3D fast, and the H264 decoder. Was also running the ARM at between 70 and 100% CPU. Hit 45degC.
Soon to be unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11509
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by jamesh » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:52 am
OK, tried with turbo.

Got up to 64degC, running teapot, and a SSH session from PC doing a 'grep -R fred /.'

Bare Pi, no case. Previous tests were on a bare compute module.

Will install Quake and see if I can get it hotter.
Soon to be unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11509
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm