4 wire USB touch screen

18 posts
by dan3088 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm
Here goes I have a 9inch 4 wire USB touch screen that is overlayed on the small LCD screen i will be connecting my ras pi to ( when I get one). Here is the page with all the drivers for the touch screen will any of these be suitable?
http://www.touchkit.com/Drivers.htm
I intend to run my ras pi in my car as a media hub possibly running xbmc the touch screen feature would make this set up perfect. Is any of what I think possible?
by Jongoleur » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 pm
Ok.....

Looking at the drivers, there's versions for Windows 9x to 7, WinCe in various incarnations, x86 Linux, PowerPC Linux and OsX.

Unless you could get the source code and recompile it for the RaspPi ARM platform then the immediate answer is no.

I'll throw this open to the floor.......  :-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by ReCreate » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:30 pm
Oh joy! let's write our own driver!
by SN » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:33 pm
Not write. just recompile!
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by dan3088 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:40 pm
What are the chances touch kit would just give me the source code lol
I"m guessing that touch screen interface would be high up on peoples wish list for the system and the four wire touch membranes are pretty cheap so hopefully some one will work it out
by Kernel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:48 pm
dan3088 said:

What are the chances touch kit would just give me the source code lol
I"m guessing that touch screen interface would be high up on peoples wish list for the system and the four wire touch membranes are pretty cheap so hopefully some one will work it out

depends what their stance on open source is - if they haven't already done it they probably won't unless they suddenly think they are going to sell a load to pi users by doing this - they would be more likely to compile the correct drivers though if there is enough demand

--

actually looking at http://www.touchkit.com/proi/d.....20Note.pdf

it seems to have source code and mentions things like 'make install' so I think it is possible and the ubuntu tar file has things like MAKEFILE

Installation Note
1. Please extract the driver source code firstly. Unzip “debian.tar.gz” to a
temp working folder.
2. Enter terminal mode and change to root account by this command. ( su )
3. Rebuild the TouchKit driver.
3.1) Locate the extracted directory. And go to the subdirectory
/touchkit/include then type make new
3.2) change the directory to /touchkit then type make all
The touchKit driver will be rebuild. ( Some packages must be
installed and well configured ).
3.3) type make install to begin to install at the same directory /touchkit
4. Edit the daemon configuration file “/etc/tpaneld.conf” if there is no device
port you want. The configuration should contain some parameters
description as below
MouseMode = DRAWING
DblClickSpeed = 18
DblClickArea = 30
RclickTool = 0
Sound = 0
Port = /dev/ttyS0
Port = /dev/ttyS1
Port = /dev/psaux
Port = /dev/tkpanel0
Port = /dev/tkpanel1
The daemon tpaneld will scan the ports list in the configuration file to
check if touchscreen controller exists or not.
/dev/tkpanel0 and /dev/tkpanel1 are used for USB model.

by dan3088 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:01 pm
So it"s looking more and more possible :-)
by Jim Manley » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 am
A recompile is probably not going to be sufficient.  Hardware drivers usually need to take into account specific features of both the host CPU and peripheral hardware.  The source code provided will take care of the peripheral details, however, since the ARM architecture is quite different from that for x86, there is likely some low-level code that will need to be modified/extended to take into account ARM features.  It won't be a large amount of work, but, it will require some very careful work by someone who knows both the x86 and ARM architectures pretty well.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by madmanali » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:31 pm
Erm I have been wondering about this...
But how are they selling this then?

Raspberry Pi Compatible 10.1" HDMI touch screen monitor
http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/shop/monitors/hdmi-monitors/raspberry-pi-compatible-10-1-hdmi-touch-screen-monitor
by piglet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 pm
well, it's got an hdmi input...
by JeremyF » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 pm
piglet wrote:well, it's got an hdmi input...

And the touchscreen goes in over USB.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by madmanali » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:15 pm
Yea sounds right, but the beginning of this old post states that this would be really hard to do and need recompling etc.. but they are now selling this for the Raspberry Pi...

So is their drivers out there now for USB 4wire resistive touch screens?
by M_Worth » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 am
Well under software it says: None
So I'm guessing it's a plug and play sort of thing.
by mahjongg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:25 am
Are you sure that when they say "software:none", it doesn't mean no software is available? :twisted:
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by M_Worth » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:11 am
mahjongg wrote:Are you sure that when they say "software:none", it doesn't mean no software is available? :twisted:

Well usually this just means they don't supply the software to go with the device, or that there is no software required. I'd be very surprised if they released this monitor "Designed" for the RPi when it couldn't be used with it.
by Jim Manley » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 am
Got a 404 error on the link above, but, it appears to now be listed under:

http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/index.php? ... en-monitor

The 180 Pounds price is ridiculous (albeit inclusive of VAT), as it has a resistive touchscreen, which most people less bulky than The Hulk are not going to like at all.

I wouldn't assume anything about it being Plug-'n-Play with the Pi, even if no software comes with it (and maybe especially since there is no software). Touchscreens are notoriously fickle when it comes to compatibility. It says nothing about multi-touch, and I don't recall having ever seen a multi-touch resistive touchscreen - that may only be possible on capacitive touchscreens.

So, who's going to make the 180 Pound leap to find out if it's Pi USB compatible? Bueller? Bueller?? :roll:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by MyGodAL3X » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:36 pm
So has anybody actually tried that screen?
by cslowik » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:47 pm
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9686

i have the 7" screen they make. trying to figure out if i can get this to work as well. if anyone is experienced with this kind of stuff and would like to tinker, i'd be happy to send you the driver files and be your test monkey =]

by the way, it is not plug-n-play, at least not with the latest openelec distro for raspi