Model A's

48 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by liz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:59 pm
Pete made a very small batch (<20, I think), but there have been some USB issues with them (the drive strength is wrong - someone seems to have made a mistake somewhere), so they're being debugged at the moment. They're not for sale; they're development boards in the very strictest sense!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by dom » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 am
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by nick.mccloud » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:18 am
That space in the bottom right corner, could we solder a VGA connector on ;-)
by rurwin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:24 am
It's got TWO USB Ports! ;-)

(No wonder the drive strength is wrong. ;-) )

(( Yes, I know; one of them isn't connected. ))
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Chris.Rowland » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 am
nmcc said:

That's for the mounting holes :-)
by tufty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:43 am
Chris Rowland said:

nmcc said:

That's for the mounting holes :-)

I think you pissmelt "extra 2GB of RAM"
by Thunderbird5 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 am
Nice to see the FAQ has been updated with the model B going to 512M.

But no start date for the model A : which Christmas is it supposed to be shipping for?
by jamesh » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 am
Thunderbird5 wrote:Nice to see the FAQ has been updated with the model B going to 512M.

But no start date for the model A : which Christmas is it supposed to be shipping for?

Xmas 2012 - you know - the next one...
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by rew » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 pm
Seeing this thread in the "recent topcis" list, I went ahead and started reading. "Definitively March". Sounded like a realistic prediction. But it took me a while to notice that this was written february 2012..... Wooops.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: http://www.bitwizard.nl/catalog/
by abishur » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm
rew wrote:Seeing this thread in the "recent topcis" list, I went ahead and started reading. "Definitively March". Sounded like a realistic prediction. But it took me a while to notice that this was written february 2012..... Wooops.

ha ha, yeah the demand for the model B has been so insane (which according the most recent front page post is now somewhere in range of almost half a mill for each distributor) that getting the model A rolled out has taken quite a bit of time; especially since at the moment hobbyists are dominating the R-pi market and the majority of them have been wanting the Model B. ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by malakai » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:05 pm
liz wrote:Pete made a very small batch (<20, I think), but there have been some USB issues with them (the drive strength is wrong - someone seems to have made a mistake somewhere), so they're being debugged at the moment. They're not for sale; they're development boards in the very strictest sense!

Any chance someday they could go up for sale. Would be great if you donated one to TheMagPi to give away for funding.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by Lob0426 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 pm
jamesh wrote:
Thunderbird5 wrote:Nice to see the FAQ has been updated with the model B going to 512M.

Xmas 2012 - you know - the next one...

After xmas 2012 but before xmas 2013, early 2013 according to @liz!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by pygmy_giant » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 pm
I'm just pleased it exists.

I questioned this in a previous post which casued jamesh to swear and then moderate his own post.

I take that as proof that a lot of people have put a lot of effort into it.

I have reversed my position on whether there is any point in a cheaper cut down version of an already cheap and minimal computer.

It could be good in dedicated headless projects as it is cheaper and has lower power consumption.
by Gert van Loo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 pm
Pete made a very small batch (<20, I think), but there have been some USB issues with them (the drive strength is wrong - someone seems to have made a mistake somewhere), so they're being debugged at the moment. They're not for sale; they're development boards in the very strictest sense!

That problem has been solved quite some time ago and was a funny story.
On model A we found that the USB would not work on some devices, especially keyboards and mice.
Turned out to be very simple: The low speed USB drivers where not enabled!
We never noticed as the LAN chip would convert all low speed data into high speed.
by pygmy_giant » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 am
That's good news.

Sometimes I forget to switch my slow cooker on and come home to no dinner - but thats not really comparable or relevant.

Are Santa's Welsh and Chinese elves busy in their workshops or is the model A set to be the hottest must-have of 2013?
by abishur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:54 am
pygmy_giant wrote:I have reversed my position on whether there is any point in a cheaper cut down version of an already cheap and minimal computer.

It should probably be noted that a lot of people have this backwards, the Model A isn't a cheaper cut down version of the Model B. The Model A is the original base line model and the Model B is the deluxe supped-up version!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lob0426 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:28 am
pygmy_giant wrote:I'm just pleased it exists.

I questioned this in a previous post which casued jamesh to swear and then moderate his own post.

I take that as proof that a lot of people have put a lot of effort into it.

I have reversed my position on whether there is any point in a cheaper cut down version of an already cheap and minimal computer.

It could be good in dedicated headless projects as it is cheaper and has lower power consumption.

That was the thread, where I was joking that the A Model would be held up by the backlog caused by the 512MB being released. Funny how the real world does that, isn't it!

The A model should be very good for the robotics crowd. Lower power consumption, and most of them need wireless not Ethernet.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by Vindicator » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:42 am
What a necro'ed thread LOL somebody dug hard to eek this one out.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.
by jojopi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:40 am
abishur wrote:It should probably be noted that a lot of people have this backwards, the Model A isn't a cheaper cut down version of the Model B. The Model A is the original base line model and the Model B is the deluxe supped-up version!
I confess to being firmly in the backwards camp here. Perhaps I have been misled by the BBC Micro analogy, the configuration of the alpha boards, or the fact that the Model A is only really being recommended for niche markets.

But mostly I am confused how this big lemon or small grapefruit distinction makes any difference.
by abishur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:20 pm
jojopi wrote:
abishur wrote:It should probably be noted that a lot of people have this backwards, the Model A isn't a cheaper cut down version of the Model B. The Model A is the original base line model and the Model B is the deluxe supped-up version!

[snip]

But mostly I am confused how this big lemon or small grapefruit distinction makes any difference.

In the grand scheme of things It doesn't, it's just to answer the misconception that the Model A is a stripped down version of the Model B ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jongoleur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:34 pm
liz wrote:(20 Feb 2012 23:02)
And you'll definitely be able to buy Model As in March.

I must congratulate Liz for her prescience so long ago...... ;)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by liz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 pm
Gawd, that's embarrassing. We *fully* intended to launch As back then, but the demand for Bs has been...I am groping for a word which works better than "COMPLETELY INSANE", and failing. It's meant that parts have been in such short supply that - well, you know all this. You've read the post on the front page. :P
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
by toxibunny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 am
I'm dead pleased the model As are coming out soon - I'd love one or two more for various home-automation type projects, but the model B works out at 50 euros each over here, and seeing as you can get pretty decent refurbished PCs including screen and keyboard for just 35, I couldn't really justify it (apples & oranges I know, but still...)

The significantly lower price and power draw put these into a category where I don't have to think about it as much, and the smaller size is even more of a bonus :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...