Raspberry Pi 101 (read before posting)

103 posts   Page 2 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by abishur » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:12 pm
The Read before posting...er... post, has just gotten a much needed tune up as Liz has already provided a much more detailed FAQ page. :) Even if you're a long time member, be sure to swing by the first post of this thread and take a gander at it. (Long story short, it says play nice :P )
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Yolgie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:42 am
Hi,

The Login-Button is quite hard to find (I couldn't find it at all), I had to give the link http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-login.php to a friend of mine so he could access the forum at all
Maybee also make it readable without login?

Cheers

Matthias
by eriksen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:58 am
It is readable without login.. In fact I saw your post now and then logged in and replied. And the login form is at the top of every page in the forum :)
by Javid » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 pm
The FAQ says that the Pi will support (among others) Debian. Is this going to be a special Pi version of the ARM Debian build, or bone stock?
by liz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:12 pm
There will be special builds of a number of distros available when we launch, although Debian ran out of the box.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by Burngate » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:58 pm
I hope you caught him and put him back in before he did too much damage
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by leighb2282 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:31 am
I have a quick question over the 10k first batch, apologies if it is somewhere else on the forum but I couldn't find it in my searches, are they all going to be the 'A' board or a mix of 'A' and 'B'?
by liz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:33 am
They'll be a mix. (Not 50:50 - we expect the Model B to be more popular.)
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
by RaTTuS » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:23 am
How Fat are they going to be - we know the width and length but what about depth ?
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by Montekuri » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:55 am
Quote from RaTTuS on December 7, 2011, 11:23
How Fat are they going to be - we know the width and length but what about depth ?

Read this thread: Official Dimensions
by ArgentsQuest » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:12 am
One of the basic specifications is missing from Wiki.

Information about the SDRAM (total memory bandwidth)

Speed?

Data bus width?

Memory bandwidth and data bus width for CPU?

Memory bandwidth and data bus width for the GPU?

How the CPU and GPU share memory bandwidth?
by jamesh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 am
ArgentsQuest said:

One of the basic specifications is missing from Wiki.

Information about the SDRAM (total memory bandwidth)

Speed?

Data bus width?

Memory bandwidth and data bus width for CPU?

Memory bandwidth and data bus width for the GPU?

How the CPU and GPU share memory bandwidth?

That information is not yet publicly available. And you need it why?
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by ArgentsQuest » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:31 am
Don't need it, was just curious.  It's just one of the basic specs you look at.
by kme » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:31 am
JamesH said:

Well, this is exactly why Broadcom has such a bad, well earned reputation. There is nothing in these numbers a hardware engineer with experience in such systems can't estimate within 10%. Bus speed is known from ARM, bandwidth can be counted from the number of BGA dots etc. So why the hell try to cover up? Cover ups are usually a mean to hide incompetence. If you have nothing to hide, you boldly stand by your numbers.
by jamesh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:37 pm
kme said:

JamesH said:

Well, this is exactly why Broadcom has such a bad, well earned reputation. There is nothing in these numbers a hardware engineer with experience in such systems can't estimate within 10%. Bus speed is known from ARM, bandwidth can be counted from the number of BGA dots etc. So why the hell try to cover up? Cover ups are usually a mean to hide incompetence. If you have nothing to hide, you boldly stand by your numbers.

Who said we are covering it up? They are just not available (yet?). Most of the planet has no need of those figures. I'm sure they will get released at some point, but right now, before the board is even released, they are just not available. And I see no reason why anyone would want them except just out of interest. 99.999% of people cannot do anything useful with them. It's pure nosiness. It won't help people make a choice of whether to buy the board or not - it's $35 - just buy it and see if it does what you want.  Those figures don't help with writing drivers, using the GPU, porting Linux, writing software to run on the device. So please explain why not releasing something of no use to almost everybody gives Broadcom a bad reputation. To get those figures together and confirmed for release would cost Broadcom money - do you want to cough that money up just to know those figures, which are really of not much use?

There is nothing wrong with the figures BTW- in fact they are really rather good so there is nothing to cover up.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
by selvmarcus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:21 am
Hello JamesT, you say the numbers are rather good so *you know* , but can you give *us* your rough estimates or are you not allowed to? This really feels a bit strange to me, especially the pseudo-democratic argument that 99.9999% of the people don't need them, don't want them, don't care. So let's educate them, isn't this also the idea of the whole project? In order that they/we can better decide about their/our computing needs and what to buy. Of course one can always try for $35, but this is also an investment of time and brain, a commitment not only to the money. Also, I don't want more toys I can't use in the end, my place is full of them. Think of the environment, too. It's almost like saying, don't look into the horses mouth, it's a present. You want happy customers, no? There should be informed choices, also for a 13-year old. Let's educate them how to become responsible buyers and not just go mad for any currently hip gadget.

There is just no sane reason not to give us your numbers or even well-informed guesses, except a signed NDA. Sigh.

This is all said, I think it is a great project, and a great thing in general that computers are getting affordable for almost everyone now. Power to the people! And with Linux!! And also the Raspberry Pi won't be alone in its league for long. I am looking forward to a move by the Texas Instruments department, they got out a $5 SoC with comparable processing and graphics power already.. it's just a decision by management to go this way, and given the press and traction the Pi is getting just now, for me it is higly probable there will be a response very soon. You may have a head start of, like, half a year. I am curious. Interesting times.

All the best, Marcus
by aladar65 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 am

When R-pi will on sale?
I can buy it using the Shop in web site?
and the shipping cost for Italy ? - how many $ [or € ;-) ]
by bonzobanana » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm
I came into this thread sniffing for the actual spec. Curious to know what mhz the gpu ran at. Wondered if it operated at the full 700mhz or was timed slower like 350mhz.

That Quake 3 demo was enough to convince me of the power though and I wondered if the GPU was running at the full 700mhz to achieve this.
by sLiceOfPi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41 am
Will we know beforehand when it will launch or will it just be put up in the shopping area on the site at a random moment when you're able to ship?
by n3tw0rk5 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 am
sLiceOfPi said:

Will we know beforehand when it will launch or will it just be put up in the shopping area on the site at a random moment when you're able to ship?

I'm guessing there will be no announcement beforehand, as the amount of requests on the webserver would be crazy. I think it'll just be a watch this space.
by libredrs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 pm
I use Trisquel (no non-free components) for all of my personal/work computing, but interested in the RaspPi for a few projects.

I see from the FAQ that the device Fedora, Debian and ArchLinux will be supported, but none of these are free according to http://www.gnu.org/distros/com.....stros.html

Can anyone provide information about future distributions that will run on the device as well as meet FSF criteria? That's important to me.

Thanks!
by davidgoodenough » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:53 pm
If you read the FSF page you will see that at least Debian can be entirely free, the choice is the user's.  All you have to do is not use non-free.  Everything in the rest of Debian is (now, there used to be some non-free stuff in the kernel but no longer) free and conforms to FSF rules.

This does not imply that there are free bits to replace all the non-free bits, so for instance many wireless cards have non-free firmware, but that is the fault of the wireless card not Debian.  You have the choice to choose one with entirely free firmware (or more likely it is there, but hidden in ROM on the card).

However with the Rasperry Pi there are some non-free blobs that will be needed whatever distribution they are used with - even Debian.  I think, but do not know, that if you do not use the GPU (i.e. use the card without its graphics capability) that you can get pretty close, although the GPU still uses a blob as a bootloader to load the otherwise free Linux - and this is true whatever distribution you use.  You might do this if you are for instance going to use it as a file server (like the SherpaPlug) in which case you would use either a serial console or remote access to manage it.
by jamesh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:58 pm
bonzobanana said:

I came into this thread sniffing for the actual spec. Curious to know what mhz the gpu ran at. Wondered if it operated at the full 700mhz or was timed slower like 350mhz.

That Quake 3 demo was enough to convince me of the power though and I wondered if the GPU was running at the full 700mhz to achieve this.

250MHz. It's the Arm that runs at 700.
by colasoda » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:28 pm
Please could someone tell me if you get any cables with the raspberry pi or do you have to buy them separately, such as the HDMI cable. I can't find the info anywhere.

Thank you,

Colasoda.
by scep » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:32 pm
colasoda said:

Please could someone tell me if you get any cables with the raspberry pi or do you have to buy them separately, such as the HDMI cable. I can't find the info anywhere.

It's in the FAQ! However - no, no cables supplied in the price, but you will be able to buy them at the same time from the RasPi store. NB Don't spend more than a few quid/dollars on an HDMI cable, no matter what the guy in the shop says :)