Raspberry Pi 101 (read before posting)

103 posts   Page 1 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by liz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 pm
Welcome to the Raspberry Pi (Raspi or R-pi for short) forum! We"re glad you want to join our rapidly growing community of individuals interested in the Raspberry Pi project. We know that with our ever growing forums it can be intimidating to know where to begin and hope that this thread can help acclimate you to our community.  We do ask that your first stop would be on the Forum and Blog Netiquette thread and that you would observe the rules we have there.

To learn more about the Raspberry Pi, we encourage you to view R-pi's "Home", "FAQ", and the "About Us" pages. They"re short little pages and contain basic information on  who the Raspberry Pi Foundation is, what the R-pi is and what features the R-pi offers.

Also, be sure to check out Eben Answers Your Questions it answers some of the more pressing questions about how certain features of the Raspberry Pi were chosen to included or left out of the final board.

If you"d like detailed information about all the technical specification of each and every inch be sure to check out our comprehensive wiki page.

If you don"t want to wade through all that information but have questions that are unanswered be sure to use the search feature of the forum to see if it"s already been asked.

We also ask that you remember that the Raspberry Pi is ultimately a charity project. As much as we'd like to put a dual core processor with 2 GB of RAM, 6 sata ports, and USB 3.0, we can"t. We certainly want to hear what you"d like on future boards, but please don"t be rude or unrelenting on demanding it if the response is "not at this time." Our first priority needs to be to the getting the Raspberry Pi into the hands of children who need them and we ask for your understanding if that need means we chose a item you disagree with or don't chose an item you really desire.

From here we hope that you'll drop by and Introduce Yourself then come tell us How you would use a Raspberry Pi device, if you're interested in having a picture associate with your profile, then the Profile Pics thread is one you'll want to pay attention to.

Once again, welcome to the forum, we're glad you"re here!

Many thanks to Abishur for putting this forum faq together!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by JackRosario » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 am
hi i am new to this but i am really interested in it. i am wondering where do i buy this? are they for sale? and if not please contact me and tell me when. i want to get this and test it out. if all goes well, i have about 25 friends who will also buy them. thank you :)
by abishur » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:56 am
check out the first FAQ, on the FAQ page link in this post ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by EWH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 am
One basic bit of information which doesn't seem to be in the FAQ or the Wiki:
Will it come with an SD card?
If not, how will the software be distributed, will there be an option to get an SD card with pre-loaded software and how much will it cost?
In either case, how big is the capacity, about how much of that will be free and what will its read and write speeds be?
by abishur » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:35 am
It's actually tucked away in the question "What Linux distros will be supported at launch?" it says preloaded SD cards will be available for purchase (which answers one of your questions), but cost has not been decided yet. Which is a roundabout way of saying SD card not included ;) So far I believe we've been told of them working with SD cards up to 16 GB in size, but I believe it uses SDHC so technically you *should* be able to use 32 GB. The speed will be entirely dependent on the card itself I fear. I've had some really bad cards that moved like molasses and some that just flew.

As for obtaining the OS from them without purchasing a SD card, I'm hoping they'll offer a torrent of the image (remember we're dealing with a mobile phone processor, not an x86/x64 processor) and let the community burden the bandwidth and storage of the images.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by liz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 am
That's right - we'll be shipping without SD cards, but you can purchase an SD-card pre-flashed with a root filesystem from us; otherwise we will provide people with torrent seeds for images they can flash onto their own cards.

I can't confirm what software you'll get yet - that'll have to be a pleasant surprise for later!
--
by andhavarapu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:02 pm
Sounds awesome, I am sure you're aware of the Pandaboard and Beagleboard? Suggest that to people who want more power ;)
by cathalgarvey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:30 pm
Are the board files and other elements of the basic design going to be released? Will the RPi join the growing and illustrious ranks of Open Source Hardware designs?

I would dearly love to see this grow into more than an exercise in software-only hacking; it'd be really, really awesome to see people expand the hardware and embed the core of the RPi into other hardware projects.
by abishur » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 pm
Basically yes. For a more detailed answer using the search function on the forum for "Open Source" there's a rather good thread there in which we debate what counts as open source and why we shouldn't hold the r-pi foundation over the coals on the single item that some may consider not open source... (for more info you'll just have to search around for the thread :D )
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Efcis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:31 pm
Hi

May I suggest to add the wiki URL in the FAQ, or better, in a section of the website menus ?

Rgds
by abishur » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:47 pm
The second paragraph has a link to the wiki in it already ;)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by liz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:57 pm
I've also bunged a link (kind of - Wordpress has a very annoying WYSIWYG editor which won't let me link to another site in a header, so it's a link to a page about the wiki) into the header.
--
by Michael » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:57 am
Many thanks, Liz! Please could you link the beginners and tasks wiki pages in that wordpress page also?
by liz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:18 pm
Done and done - sorry; I only just noticed your post.
--
by Dietmar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 pm
Hi all,
GREAT project!!!
"Since the R-pi does not use a traditional x86 or x64 processor, Operating Systems designed to run on those architectures will not work..."
I make a try with Windows XP :-) on it, first, without real hardware, using Qemu faking an ARMV6 architekture,
and we will see:-):-),
greetings from Germany
Dietmar

PS: I am also teacher for Informatik. Pupils have a big interest for Raspberry Pi.
First we make a try with Qemu, running under XP and Debian Arm Kernel.
I will send picture with Quake II and fps soon. For Settler II, may be DosBox is better, there is a version of Dosbox, that works direct under ARMV6.
by liz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 pm
Dietmar - the UK needs ICT teachers like you.

If you use a cheeky double Qemu: X86 Qemu under Qemu for the ARM versatile target, I think you *might* be able to get XP running. (Haven't tried - it's just a hunch.) If you can get it going, would you mind letting us know? It'd be a good thing to let the community know about - there are still a lot of folk out there who prefer Windows.
--
by Dietmar » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 pm
Hi liz,
at the moment I'm trying to replace ARM1136 against ARM1176 under Debian.
Under XP with Qemu 0.11.1 I will get XP under double Quemu to run, but whether that also works with Qemu 0.15 and ARM1176, I do not know.
Is there somewhere a list of command line instructions for Qemu for Windows? At OLPC, I found something, but it is incomplete,
nice to hear from you
Dietmar
by Dietmar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 pm
Hi all,
very slowly I get better with Qemu under XP :-).
I noticed some strange behavior from the Windows Shell for Qemu, build with setupqemuk70.exe for Windows XP.
Some commands there are not the same as in commandline of XP for Qemu.
Now, I only use commandline in XP for Qemu.

This is my shortest version to make ARM running via Qemu from XP commandline:

C:\>qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-versatile
-initrd initrd.img -hda raspi.qcow2 -append "root=/dev/sda1"

This is for all files lokated in C:\ of XP.

You can use initrd.gz from http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
but this works only for installation. When you do not change it after installation against initrd.img from
http://people.debian.org/~aure.....emu/armel/
, after reboot it wants to install again and again...brrr.
On the site above are also ready build Qemufiles (qcow2) for ARM, which works.

Nice to hear from you
Dietmar
by Dietmar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:38 pm
Hi all,
I tested a lot of Windows Qemu Versions with Debian for ARM.
Latest was Qemu 0.15.00 for Windows, which also gives running Debian with ARM926 processor.
ALWAYS Qemu crashes under XP with a commandline starting like this:
qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1136
I tested all in Qemu avaible machines for ARM, really a lot.
Only versatilepb and versatileab maschines work for me, but only when you set processor to -cpu arm926.
So my question ist: Does anybody get a result for a cpu arm1136 (or arm1176) when testing with cat /proc/cpuinfo under Qemu?
I get always as result ARM926EJ-S.

Nice to hear from you Dietmar
by ukscone » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:58 pm
(armv6l:1) /home # cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 111.51
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : ARM-Versatile PB
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1176 -nographic -no-reboot -kernel zImage $WITH_HDC $WITH_HDB -hda hda.sqf -append "root=/dev/sda rw init=/sbin/init.sh panic=1 PATH=$DISTCC_PATH_PREFIX/bin:/sbin console=ttyAMA0 HOST=armv6l $KERNEL_EXTRA" $QEMU_EXTRA -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by ukscone » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:05 pm
ARM1176 - 0xb76
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Dietmar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:40 pm
Hi ukscone,
I get mail from your message and I read all. Thanks a lot :-)!
Now I understand, that this is the problem from the Qemu Version 0.15.00, compiled for windows. I can choose
-cpu any
there for this Qemu version in commandline of XP, but it crashs also. Do you know, how to compile Qemu 0.15.50 for Windows? Best choice would be compile for XP. May be I can do this also, but where are the binaries for Windows for this Qemu Version 0.15.50?
Without that, I can only test everything for the ARM926 platform.
Have a nice evening,
Dietmar
by ukscone » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:47 pm
Quote from Dietmar on September 14, 2011, 17:40
Hi ukscone,
I get mail from your message and I read all. Thanks a lot :-)!
Now I understand, that this is the problem from the Qemu Version 0.15.00, compiled for windows. I can choose
-cpu any
there for this Qemu version in commandline of XP, but it crashs also. Do you know, how to compile Qemu 0.15.50 for Windows? Best choice would be compile for XP. May be I can do this also, but where are the binaries for Windows for this Qemu Version 0.15.50?
Without that, I can only test everything for the ARM926 platform.
Have a nice evening,
Dietmar

I haven't tried it but this link might be helpful http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/

[edit: just found this http://qemu.weilnetz.de/ it seems to be binaries from septemember qemu git pulls ]
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Dietmar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:46 pm
Hi ukscone,
yeaah, that looks good.
Not so easy to compile for XP,
but I make try,
thanks a lot
Dietmar
by Dietmar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 pm
Hi all,
does anybody know, if the Linux on
http://people.debian.org/~aure...../qemu/arm/
supports the ARM cpu ARM 1136?
This is best prebuild image for Qemu I found so far. Network and everything works, but only for ARM926 emulation with Qemu 0.15.0.0 for Windows.
By the way, older Qemu builds for Windows are really not nice for ARM simulation.
I want to fix the problem with XP. So, now I am not sure if the problem is in Qemu 0.15.50 for Windows or just in this Linux :-),

thanks for help
Dietmar