Raspbian Sound Not Working

4 posts
by Tyharo1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:37 am
I just got my raspberry pi in today and I've set it up to a lcd monitor and ran the audio to a pare of speakers and a sub. When I try to play a song using the aplay command, it says its playing but I'am getting no sound. I'am noticing at boot it says "warning PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions."
Can anyone help me get the sound working?
by Jessie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 am
Many people reccomend uninstalling pulseaudio, because it sometimes interferes with ALSA. I've had (and continue to have) issues with sound myself. I can't get it out of some applications (like dosbox), but then others play audio just fine.

You can try removing pulse audio from the command line like this: sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
It is case sensitive so make sure I have pulseaudio spelt right if it dosn't work off the bat. In the case that it turns out you need pulse audio re-installing is simple: sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

Sometimes you will have to do and update and upgrade to apt-get first. Other than that I don't know what to reccomend because I pass audio through the HDMI on my setup.
Click my website link under my avitar for the RetroPie 2.3 guide in progress.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Tyharo1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:25 am
I uninstalled pulseaudio, went to my song in the terminal and used aplay. Now I'm getting static which is better than nothing. I'm running audio out of the monitor my raspberry pi is going to on my setup, I dont know if it makes a difference. Any ideas on how to get the actual music and not just fuzz?
by Tyharo1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 am
I found a solution, I apparently didnt have alsa utils installed. I installed them and now It works great with vlc media player.