Introduce yourself!

2158 posts   Page 40 of 87   1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 87
by Mathew! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm
Hello, i am a independent developer.

I am looking forwards to getting a hold of one of these for developing a client for my multimedia project.

Very interested in porting my Linux project over to it, will be interesting to play with one of these, particularly the HD side. :D

Nice slogan, but i do feel i missed a bit. :lol:
by terrycarlin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:13 am
I'm Terry Carlin. Wrote my first program in 1966 on an IBM 1620. Like a lot of the old folks here, I had a ZX81. Been a linux guy since v 0.10 (if I remember right, that was 1992) Have had at least one linux box running since then. These days I get paid to develop Android apps. Got my Pi a couple of days ago. I have 2012_06_10_spindle_wheezy_public_alpha running. I have been writing some python code to do home automation using an Insteon 2412N controller. The Pi works just fine.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.
by Reinholt56 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:48 am
I'm Paul, going by the alias Reinholt56.

Computer systems guy since 1977, amateur composer, avid Sci-Fi reader and (weather permitting) photographer.

Looking forward to more time with my new Pi. Hoping to develop the system to interact with MIDI data, in a small way.

( Listen to the music of Reinholt56 at: http://www.macjams.com/artist/Reinholt56 )
by thradtke » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:32 am
Thomas' the name. Got my Pi with help of a fellow forum member few weeks ago.

Currently running Debian Squeeze and Win7 (via tightvncplayer) on it and literally enjoy the silence. In the long run, I want to get the Pi into an Amiga 500 case, along with an Arduino as HID pretender, decoding the Amigas keyboard signals. That's probably enough to keep me busy until, years from now, AROS runs natively on the Pi :lol:
Full-time noob forever.
by raspimagic » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:53 pm
Hi all,

Got my despatch notice from ParcelForce yesterday, so I'm now looking forward to the arrival of my Pi on Monday. Have been 'stalking' the forums for a couple of months, and finally got round to registering.

Hoping to get some cool stuff working on the PI, including a Bare Metal SDK, that will hopefully provide an environment similar to those available for the Arduino etc. and make it easier to get low level projects running on the Pi.

Will be documenting all my experiences at http://raspimagic.wordpress.com and tweeting about it as @raspimagic, so please check it out.
"Why is the winner of Miss Universe always from earth?" - Rich Hall

visit my blog @ raspimagic.wordpress.com, and follow @raspimagic on twitter, for info on the stuff I'm (trying) to do with the RPi
by Annec » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:24 am
I'm Anne and I live in rural Derbyshire. I've enjoyed playing with and using computers since the 1980s and always intended to get down to learning some programming. Work, domestic responsibilities and other interests haven't left much time for that but I think the raspi is going to get me going.
by Atrix Man » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:04 pm
Hi I'm Clive
I got my Pi this week. But have only just got keyboard and mouse to use it. I am very much an enthusiastic amateur with no formal IT or Computer code training. In the past like many I taught myself ZX81 basic and used it to write some quite long programs for use in Cattle feeding (I'm a farmer). With the advent of PC's I did write some simple Dos Batch - Menus but have not written anything for years. I have just sold my farm and am looking to buy another. So have got plenty of spare time to get back to writing program again (if I can remember how)!! :roll:
by steveM » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:57 pm
Hi.

My 1st introduction into computing was in 1968 when as wide eyed 10 year old my dad took me to see the new NCR computer in what is now Harare Zimbabwe. It had a profound effect on the course of my life, that has seen me through, electro mechanical teleprinters, early military frequency hoppers, Heathkit 6800 trainer, cellular radio, Slackware when it was new, working on some of the worlds largest data networks, and soon to be user of the Raspberry Pi.

Plans for the Pi? Chart plotter for my boat!!!
by DarkDragon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:07 pm
My name is Ben and I am a computational astrophysicist. I was lucky enough to get my Pi a few weeks ago, and have been very impressed with how powerful such a small, inexpensive device is proving to be.

I have various ideas of what I'd like to do with my Pi, but one of the first is games development. In my spare time, along with a small group of friends, I code iPhone games, so was delighted to discover that the Pi also uses OpenGL ES 2. We've already started porting our latest game to the Pi, if you're interested in helping us test it, take a look at http://iridiumrising.co.uk
by mraltair » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:50 pm
DarkDragon wrote:My name is Ben and I am a computational astrophysicist. [...]

Now that's one cool job title.
by steve_ancell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 pm
OOPS!... I joined up earlier, did some posts elsewhere on the forum but forgot to introduce myself first. :oops:

With that bit out of the way, I'm Steve Ancell, I hope to find many uses for the Raspberry Pi, when I finally get one, and hope to make many new friends on this forum. :D
by AshleyC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:32 pm
Hi, my names Ashley from Derbyshire and im a alcoholic....ooops wrong forum :)

I don't work with computers at all, im a Carpenter & Joiner but have always enjoyed programming since i first had a zx spectrum for Christmas, i spent more time entering pages of code from magazines than i did playing games.

Now i have ordered my Raspberry Pi and look forward to spending even more time typing away for hours and hours cursing away because it wont do what i want it to.

Anyway that's me introduced and no doubt shall be a regular on these forums looking for help :)
by hamj36 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:52 pm
My name's Jon, and I live in Southampton, UK. I've been involved for over 30 years with computers of one sort or another since a physics teacher at my secondary school introduced me at the age of 15 or so to a Science of Cambridge MK14, which got me into machine code programming (typing programs in in hex codes: no assembler for a machine that small). He also introduced me to a Compukit UK101 where I learnt BASIC as well as machine code, then the school finally got Commodore PETs. I then got a job at the local university programming a Z80-based NASCOM system, DEC PDP-11s and VAXen, then a 68000-based UNIX box, then PCs; also built and ran a departmental network of around 200 nodes till I left the University in 1999. I've owned personally a MK14, TRS-80 Model 1, BBC B with loads of addons, too many PCs to mention (my home has more functional computers than people). So as you can see I'm in no way a technophobe :D . And yes, I'm a science fiction nut (no surprise there I suspect).

I got my start with computers because of one man who cared enough to buy machines for kids to use at his own expense. Back then, schools didn't have computer courses. I was appalled to discover that 30-odd years on, students still aren't getting opportunities to learn about how they really work, and feel it's time to "pay it forward" and do something about it. To that end, I'm about to try to start a local Raspi interest group in the local area (will post more on that in the user groups forum) with a view to getting them into schools.

What am I going to do with my Raspi when it arrives (hopefully at end of June)? Well apart from showing iit to interested people, I'd like to port a BBC Micro emulator to it (well the Raspi was inspired by it and it doesn't seem to been done yet for some reason). I'm also interested in porting glquake (aka Quake 1), but will have to give myself a crash course in OpenGL and OpenGLES first.

Cheers!
by Mamadou Diallo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:54 am
Hi,
I'am Mamadou Diallo Iam, living in Bamako Mali in West Africa.
I use to speak and work in French, so my English is not that fluent yet.

I've got a new RPi thru a relative living in London.

I'am active in Intternet Society Mali our national Chapter, interested in low cost computing to give access to school kids.

So with friends and members of Internet Society Mali we are planning to put 55 RPis in a Primary school computer room.

Have been registered before, time ago, and since I forgot username and password I used last year I registered again.

Yours, Diallo Iam.
by dmroeder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:17 am
Dustin here from the Northwest corner of the US! I'm not a Pi owner yet but I'm on the list! I was a little slow getting to the Pi party but I've been semi-patiently waiting for some time now to be invited to order. I'm getting a little restless though!

My background is in industrial automation but recently have been sucked into the world of programming. I have been developing in VB/VB.NET for the past couple of years since it's fairly common in the industrial environment. I've been taking up Python over the last few weeks in preparation for my inevitable purchase of my RPi. I cannot wait!

Cheers!
by epicrus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:39 pm
greetings pi peeps,

I'm Tim and I live on rural Morecambe Bay. I'm a volunteer in my local library - digital championing and otherwise preparing the ground for the arrival of B4RN and FTTH.

I peaked in the 1980s and learned BBC Basic. It's been downhill ever since. I have four grandsons under six and hope to keep up with them for as long as I can. I'm interested in the education application end of the operation and when I find the threads I can understand I look forward to learning from all and sundry.
by Presto » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:11 pm
Hello
I'm a mature student studying Business Computer Systems in the UK. Grew up with an Amiga 500/1200 and the Pi interested me in being a machine that kids could tinker with like you could the old machines.

Very interested to see what I can do with the Pi, in terms of programming, web/media servers, potential games and what where it could find good use at university.
by sumpod richard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 am
Hello
I have just been sent a raspberry pi from RS and in the last day have it plugged into the back of my TV running xbmc. What is excellent is how it is powered using one of the TVs USB sockets.

Next I will be printing a case to attach to the back of the TVs vesa mount.

I am from thw UK and sell 3d printers.

Thanks
by thumper109 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 am
Just an old geek who wanted to play with a cool computer.

Have just started building a web server on my Pi. Want to see just how much of a personal website I can get running before it runs out of grunt. Wordpress had some troubles when I got mysql running. So I need to rethink the mysql config.

Love my Pi.. Good work...
by geffers » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:08 am
Hi Folks,

My name is Geoff, screen name geffers.

Age 63, live in UK, use Windows only when I have to, have Ubuntu installed on a HP laptop, an Acer Aspire One and two ancient desktops. Also run Debian from a USB stick for 'play' purposes.

Haven't got my Pi yet, ordered April, promised June now delayed until July :(

Ah well.

Geffers
by ptrenh » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:34 pm
Hi,

Apparently I had an inappropriate username/nickname that I've been using since the beginning of the interwebs. Quite hilarious actually.

Anyways, I forgot my initial introductory post, but here goes:

I love electronics.

-PT
by Mikeyl » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:04 pm
I'm Mike and have been playing with computers since I had an ELF II single board machine back in 1979 - the pi reminds me a lot of that machine.

I went on to write games for the Spectrum, Amstrad, ST, Amiga and PC before doing some real work and programming in MUMPS, C, VB, etc creating hotel systems, credit card handling and health insurance.

I now make Toy Soldiers for a living but am looking at the pi as a fun project to play with, do some robotics with and probably produce a Python version the the Adventure Kernel system I wrote for a book back in 1986...
by bolsover » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:16 am
Hi all
Pi arrived from element 14 last week - not had much time to play yet - but have managed to get media player and Java up and running. Despite postings suggesting that Java would be unusable, I can confirm that it does work - although not fast.

Looking forward to messing with the GPIO.
by penguinclaw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 pm
Hi my name is Jay. I live in the UK and am married my three children.

I build computers for myself, friends and family; help administer them as well. Preferred OS: Linux but also use Windows 7 for my necessary art software. (I so wish software vendors would port to Linux - Wine doesn't support my needed software :( Currently I personally use Fedora 17 and Crunchbang. I love tinkering with anything technical, hence my acquisition of RP :D I have lobbied my local MP to get better IT taught at schools; so I am really excited about this project and hope it really catches on. I think the current system of teaching word, spreadsheets etc is not enough. My children weren't even taught the basics of pc security ie backups, updates, security software..... My eldest daughter is at Uni now and although not technically minded is quite happy with Kubuntu on her laptop and I think probably stuns her friends with all the bells and whistles :)

I remember the early days of home computing and how exciting it was to buy a magazine and type in the code to create a game or such and then, as always seemed to happen, debugging the code mostly due to my typos!

I received my Raspberrypi last week and am now just waiting for a hdmi cable to hook it up to my monitor; purchased from amazon for £1.01 with free postage! I thought about scratch building a case, but I know think that I will wait and buy the official case when it becomes available.
by speculatrix » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:12 am
I'm Steve. I'm a freelance journalist and author. My journalism focuses on information security and I'm the editor of two infosec journals, Network Security and Computer Fraud & Security, a Certified Ethical Hacker and I blog very occasionally at www.contrarisk.com. I'm also the author of two novels.

I have an amateur's fascination with robotics. I first started tinkering with robots (if that's not too disgusting an image) back in the 1980s when I was part of a group building a home robot controlled by BBC Micros (I was deputy editor of Acorn User for a spell). I recently got back into it when I discovered the Arduino. When I started hitting the limitations of that device, I looked around for a low-power Linux platform. So now I have two BeagleBones and an RPi (with a second on the way - oops! It was an accident, honest).

I'm also going to look at playing with the RPi as a 'dropbox' solution for penetration testing. Currently having fun with the pwnpi distro.

My wife thinks I'm a hopeless geek, and she's right. So that's okay then...