Introduce yourself!

2147 posts   Page 39 of 86   1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 86
by Nicholas » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:14 pm
Hey all,

I'm Nicholas and I'm due a Pi in the very near future! I'm looking forward to getting the device and playing with it, and hopefully contributing to the community in any way I can. At the moment, I am considering offering my skills as a volunteer (perhaps in teaching) but in the long term I hope to offer my skills and experience in software engineering, implementation and usability research.

Nicholas
by parkenator » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:21 pm
Hey all

Im James.
Had pre-registered with RS yonks ago tho looks as tho it hadnt worked so had to register interest again recently :( so looks like i wont be gettin my pi anytime soon.
Once i do get it i hope to start on some small automation projects i have planned :D. Mainly brew-controller (beer) projects and the likes :D.
by simplesi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 pm
I'm Simon
Awaiting my RP (from RS - have been alowed to order last week - 6 week waiting time :( ) I'm an computer techy (work in primary schools) Bought a BBC A and converted it to a B (just bought a RP B this time as my surface mount soldering skills aren't the greatest!) "looking forward" to learning Perl (Can't stand OOP - straight forward procedural man myself)- very much into teaching Scratch in primaries -got an Arduino last year and programmed it to be an infra-red transcoder (so Sky remote can control TV,blu-Ray and Kenwood AV amp). Want to use RPs as DLNA clients and experiment with them as household/robot controllers
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter
by harry brand » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm
Hi, I'm Harry, I'm a bit of a fitness fanatic and probably a lot of a "geek" I work in the packaging industry and have been building computers since the 1990's. I've been building websites since 2001and have set up my own apache servers that I ran from home. I've also used lots different *nix flavours too over the years. I currently have a duel booting box thats win7 and ubuntu 12.04 and I have a a little acer netbook with no operating system installed that I use with BT4 on usb when I'm away and now I have a raspberry pi. I love to hack, I have an orange san fransisco phone that bears no resemblance whatsoever to the one orange sell, I jailbroke my iPhone 3g the day I bought it having just paid £350 for it thus voiding the warranty lol. I still have it and it's fine. :D I'll be trying lots of different ideas with the pi, while I can write html off the top of my head and understand php, mysql etc. I have never programmed so may give it a whirl using the pi.
by rustybikes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:00 pm
Hi everyone, I'm Ken (aka rustybikes). I first became aware of the RP by way of a thread on another forum I frequent. The title of the thread was/is "Raspberry Pi: your kid's Commodore 64" Having grown up with the C64, it got my attention. I've long had a soft-spot for the C64 - it was my first "real" computer, and where I first learnt how to write code.

In the 30 years (gah.. I feel old) since, I've dabbled in code here-n-there with things VB, C, Perl, BASH scripting, PowerShell, Python, PHP, etc. as part of my role as a random IT drone - not an expert coder by any means, but I find the RP inspiring.

Given the challenges in getting these from Farnell and RS, I reluctantly snagged one from eBay. I hope that doesn't make me a horrible person. I feel dirty, anyway (hate hate hate eBay).

So, now, I'm anxiously stalking USPS for my slice of Pi. They *claim* that it'll be home today. So. Excited!

In preparation, I've been absorbing as much information as I can stand here. I also spent a few hours this past Saturday watching Liam's vids (Thanks Liam!) on YouTube, building the Debian Squeeze VM that he describes. Having worked with Linux since v0.9, it wasn't rocket-science at all, but I found his tutorials very helpful in putting together a small R.Pi simulacrum on my MacBook. I've actually written some new Python code for the first time in longer than I care to admit. I know the "real thing" is going to be even more fun.

Just checked USPS again.. "Out for delivery".. WHOOO!!! :D
by rachel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:26 pm
Hi,

I'm Rachel and I've been involved in with computers since 1981 when I fell in love with unix at university. I'm luckily enough to still be employed using computers having gone unix, emas, Pick, universe, jbase, back to unix. Languages, BASIC, java with various bits of C, pascal, cobol :-( and fortran in the middle.

As soon as I heard about the Pi I was determined to get one.

What I like

The concept of the Pi to bring back people to learn real computing.
The designers of the Pi for what they have created
Everybody on forums like this who develop ideas and help each other.

What I dislike

People who got an early Pi and then put it up for sale on ebay; don't you get the concept!
The lazy people who want a details script of exactly what commands to type to do something: Read, listen, learn and search for what you need to do.
by jecxjo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:29 pm
Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a Sr Software Engineer working in the Oil and Natural Gas industry. The company I work for builds liquid and gas flow measurement devices that run on low power, exist in extreme conditions, and must run with very minimal human interaction. My main area of expertise is Operating Systems and Communications. I work on hardware as small as 8-bit microcontrollers up to 500MHz ARM embedded systems running large amounts of I/O.

I started working with computers when I was 10, learning BASIC on our family's Tandy, dialing into a BBS run by guy a town away (oh the long distance charges!!!) and pretty much taking everything electronic apart and mostly getting all the parts back in. My grade school had programming classes starting in 5th Grade with Apple's Hyper Card, 6th and 7th Grade extended my languages to include Pascal and 8th through 12th would add C and C++. Went to Iowa State University for my undergrad (2001-2005) studying Computer Engineering, worked as a TA, wrote lab course work for students to write code to interact with Hardware they implemented in HDL languages.

From a Linux standpoint I've been running it either in parallel with Windows or as my only OS since 1996 when I installed a copy of Red Hat 4. In High School a quarter of my day I worked for my district maintaining Red Hat servers. At my current job I've implemented a distro for our products, written SPI and UART kernel modules and been our only real kernel hacker.

Sorry for the long description, sitting on a conference call with no useful input so I'm just typing out of boredom.
IRC (w/ SSL Support): jecxjo.mdns.org
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code
ProjectEuler Friend: 79556084281370_44d12dd95e92b1d9453aba2bdc94101b
by mraltair » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 pm
Hi I'm Mark. I'm an IT tech at an independent school in the UK. Being 22 I missed the interesting part of computer history when PC owners knew what every chip did because they were the ones that put it there. I've always wanted to know how something works, I remember many times as a kid sitting on the floor surrounded by the innards of a radio, CD player or clock and a screwdriver in hand.

My interest in computing only really came to me a few years ago. I have a huge love of puzzles too. I have been called Sherlock on a few occasions due to my need of a challenge.

After finishing my A-levels (18yo) with no plan I went to a IT support college and landed my current job. I love working with computers everyday, but I want to learn to program, build circuits and then programs to control them. This is where the Pi comes in.
by Midnight Caller » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:38 pm
rachel wrote:[Big Sinp]

The lazy people who want a details script of exactly what commands to type to do something: Read, listen, learn and search for what you need to do.

I guess that I am one of them lazy people, wen I ask for help?

I may not be able to read with out a Text Reader but I do like a challenge. Image
Please remember that I am Dyslexic wen replying
by damaru » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 pm
I am Gef (aka Damaru),

33 years old tech, moving toward a more creative use of computer trough design, publishing, generative art, DJ and general hacking of device.

My wife and I starting a small studio, with service ranging from web and graphic design to e-publishing, event, dance and yoga (we got quite a broad range of interest!). You can read a bit of our outdate blog at : http://ponnuki.net

I am working on few project at the moment which include hypnosis, digital audio, electronics and of course the Raspberry Pi hacking. You can follow some of these project at : http://lab.open3.cc
by RichardUK » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 pm
Hi, I'm Richard. Currently living on the Isle of Wight. Started coding when I was 12 when my dad brought a zx80 in the house. 30 years later I am still at it. Lucky really as I dropped out of school at 15, they said I could not cope with computers being dyslexic and I should be a chef. Well they were very wrong! I've work for some big companies like Sega, Eidos and TomTom. And some smaller places like Kuju (formally Simis), Stainless games and The Creative Assembly to name a few. Done some military work too for Cohort PLC, which was cool. For now I'm working for Solcom working on projects that include very big robots. :)

I brought the RPi for a few reasons, it's a new gadget, it's only £25, and I may use it for some projects at work.

Currently I'm fighting with eclipse and the RPi tool chain trying to get the cross compiling working.
by John Cooke » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 am
Hi,
I got my RPi yesterday, all I've done with it so far is:
  • burn the debian image to SD card (SanDisk 2Gb micro SD via a SanDisk adapter using an Apple Mac Mini)
  • plug in an HDMI monitor
  • plug in an old Apple USB keyboard
  • plug in an Apple optical mouse
  • plug in the power supply I bought from RS Components
  • (note, I didn't connect an Ethernet cable)
  • logged in
  • typed 'startx'
  • after discovering that I got no mouse response, plugged in an old Apple (hockey puck) USB mouse
  • opened a Terminal
  • started Python
  • hit <CTRL>-D twice
  • shutdown :)
I've been a C/Unix developer since 1988 and a Python user since the mid-nineties (Python 1.5 IIRC).
I've also taught Python (to techies) and look forward to teaching Python to non-techies on their RPi's
by Governa » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:01 am
Hi All, I'm Ricardo and I'm from Oporto, Portugal. Recently placed an order for a Raspberry Pi from RS. Waiting time: 7 weeks. I plan on using it as a webserver just for fun. Cheers
1x RPi 512MB (China model B rev 2) • 2x RPi 256MB (UK model B rev 1)
by msb » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:17 pm
Hi

I'm a UK-based high school teacher who got into computers back on 1981 starting with a Sinclair ZX81 so I've messed about with BASIC to the point where I could author straightforward strategy games and question and answer programs. Since then I've taught ICT in some shape or form for most of my thirty years' teaching career and am largely self-taught in computing matters.

My experience of programming is limited to my early 80s BASIC project days, and to writing websites in HTML before Dreamweaver came along. I've also dabbled with Scratch. I host a php-based bulletin board but didn't code it, and have had a bit of luck adapting open source Javascript routines without knowing much about the language itself, so I'm happy to meddle.

Like many, I look forward to the disapplication of the National Curriculum in ICT in state schools, but am a little daunted about how to meet the demand for greater emphasis on programming, especially at exam level. I'm not too old to learn new tricks though, and as soon as I can connect my RPi to my spare VGA monitor (it's possible) I plan to make a start.
by extravagoose » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:58 pm
Just realised I neglected to post in here!... :oops:

My name is Steve, I've been working as a freelance IT Training Consultant for a number of years. I'm also study for a degree in Business Information Systems at the University of East Anglia. I hope to study for a PhD eventually.

I've had my Raspberry Pi for several weeks now and can't quite get enough of it (much to my wife's displeasure! - I think she wants to ban me from it in the evenings!). Anyway, am running Arch Linux ARM and have managed to get it booting from a 500gb USB hard disk (the SD card just simply tells the Pi to boot from the HDD). Am playing extensively with the website stuff - have so far learned HTML 5 and CSS 3 using my Pi as a host for a simple personal web site :) http://www.sjjones.me.uk (so long as its powered up!).

I'm hoping to delve deeper into the programming stuff especially with C and maybe Python too. I'm also hoping to try and somehow get Java to work... but this is probably going to be tough...
RPi 1: Hostname: Gimli, 500Gb USB HDD, ArchLinux | ARM.
Main Use: Bit of everything - but mainly web server, Network Storage and C programming.

RPi 2: Hostname tba, awaiting delivery.
by Evilronald » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:24 pm
Hi guys

Im James. Im here for no other reason than the Pi looks an interesting project.
Im no programmer, just a part time enthusiast/idiot and game player. But who knows, once i actually get my Pi i might have a go at some basics :)
by art.gibbens » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:54 pm
Howdy,

My name is Art Gibbens and I am looking to use this device as a data logger/flight recorder for some model rocketry projects. Been flying since 1972 and have been waiting for something like this to come along. I've been a Redhat/Fedora fan for quite a spell (more than 10 years anyways). I'm hoping that I can learn some new tricks with this device to add to my computer skills and knowledge base.

From what I've read so far, it takes awhile to get your hands on one. I just registered with Premier Farnell about 30 minutes ago. Sooooooo, when I finally am able to purchase one and get my hands on it, I'll stop back with lots of questions.
by MasterSplinter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:44 pm
Hi yah,

I got a Pi coming to me soon. I've got my case already:

I plan on using Fedora Remix (v14, atm).

I'm thinking I will put a media center on it... and anything else that might seem cool. I'll keep my eyes pealed.

-MS
by iwerebeer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:27 pm
Hi All,

My name is David. I am a US expat living in London. While over here I have decided to start a brewery, and would like to use the Raspberry Pi, tied with some type of Arduino type component, to help automate and control the brewing process.

I have a background in accounting systems which would probably put me at slightly better at understanding coding than the average person. So hopefully no one is too hard on me! ;)

If anyone is interested in helping me out on this idea, I would welcome it. There would probably be loads of free beer at the end of it too!

-Best

David
by Midnight Caller » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:22 pm
extravagoose wrote:[Big Snip] Am playing extensively with the website stuff - have so far learned HTML 5 and CSS 3 using my Pi as a host for a simple personal web site :) http://www.sjjones.me.uk (so long as its powered up!).
[Snip]

Steve a very nice looking web site, I can not get my head around HTML 5, plus Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), So I use plane html for my sites.
Please remember that I am Dyslexic wen replying
by sn00zerman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:31 am
Hi folks,

I'm Kris, from Belgium. I'm born in april '74, and as a day-job, I'm an IT business line analyst.
(Used to be a software developer, but now I make the analyses and tell other people how to program)

I got my first "computer" at the age of 12, namely a C64 :-) This got me hooked up to IT, so it's no suprise I graduated in computer sciences :-)
Due to an inheritable "problem" with my blood, I got a hart-attack at the age of 29. This totally changed my life. I switched jobs and wifes, and descided to only work during day-time (i was a work-a-holic before) I joined a computer-club (lol) and a video-club (I started making movies)
And also started with self-studying electronics and digged up my old "love", namely modelrailroading.

The last years I have been busy with FriendlyArm devices and android devices (I even do have android running on an O2 joggler digital pictureframe, and I do own about 7 different tablets), in combination with self-build PCBs with Atmel AVR and Microchip PIC on it.
I started with some 7-segment clocks, followed by nixie clocks and a POV clock, now, about 6 years later, I designed my own home automation system from scratch.
(which, for the moment, runs on Android, but I'm planning on switching "the brains" of my system, to a RPI)
I create my schematics in Eagle, route the PCB in eagle (manually) and mill / drill my PCBs on my own CNC machine.
I'm a complete self-made men, I own a CNC machine (I use this to mill my PCBs and various modelrailroad related stuff), I also have a 50W CO2 laser machine (mainly used for modelrailroad builings for the moment), and shortly I will also own a 3D printer and a lathe/mill.
Did I already mention that I like to build stuff ? :-)

I do remember reading my first Raspberry Pi-related articles somewhere in 2011.
and didn't have time (due to work-related issues) on the Pi D-Day to buy one at 6 AM. (Actually, I did manage to register somewhere about 9 AM or so)
I got number 20989 at RS components, and around may 19th, I got an invitation to order a RPI. 5 minutes after receiving this email, it was already paid :-)
Yesterday I received an email from DHL with tracking number, and today my RPI (already) arrived.

If you got "curious" or want more info about all my electronics/hardware projects, or are a modelrailroad enthousiast,
or want to do a "project" together, then, please, visit my website at http://www.digitalplayground.be

best regards from Belgium,
Kris
by laurenh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:13 pm
That's quite the tale, Kris! I do hope that the RPI brings as little frustration as possible to your life!

I'm looking at picking up an APC (Android PC) while I wait for my 'Pi, and either of them might be used for a home automation project. May I ask what prompts you to go the other way?
by RichardUK » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 pm
iwerebeer wrote:Hi All,
If anyone is interested in helping me out on this idea, I would welcome it. There would probably be loads of free beer at the end of it too!

-Best

David

Blatant plug, but check out one of the services we have developed at work called Whzan. We have used it for the backbone of quite a few projects for customers who need remote monitoring and control. It has a Json interface as well as .NET so is very easy to send data to and receive data from. For the display it uses SilverLight as well as there being an Android SDK (still in beta).
by spenmixa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:21 pm
I am 72 years old, I have my Pi set up with an old TV and booted with Debian. I really don't know how I am going to use it. I bought it because I remember playing with the ZX 81 30 years ago and spent hours building projects from Magazine articles for it.. Before ZX81 I was interested in Amatuer Radio my call sign was G8IBJ ,or was it G8OBJ ( memory is a bit overcrowded )
But Computers became my main Hobby after 1981. I have had Spectrum, and still have 2 BBC compuyers and 2 Atari ST's. ( not used for 10 years ). I purchased the Atari ST because my other main interest is making music and it was way ahead of the game in that department.
Today I have 3 Desktop PC's , 2 of them dual boot with Ubuntu / Windows.
I wrote this intro on my Bedside Desktop ( which I installed mainly so I could watch BBC iPlayer ).
I spent a lot of time trying to learn HTML. but gave it up when I found out how easy it is to use MoonFruit
which I used to make my webpage http://www.davidmaher.co.uk. .
I am sure I will find things to do with Raspi and look forward to posting here again
by sn00zerman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:07 am
laurenh wrote:That's quite the tale, Kris! I do hope that the RPI brings as little frustration as possible to your life!

I'm looking at picking up an APC (Android PC) while I wait for my 'Pi, and either of them might be used for a home automation project. May I ask what prompts you to go the other way?

Hi Laurenh,

Well, within Android, you don't have full access to all aspects of the device.
I can't remember every aspect, but one thing that I remember is, for example, you can't set the clock
of the device from within code. (this is not a limitation of the tools I used, but is an Android issue)
There were several others, which decided to "leave" the android path :-)
Some can life with this limitations, others don't, I one of those others :-)

Last night I did fire up my Pi for the first time, after 10 minutes everything was setup correctly.
(locales/keyboard/screen resolution/synaptic/network/gambas)
I even did my first "hello word" on the GPIO (well, a blinking LED)

Good luck,
Kris
http://www.digitalplayground.be