Introduce yourself!

2134 posts   Page 38 of 86   1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 86
by marcopal » Sun May 20, 2012 7:52 pm
HI I'm Marco, executive@Accenture. I'm 41. I have 2 children, 14 and 10 with missing priorities on base technology and lot of skills on advanced entertainement technology (PS3, ..... Iphone, Ipad etc..).
I'm perfectly convinced that there is a lack of developement of skills in programming for young people, in general and our public school environment is not supporting a lot.
Kids will join programming late and they loose the best years in which their capacity to learn is at the top (look on how they absorbe GAMES features...). Responsibility is on parents ok, but how you can staty away from world trends??
I think RPi is a good inititive and should be supported in this sense.
I would like to know from italian members of the forum if they have some ideas on how to promote and incentivate RPi adoption in our country by charity, in the public schools or elsewhere. Attention should be put on creating technology, rather than only using it.
I hope that RPi will help this change.
Ciao Marco
Marco
by tsdadam » Mon May 21, 2012 1:03 pm
Hi all, just dropping in here to say hello. I'm 30ish and from Cornwall, UK. I've joined here as I was lucky enough to get included on the latest round of invites to order a rPi. I'm keen to get stuck in and using it for various projects and some programming, I can't wait :)
by jack3d » Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 pm
Hey im jack, thanks to everyone for the info all looks great so far!
by IT_Sean » Mon May 21, 2012 4:50 pm
This is long overdue, so, here goes...

My name is Sean, and i've been following the RaspberryPi project since the USB thumbdrive sized protoype was intorduced to the world. I'm 27 years old, Irish, and I am an IT Support Representatve & Internal IT Tech for a small networking appliance manufacturer in the states. I've been anxiousily awaiting the arrivial of the RaspberryPi for quite some time now, and am looking forward to my order slot in the queue coming up so that i can start playing with it, and helping out w/ raspi devlopment.

I also help manage the unofficial RaspberryPi IRC channel (#Raspberrypi on freenode).

Cheers!
-Sean :ugeek:
Unofficial Raspberry Pi IRC channel: #raspberrypi on irc.freenode.net
Come join us for a chat!
by lorisarvendu » Tue May 22, 2012 3:05 pm
Hullo. Dave here from the East Midlands.

IT Support in a University for the past 14 years, and various IT jobs before that. I've just had my email from RS and have ordered my Pi. I basically got bored with Microsoft years ago and just love tinkering with alternate OS's.

I also like it when everything isn't handed to you on a plate (Ubuntu, I'm looking at you), but you have to work at it (getting Linux to run on an Xbox 1 was fun). The Pi looks like it's going to bring back some of the fun and challenge in computing, plus I might see if I can bring my 14-year old son along for the ride (if i can drag him away from his Xbox 360).

:D
by Frog Pi » Tue May 22, 2012 5:32 pm
Greetings,

Having followed the website and forums for some time, this is my first post. I am a fifty something Brit living and working in France and waiting for my recently ordered Raspi to arrive.Once I get my hands on it, I hope to be able to contribute useful input to the forum.
by edyb » Thu May 24, 2012 3:16 am
Hi, I'm Ed from Canada.

Just ordered my RasPi from RA... got the invite code last night, logged in and ordered. I was one of the first to register when the announcement came in Feb, so must have gotten to front of the order queue. Total cost was $35 + shipping = $43.02 US. Not bad. Said it was coming in 3 weeks.

Looking forward to receiving and playing with it. Need to get an SD card configured and ready for it in the meantime. Would like to use it to give Powerpoint presentations. For example, to install OpenOffice and maybe load my powerpoints on a USB stick which I can plug into it as a drive and open them up to present them on an LCD projector. I think I may need a mini wireless mouse/keyboard controller which will let me advance slides. This would be ideal as far as portable presentation power.
by Wanders11 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:31 pm
Hello, all!

I'm Bill, and my 1st RPi is "in the mail." I'm a chemistry prof w/ some old-school computer experience (built 1st computer w/ wire-wrap, taught (Z80) assembly language, build instruments and switched to Red Hat Linux in 2001, but I am a USER, not a coder.)

I have been in on some gestation projects and enjoy the road less taken.

OK, I bought my RPi in the "aftermarket" and paid too much, but if I want to use this in my classroom starting in Sept, I can't afford to wait until Aug - or later - to get my feet wet. It has been difficult to even tell if I am in the cue even though I got email, there was no mention of if I was viewed as a buyer or just an interested party. I wish all good luck and hope to see this develop into a benchmark device in personal computing.

Good luck.

bill
by Cavolo nero » Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm
Hi All,

Im 40 (I wonder how many of us are about that age? ZXSpectrum ftw), I have one kid, a boy of 10, and I work in the IT industry, but ive rarely written code. I hope the Pi will be an educational experience for me and the kid!

First question, yesterday I had notification from Farnell Uk that my Raspberry PI has been shipped - how long to you reckon it'll be before I get my sweaty mitts on it? ;)

I'm hoping as a first project to get Itunes running on it with home sharing, then Ill have a tinker with writing a bit of software and getting my son involved.
by GMT64 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:57 pm
Hello All,

my name is Graham, and my Raspberry Pi arrived in my letter-box yesterday morning! Wahayy, now the fun begins ...

I'm 'over 21' (welllll over 21!); I used to work in IT (25+ years as a programmer on Mainframes), but I've been out of that for about 5 years. I still yearn to go back to IT, but there just doesn't seem to be the right opportunities for me.

Knowing that my RPi was one its way I've been getting together the various bits that I will need - got the SD Card, got the HDMI cable, downloaded the Debian OS to my PC, I've got the USB mouse.
I still need to acquire a suitable USB power supply lead, but I noticed earlier today that the one for my HTC mobile-phone fits the socket okay, so I will plan on using that for now. I will also look into a suitable keyboard, and I still need to get a TV with a HDMI input. But, I'm in no rush to do all this!

I've got a few questions, but I will save them for the relevant areas of the Forum.

Graham.
by Zulu0001 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:29 pm
Hi I'm Andy,

I've been working with computers since I started working at Texas Instruments back in 1972......

My first home computer was the Sinclair ZX81 kit. I ordered it from the back page of Popular Mechanics in early 1980.

I have 150 home computers in my attic, every brand you can think of, but my Sinclair's hold a special place in my home office right next to my virtual racing simulator..

As you can see I have a Sinclair QL, Timex Sinclair 1500, Timex Sinclair 1000 with 16k memory pack and thermal printer and my trusty ZX81 with a modded atari joystick port.

I can't wait to get a Raspberry Pi and a case that has been created on a 3D printer..

Way too cool........
by laurenh » Tue May 29, 2012 2:28 am
Hello, I'm Lauren, a nearly life-long resident of Alaska in the U.S. In a couple more years I'll be 50, so I've lived here long enough to know better, and yet I know no better.

I'm a tinkerer, reader, watcher, and layabout without even a fraction of the time I'd need to indulge half my interests. Occasionally I generate sawdust, metal shavings, and blobs of discarded solder in great quantity. I have a couple of Ardunios lying around, currently between raisons d'être, a couple of cats who lie about with no such concerns, a teenage daughter whose main concern about computers (and properly so, I think) is how she can use them to socialize, and a wife who is at this moment tending to green things, glorying in the first days of our Summer, and wondering why I'm not mowing the lawn.

I'm scheduled to meet my own 'Pi in October of this year; it'll be a race between the shipping box and the first snow.

A friend and fellow Alaskan who has had the privilege of actually meeting Liz and Ebon assures me that they are first-rate folks. I look forward to making the acquaintance of them and the 'Pi community in the months and days ahead.

If I had a motto, it would be: Life, Liberty, and the Oxford Comma.

Salud!
by Baystray » Tue May 29, 2012 2:54 pm
Hello all, I am Joshua. I am a software engineer who's hobby in electronics suffered greatly from college and then marriage to a wife more in tune with music and the medical field and just starting to see the fun and use in my hobby. My Pi will hopefully arrive soon and along with my arduino projects I hope to get my little boy and my nephew into fun as soon as they are able. Until then my plans for the Raspberry Pi are starting simple with media and hopefully installing and/or making a few educational games for them to start off on. I guess I will see what all I can pull off with it when it arrives.
by RetroVortex » Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm
Hey there! I'm RetroVortex. :D

I'm a 21 year old UK Univeristy Student, doing a business management degree.

Though my real passion has always been for technology.
I'm no coder. I just struggle to get my head around things, BUT, I am an avid tinkerer! :D

I've used Windows operating systems all my life, and the Raspberry Pi provided me with a perfect opportunity to expand into new fields of research (and much tinkering! HAHA!).

As a kid of the 90s I didn't have much exposure to PCs, well, the programming kind.
Always an avid gamer though. Pretty much got most of the consoles.
(Snes, Megadrive, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, DS, 3DS, Sega Master System, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy, ect.)

Most of my tinkering is orientated around that.
Definately not many people running around with a 60gb PSP with custom firmware and pre-loaded games in my town, thats for sure! XD
(That has a battery grip AND one of the headphone remotes. Perfect portable media, well, besides the bulk! XD)

Or a fully functional Arcade Machine!

I bought a Caanoo the other year, which has been an excellent little device, and it definately has influenced my interest in Linux.

And when I saw the news feeds about the Raspberry Pi, I just HAD to get one to check it out.

And just yesterday I got one! :D

Already loaded up Debian, Fedora Remix (nightly build), and Raspbmc on it. (Connected up my external 1.5tb drive on it earlier and was watching some films and listening to a few tracks on there :D)

I'm hoping this device will be the thing that makes me finally push into game development.
(always been skirting on the edge. Loads of ideas all over the house, some drawings, even used Game Maker for a while when I was younger, but never quite got down and got serious with it, and I just know I was born to do it. Everything about me is Video Games! :lol: )

But before I get into full swing, I have to learn how to use the damn thing first!
(I'm still struggling to get around the concept of compiling sources and installing software on these operating systems. I think I'll get it eventually... :p)
by Step » Tue May 29, 2012 6:43 pm
Hello everyone, im Stephen or Step.

I'm a 1st/2nd line analyst for a large computer firm doing some onsite bit at the moment. My pi arrived yesterday initally i was going to use it mainly to learn coding/programming. after holding it in my hands ive now got bigger crazier ideas.
My coding skills stop at the moment at basic batch files mainly for automating updates rebuilds and the like so i will be asking may a silly question im afraid :lol:
by flypig » Tue May 29, 2012 10:13 pm
Hi; David here from Liverpool. I received my Raspberry Pi last week and have been enjoying playing with it since. So far it's really living up to expectations.

I work as a university researcher in computing, and am very keen on the idea of ubiquitous computing (especially the prospect of shifting ownership focus from hardware to data). I'm also very excited by the educational potential of the device and the foundation.

However, right now I'm more interested in running 3D software on the device, and have been enjoying recompiling some of my existing C/GTK/OpenGL applications for it (which has turned out to be surprisingly straighforward).

Finally, I also have some history with RISC OS and can't help but smile at the prospect of having it run on the Raspberry Pi.
by Jon_D » Wed May 30, 2012 7:46 am
Hi Guys,

Just took delivery of my new Pi!

Now what to do with my little computer first!!!
Gamer for life, Geek by trade!
Web designer, PPC expert and all round nerd.
by Reider » Thu May 31, 2012 9:49 am
Hi,
I`m Steve, from Warrington in Cheshire, UK. I have had an interest in computers for some 33 years now. No expert, but I can build a computer, a Visual Basic user and wanting to have a go at Python. I have my own Pi now. Got it up and running, sharing it with my other 6-7 computers including a Mac Mini (pre Intel). Got SSH running and VNC, sharing the Raspberry Pi on my main computer and my laptop.

I`m debating starting a Warrington Pi user group, with forum and web site. So if anyone spots this then let me know if you`re interested in it.

Steve
by benedict3578 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Hi, I'm Benedict. I got involved in programming when I was 8, and my dad took down an old BBC Micro. I taught my self .NET, HTML and CSS by the age of 10. I then went on to learn Java... (Look at my signature). I am now 14 and have set up by own business making and selling HTML5 iPhone apps, gaining around £3000 profit per year. I remembered back to the BBC Micro when I heard about the Pi, and decided that I really wanted one! I thought about buying a Beta board, but decided to wait till the full release. I love doing Website design (Idea -> Photoshop -> HTML) and making iPhone apps. You can visit my website and get your own app at www.appdragondev.com. An app I made is at http://appdragondev.com/redirect/sc/ . I like making Security programs, such as 'WinLok'. It's a program I designed to use at school, as we cannot 'lock' the computer. My program places a fullscreen page over the window, and blocks mouse input allowing only keyboard input to unlock the computer.

Yeah, so thats me!
Languages: Java, JavaScript, C#, .NET/VB6, HTML/XHTML, CSS
Computers: iMac, Acer Aspire, Raspberry Pi
My Job: I Make iPhone Apps for People
Website - http://appdragondev.com
Email - benedict@appdragondev.com
App - http://appdragondev.com/redirect/bl/
by nostaticatall » Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 pm
Hi,
I'm Steve from Catforth - a backwater of Preston Lancashire. My Pi arrived this morning from RS! I've been involved with electronics since the early 70s and computers since 1981. Having done quite a bit with Arduino and creating turnkey systems, it will be interesting to see what Raspberry Pi offers here.

Cheers
Steve
by Fuggin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:24 am
Hi...just got my raspi and wanted to introduce myself. Married father of 1 child in Ohio. New to Linux but am trying to link my raspi to my drobo for a media server, so I am learning on the fly.

I am an active IRC member on irc.griefplay.net. I have started an IRC channel #raspberrypi. I am looking for knowledgeable linux and raspberry users to help myself and others. Please join and enjoy! (we are a strange bunch...so please don't hold it against us)

Fuggin
by Matt_Terry » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:46 pm
Hello everyone,
Matt here currently living in Cambridge UK working as an apprentice at BT, I’ve whizzed through some of the posts and it’s exciting to see the variety of techies from all different backgrounds coming together and I can’t believe the talent of some of the young folk on here! Anyway a little about myself… I have a variety of hobbies including DIY audio, programming, web design, graphic design and have a talent in art so a jack of all trades and master of none!

Computers came on the scene at the age of 5 when my brother and I inherited a Commodore 64 off our neighbours; we would constantly call in their house to play computer games on it until they eventually caved in and gave us the damn thing!

Computing wise I’m proficient in Java and I’m starting to dabble with VBA and web based languages. Like a number of people I plan to use the Raspberry Pi as a music server / PC that is highly portable that could plug into a car head unit... I just need to stop giving them away to charity (or not) :P !

Ciao
by jaidank » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:21 pm
Hi,
Aidan here. VMS/Solaris developer who has moved into technical management.
My RPi arrived on Monday but my boot disk did not work until Wednesday (issue with Ubuntu dd).
Great little device. Up and running now using a Dell 22in monitor, doubling as a powered USB hub.

Even managed to use the Dell's USB hub as a psu for the RPi for a while; stopped working :-(
Work (dell) keyboard worked great but home (multimedia) keyboard key bounces terribly (even though plugged into the monitor). Have a wireless Logitech kbd/mouse on order.

Still configuring rather than programming but having fun :-)
by trickierstinky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:24 pm
Well Hi name Matt

And the proud parent of two bouncing Raspi's, but still unsure what to do with them so ideas are welcome.

I'm a iOS Developer by and a enthusiastic geek by night.

and from "sunny" Sheffield UK.
by pilchard » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:23 am
Hi , I'm Rod Watson from Albany Western Australia , Pi's have not arrived here yet (boo) I have a "Expression of Interest " at RS Components , have not heard any more as yet , waiting , waiting.
I am Sixty healthy years young so my first computer was a home built Radio Shack z80 , updated from a 8" Floppy to twin 8" floppies and a massive 5Mb Hard drive and an old Green Screen , what a screamer, that lasted until the Commodores arrived and the rest is history , apart from Laptops and Tablets , I have always assembled my own machines , currently running Windows 7 on an ASUS Z68
with an i5 Intel and 16 G ram Caching SSD and 2 2TB hdds , Ubuntu 12.04 runs on a Gigabyte board with a Dual Core Intel and 4 G ram 1TB hdd , both boxes are KVMed to run two 27" Asus Widescreens.
A couple of Lenovo Laptops look after moving around , I have not been brave enough to put Ubuntu on to my big Lenovo yet , it cost a heap and I'm not rolling in cash so it may have to wait .
I have just purchased a new 19" LCD TV to use solely with the Raspberry project .
Hope you are all enjoying your Pi's , you lucky buggers.