Introduce yourself!

2146 posts   Page 42 of 86   1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 86
by joe wraith » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm
I am a training Electronic engineering/Computer programmer.
I am also a very strong and proud supporter of raspberry pi and also own one.
I started Electronic/Programming about 3 years ago and just cant stop its the one thing i know i will never stop doing.
by Fadein2madness » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm
New here saying hi! Bought my RPi in april, just got it, wokring on making a car computer. Im super in moding cars and such. So here is what I want to install the RPi into.

go for a whole tron theme with my car, and want to install a touch screen with the RPi.
by jehan60188 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:42 pm
Mechanical engineering grad student, checking in.
Going to use my R-Pi for robotics control!
by DarkStarPDX » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm
Hello!

I'm an electronics hobbyist in the heart of the Silicon Forest (just west of Portland, Oregon).

I've been interested in the Raspberry Pi for quite a while (probably over a year) and was finally able to place my order through Element14/Newark. I'm going to be receiving two, one for an XBMC server, and the other for teaching myself programming and for general experimenting.

I've started an Eventbrite page for the Silicon Forest Raspberry Jam which will be a monthly/bi-weekly/whenever informal gathering of Raspberry Pi enthusiasts in the Portland-Metro area. Follow us at @SFRaspberryJam for the latest happenings!
--Chris ^_^
by tnoskilz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm
Hi,
I finally received my pre-ordered Pi last weekend. I grabbed it to generally tinker with and have no set goals in mind yet. So far have dropped raspbian on it and worked on tweaking Quake 3 performance. Last night I cut out a cardboard case after realizing I didn't have enough lego blocks handy. Some more elegant case designs and tinkering is in the works...

-Jeremy
by numeral » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 pm
I'm a geek. I've had my pi for a week or two. Well pleased. I bought a new USB kbd for £2.49(!), a Xenta Black Full Size Keyboard - USB UK Layout. It caused a kernel panic with Squeezy although it works OK on other systems. I found I had another USB kbd any way and used that.

Newbie question. Can the pi be booted from a USB stick as a live disk? This might save getting a SD writer because I could use, say, archlinux to partition the SD and upgrade the OS (now Raspian).

Also, why is the swap partition commented in /etc/fstab in Squeezy?
by xr4y » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 pm
Hi everyone, I finally recieved mine yesterday and I'm very happy with this little device.

I am a Arch Linux user (home/work) hooked on GNU/Linux, bash and the urge to learn more. Learning C is my next goal!
by ratbag » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 am
Hi, Rob here, recipient of a Pi yesterday, along with a nice green Pi Crust case.

I'm the chief technologist at a small Swiss proprietary fund, looking after servers running Linux (Debian back to lenny, Centos, Scientific Linux), Solaris, ESXi, MacOS and Windows (one miserable server, needed for the gateway to a German market). I also write software in Ruby and C++ to administer the company and access pricing and trade information in real time. And in my spare time I look after the networks. Before this post, I did 17 years' hard labour for the University of Greenwich, latterly as systems manager.

I got my start in computing with the ZX80 and ZX81 all those years ago and grew up with Spectrums and BBC computers (B, Master, Acorn Archimedes). The Pi has awoken a long-dormant hobbyist side to my nature.

I've no idea what I'm going to do with the little thing yet, but I know it's going to be fun. So far I've put wheezy on it, apt-getted a proper build of git and vim and cloned my vimrc and plugins, and installed RVM along with Ruby 1.9.3 (overnight compiles, that takes me back :-) ) Ready to rock and roll...
by bytehead » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:49 pm
lol! great introductions...I AM CANADIAN (he said proudly whilst sipping maple syrup) and have greatly enjoyed fixing a wide variety of windows, mac and linux boxes until they're broken. And now that I've discovered virtualization, well let's just say there's no end to the things I can fix/break/restore snapshot!

I am here to learn. I am here to have fun. I am here to kill time at least until Mi Pi aRRIve.

Greetings from the Great White North, Eastern Division!
by CM2Weather.co.uk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 am
Hello,

Complete noob here.
Never really experimented that much outside of Windows....

Have managed to install Apache, XBMC, and Quake 3, after alot of late nights...

Now the fun starts, finding out what it all does, had a few problems to start off with, but found this was caused by using a Mobile Charger that wasn't supplying enough amps.
Now using a BlackBerry one, which is slightly better, but could still do with a bit more power.

So, hello to everyone one from me, and hope your all having fun...
Steve
CM2Weather.co.uk
by joshm » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:41 am
Hi!

I'm Josh, and am currently a student in the UK.
Received my Raspberry pi this week and have another on the way.

I have a couple of ideas for them including running XBMC and setting up a NAS device, but also plan on tinkering and learning some new things :)
by willpowell8 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:57 pm
Hi, I am Will and I am interested in programming, augmented reality, wearable computers and new technology. I have been working on a variety of projects my latest area has been inspired by project glass by google. Here is a video of what came out and I am just finishing a video of a concept in glasses running on the raspberry pi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wOKBMA ... ture=g-upl
by BadBoyBubby » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm
Hi

I am pc tech support from the uk still waiting for my first pi :cry: to be delivered.

Planning on using pi's for several things media player / web server and maybe even some programming :o

Trying to get my son programming on it also challenged him to re-create a game I wrote originally on the commodore 64 and then again on pc. Hopefully this will get him interested.
by rasbeer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 am
willpowell8 wrote:Hi, I am Will and I am interested in programming, augmented reality, wearable computers and new technology. I have been working on a variety of projects my latest area has been inspired by project glass by google. Here is a video of what came out and I am just finishing a video of a concept in glasses running on the raspberry pi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wOKBMA ... ture=g-upl

Congratulations Will - that's an amazing piece of tech, & you're covered by lilliputing here.

Why it isn't on the front page here I really don't know...
by Kreego » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:07 am
My name is Christian. I'm a (recently terminated) webmaster in Paris.

My first experiences with programing came from high school, when I learned LOGO and some BASIC on an Apple +.

When I went off to university (college, in the United States) my parents sent along a brand-new IBM PC (two 5 1/4 diskette drives, green monochome monitor!), since the entering students were all required to have either a PC or a Macintosh as they began their studies, in 1984. I therefore got fairly proficient with MS-DOS and batch files.

I never quite mastered a programming language, but became fairly proficient with macros and spreadsheets. In the early 90s I extensively used Compuserve, so that with the rise of Internet, I was an early adopter, right as I moved to Paris to continue my studies. I learned HTML at a stage when web sites were built in text editors, which qualified me as one of France's first webmasters in 1998, a job that I have since exercised at several companies, gradually moving away from web site management to content management, social media and SEO. But I digress...

The tinkering itch never quite disappeared, and frankly flared dramatically when my son showed interest in programming and hardware. Getting involved with the Raspberry Pi therefore is a return to subjects not covered in my earlier years, and a chance to develop my son's interest in everything from networking, programming, hacking/modding, etc. I'm as yet unfamiliar with Linux, having so far installed Ubuntu on an old dual-boot PC, just for fun, which at least showed me that I'd be spending some time actually learning to use this OS at a command-line level, a heady return to the 1980s and DOS, which I loved.... This means I "sort of get" the spirit of Linux, but haven't really immersed myself yet, so this is as much about learning for myself as for my son!

I'm also en ex-future pro photographer, ex-roadbike racer, geocacher, barefoot runner (President of the French section of the Barefoot Runners Society) and all-around geek.

A bientôt !

Christian
by bytehead » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 pm

now I'll I gotta do is wait fer sumthin' to stick it into...
by twocvbloke » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 am
Hi, I'm twocvbloke, I used to build & repair computers for a living, and still tinker with them at home now and then, before I had to stop working due to a condition I have which causes excessive sleeping and rather messed up sleeping patterns. I never really got into the programming side as me and software never agree with anything we do... :lol:

Anyway, I grew up just after they stopped teaching proper computing in schools, we still used old BBCs and their Acorn successors to do things like word processing and drawing, but never really anything "In depth" with what makes the programs work, and as the Winders PC took over from the Acorns and their RiscOS, we ended up only learning how to type out a CV in Word, how to put together a Spreadsheet in Excel and how to make a presentation with Powerpoint, presumably they expected us all to end up working in some dreary office as admin staff or something!!!

Most of the computing stuff I learned was through trial and error at home, things I got told about by friends at school (like how to use Word97 to access the network storage bypassing RM-Connect and play with others' files, naughty I know!!), and once it became easy to access, finding stuff on the internet on how to make DOS do useful things...

As for small computers, well I've always had a fascination about them, the way they're designed to be so small yet perform like a full-sized system (though with limited capabilities of course), my last proper "small" desktop computer was a Mini-ITX system, based on the Via EPIA M10000 board and shoved into the Travla C134 case, a tiny computer for what it was able to do, like playing fairly decent games aswell as brows the internet and whatnot, aswell as an older Via EPIA 5000 which I had planned allsorts for, but never came to fruition, it just acted as a small uncased fileserver for a while, then it stopped working, annoyingly... :roll:

Over the years I've played with various computers, from Sinclairs (ZX81, never could work that one out, ZX Spectrum, and ZX Spectrum 128k +2 which was fun with the tape deck built in), the odd Commodore64 v2, Amiga A500+ and A600s (still have two of the latter), and many DOS-based PCs & laptops of varying shapes and sizes. Most of the PCS I've just used Windows on, I have tried a few different forms of Linux, but, cos of school, Windows is so ingrained on my brain that I found it difficult to switch full-time, and cos a lot of programs and games I use require full windows environments so even WINE couldn't completely move me over... :|

Anyway, enough blithering about me, I bought myself a Raspberry Pi kit on Monday, RS says up to 18 weeks for it to bake in the oven before delivery, so, I'm going to have plenty time to learn bits and pieces about the Pi while I wait!!! :lol:

I don't really have much of a pan for my Pi, so in the interim I'll probably use it for a dull purpose like as a media player for watching my Star Trek and Top Gear videos off my desktop PC and playing them back on a TV, or something along those lines, I'm sure though that I'll learn how to do more with it as I get used to it, after all, it is an educational computer, regardless of who owns it... :mrgreen:
by vpetersson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 pm
wkulesza wrote:Hey R-Pi users and fans!
Now with the help of raspberry, im hoping to create an affordable digital signage platform solution on the go!

That was the exact thing I wanted to do to. Take a look at the solution we've put together. Would love more beta testers:
https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose
Creator of Screenly (ScreenlyApp.com), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
by tsekhar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm
Hi, I am Sekhar and I ordered the Raspberry Pi a couple of weeks ago and am patiently waiting for it to arrive. I have virtually no programming skills and my main goal was to build a low cost media center using XBMC. Hopefully, someone will come up with a Plex player for the Raspberry Pi which I can use to access my media remotely.
by Balthazar54 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:04 pm
I'm tonyb in Seattle. I administered a few SCO Xenix systems back in the 80's, but really have not done much under hood stuff for a long time. I went through some chemo sessions a few years ago to get ready for a marrow transplant, and am finally ready to start exercising my brain again.

I bought my first computer in 1979 for over 2,000 dollars US, according to an online calculator I found, that should be about 6,600 now. It was an Apple ][, 32k ram, 100k floppy, 1mhz cpu, 40 column display on a tv set, and an all uppercase keyboard. And it was amazing.

I got the same feeling when I heard about the Raspberry Pi, which I am not so patiently waiting for. And what other hobby has toys where the prices have dropped so much, and you get so much more!
Question: linux != tanstaafl ?
by bytehead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:27 am
glad ya got that chemo behind ya, Tony! couldn't imagine a wider chasm of amusement...

chemo \____________________________________________________/R-Pi

let's just keep ya on the :arrow: side of that gulf, eh? :mrgreen:
by bytehead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 am
just wonderin'...

1) are posts *always* moderated?

and

2) is there a general natter section to, um, "natter" whilst awaiting delivery of the object of our mutual interest?
by liz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 am
bytehead wrote:just wonderin'...

No, just your first few. It's an anti-spam measure.

bytehead wrote:2) is there a general natter section to, um, "natter" whilst awaiting delivery of the object of our mutual interest?

There certainly is - scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page, and natter to your heart's content in Off Topic!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by gdsmit1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:58 am
Morning folks. I'm Greg and am located in Maryland in the U.S. I don't have a Raspberry Pi yet and am just in the research stage of my buying, so I don't know if I'll get a Pi or not. Although it's cool enough that I think I'll get one.

I like to tinker with Linux and the Pi seems like a perfect toy to do that with. I don't know what the final use for it would be, maybe a media center or a weather station PC. Or I'm also looking at getting a Ham license, so I'm sure I'd be able to figure out a use for controlling radios or whatever.

It's pretty low powered, so I'm wondering if anyone has a Pi set up running off a battery using solar or wind to recharge it.
by bytehead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 pm
liz wrote:
bytehead wrote:just wonderin'...

No, just your first few. It's an anti-spam measure.

bytehead wrote:2) is there a general natter section to, um, "natter" whilst awaiting delivery of the object of our mutual interest?

There certainly is - scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page, and natter to your heart's content in Off Topic!

I saw that Category and thought "well...I *do* wanna natter about this device ultimately" so gave it a miss...but now that you mention it...I can't imagine a more apropos place than "anything but the topic at hand" ;) Thanks Liz...you folks seem to have it all goin' on...most excellent :)