Introduce yourself!

2145 posts   Page 1 of 86   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 86
by liz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 pm
As requested, here's a sticky topic for people to introduce themselves in.

I'm Liz, a RaspberryWife. I'm a freelance writer and editor, and I have a food blog at http://www.gastronomydomine.com. Before I started working as a food writer, I worked in educational publishing in London and in Cambridge. I've contributed to food books for Penguin, Channel 4 and National Geographic, and have edited and written for dozens of educational websites and textbooks. I handle the PR and social media for Raspberry Pi.

I am married to Eben, who had the original idea for Raspi; founded the charity; got the group of trustees together; designed the chip the device runs on and most of its software; and is the person I get to make hoover under my bed.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by abishur » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:26 pm
I'm Matthew. I've gone by abishur online ever since the 90s when AOL was at it's height. I got it from 2nd chronicles I think. The part where it says, the son of, the son of, the son of. I was just sick and tired of having 20 numbers behind my name so I found an obscure name that looked kinda cool and have used it ever since. Odds are if you run into ANYONE named abishur on ANY site that was me too ;)

I program PLCs mainly for water and waste-water plants (In Texas we recycle EVERY bit of water that goes down ANY drain... just think about it for a minute, you'll figure it out). As I'm sure goes for most people on this forum, I learned most my computer abilities through experimentation.

My wife and I love cooking and I look forward to trying some of your recipes!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by ukscone » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:40 pm
i'm a british ex-pat who for his sins in a previous life (i must have been a serial killer or something) is currently in the 20th year of a life sentence of servitude to his wife in the states. i'm hoping for time off for good behaviour when she retires in 5 years.

i've been involved with computers, since i was knee high to a grasshopper too many decades ago. i have a softspot for the tandy model 3 and all z80 based british home micros from the 80s especially the Camputers Lynx and the Grundy NewBrain.

As well as working with computers i've also been a stringer, painter and decorator, barman, waiter, wine waiter, world traveller, chef, chief bottle washer and a zillion other things.

a few other things to know about me are:-

1. I was taught COBOL at college and 3 decades later I am still a grumpy, curmudgeonly old git

2. My favourite word is Judicious/Judiciously

3. I am dyslexic and was taught to read and spell using ITA so any spelling mistake ain't my fault

4. I have an interest in criminolgy and computer crime and have been writing a book about it for many years and one day i'll finish if only people would stop inventing new forms of computer crime so i could actually stop adding chapters

oh and before i forget my name is russell but i'll answer to pretty much anything

and finally before i forget. hint hint to all limeys I love Twiglets and woudl do pretty much anything to get them
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by liz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm
Quote from ukscone on August 3, 2011, 21:40

4. I have an interest in criminolgy and computer crime and have been writing a book about it for many years and one day i'll finish if only people would stop inventing new forms of computer crime so i could actually stop adding chapters

Eben's first monitor had a big POLICE EVIDENCE sticker on it - it was given to him by a school friend who was the first person to be convicted under the Computer Misuse Act in the UK for hacking into…broadly speaking, everything under the sun.
--
by ukscone » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:47 pm
Quote from liz on August 3, 2011, 21:43
Quote from ukscone on August 3, 2011, 21:40

Eben's first monitor had a big POLICE EVIDENCE sticker on it - it was given to him by a school friend who was the first person to be convicted under the Computer Misuse Act in the UK for hacking into…broadly speaking, everything under the sun.

I know a few of those people :) and there is a possibility I was one of them although if i was i would imagine i would have ceased such activities prior to that act being passed not that i am say i was or anything :)

I had a few things along those lines given to me by various journo friends on trade papers and the grauniad :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lerc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:03 pm
Hi, I'm Neil Graham, Usually Lerc online. I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand.

I'm an indie gamedev, with some of my games at http://screamingduck.com/

I have quite an interest in educational things. I have an OLPC XO and spent quite some time trying to see how much I could get out of the little beast. This is a video of some of the things I worked on with the XO.
[embed][/embed]
You'll note in that video, I check the memory usage and it reports 130,876k used, so it's already beyond Model A levels, On the other hand it also has Firefox running, which is where most of the memory goes.

I have been experimenting with conceptually separated desktops, It that video I had Bits,Create,Manage,Browse. Since then I have refined things on my Daughter's (seven years old) computer to have Browse,Create,Manage,Play. Having things like this means she uses multiple desktops quite happily without even thinking about the notion.

I am also prone to esoteric experiments,
http://fingswotidun.com/notano.....oadup.html (works best under chrome)

Attempting image compression to crazy proportions,
http://people.sugarlabs.org/~lerc/ (this only renders correctly under Opera, Go figure :-)

And I'm a regular entrant in the Ludum Dare 48 Hour game competition,
What kind of game can you make in 48 hours? Here are some of mine.
http://screamingduck.com/Cruft.....alaka.html
http://screamingduck.com/Lerc/LD13.html
http://screamingduck.com/Lerc/LD14.html
http://fingswotidun.com/Ludum20/
by AmyS3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:03 pm
Hi i´m gerrit.
online im only known as AmyS3 but i also respond to amy in reallife.
given the fact that im male it can be a bit confusing sometimes.
this is my first and only nickname i will keep until the end.
if you make a query on google with my nickname, than almost all you get is me :-)

the first time i went online i was aged 8 which is now quite some time since i turned 30 last friday.
i can still remember the compuserve logo and the beeping noise from the analog modem :-)
since that time i´ve been hooked to computers and the corresponding technology.

today im pretty much into programming and electronics.
i´ve programmed some customer management systems for mobile phone providers back in germany as freelancer programmer and coded their websites as well.
i´m known to programm heavyly complex php functions for which i always forget how they work after a while so i´m doomed to reprogramm them when i need them again :-)
maybe i should make an alzheimer check at my surgery..

apart from that i love to code "normal" windows based applications with delphi c++.
some of you will think "delphi is not programming its drag and drop.." but i love it and can be quite powerfull if used or rather abused ;-) so im hoping that i can get it working for arm too so i can use it for the raspi. even if it runs linux because with the basic wine, all my programms where running on linux as well.

some other of my hobbys are robotics, rc aircrafts and of course mcu´s.
i have a nice selection of powerfull mcu´s and processors from freescale and some dev-boards as well wich are sometimes quite expensive.

some other parts of my life where spend in the german army and as a notebook hardware supporter for dell.
i worked as a engineer for a cable tv company and tried to start a computer support hotline which was not very successful.

now im living in england since september last year and worked as a waiter and in warehouses until now.
but i hope to find a better job when my english language skills are more mature.

well that was the bigges chunk of personal information about myself i ever posted in the net...
cheers
by abishur » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:12 pm
Quote from AmyS3 on August 4, 2011, 14:03

i can still remember the compuserve logo and the beeping noise from the analog modem :-)

I actually have that analog modem sound as a ringtone (I had to make it) I use it to identify my tech savvy friends.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by ukscone » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 pm
Quote from AmyS3 on August 4, 2011, 14:03

some other parts of my life where spend in the german army

what part of Germany? I used to spend my summers in the mid 80s to 91 travelling around europe and visiting friends in Bochum (RUB) , Gelsenkirchen, Hamburg and Hanover.

my german language skills are very rusty but i can still order a beer and pizza as long as the amounts are under 10 and I can still swear in germany pretty well too
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by AmyS3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:47 pm
hehe... swearing is the first you learn when you discover a new language :-)
i´m from berlin(west) but my mom comes from hannover.
i spend some time as kid in south germany as well. maybe ulm or geislingen rings a bell.

@ abishur: when i was young i could almost connect to the internet by making the modem beebs with my mouth XD
by ukscone » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Quote from AmyS3 on August 4, 2011, 14:47
hehe... swearing is the first you learn when you discover a new language :-)
i´m from berlin(west) but my mom comes from hannover.
i spend some time as kid in south germany as well. maybe ulm or geislingen rings a bell.

ah I went to berlin to visit friends a few times before the wall came down than for 2 weeks in the east and surrounding areas after.

It's a pity they changed the size of 5 pence pieces in the uk in the late 80s as they were great as DM in German vending machines for cheap items :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by liz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:03 pm
Eben was in Berlin on a family holiday shortly after the wall came down (I think he was about 12). A guy was hacking bits off it with a pickaxe, and gave Eben and his sister pieces. Eben's bit of it's on my desk as I type this!
--
by AmyS3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:11 pm
i was there while they opened the gates from the wall but i picked bits off it while it was still closed territory. but i lived very close to the wall. i could look on the other side from my balcony.
btw. when the raspi is done, maybe i could jump over to get it in person since im living close to you guys? saves the p&p
by liz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:13 pm
I'm thinking about a little informal get-together for board members in Cambridge after launch - watch this space!
--
by AmyS3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:32 pm
ahh.. can´t wait <(^-^)>
by L_J_S_23 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 pm
Hi everyone.
I'm Lindsay, and live in London. I work for a health charity in the heady world of Database Marketing and so have a fairly healthy obsession with SQL.
I recently became a father for the first time and so have been adopting a range of 'dad-style' behaviours such as drinking real ale, losing my hair and considering taking up golf.
I'm here because I'm fascinated by the RasPi, and it's potential for teaching people (me included) more about programming and how computers work.
It's really cool to see this forum growing and developing as well. Great job admins!
by Des_Zac » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:04 pm
Hey, I'm Zach. I'm 14 and aspire to be a hardware, game, graphic designer. Maybe a musician. And maybe a detective Manga writer. (I love Case Closed/Detective Conan!) I just fixed an iBook that had a back-light problem. I AM OBSESSED WITH MACS. I made up Raspberry Pi, take a byte!
I have an ipod touch 2nd gen with a screen problem and I want to get an iPhone 3gs to replace it. I want R-Pi to start learning about programming, hardware design, and some other stuff. I also want to use it so I can bring my computer with me to my friends house!

I know that was kinda babble-y but what introduction isn't?
by liz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:08 pm
Dez_Zach - can you drop me an email at liz@raspberrypi.org letting me know what your real name is? I want to make sure we give you credit for coming up with the awesome strapline.
--
by Svartalf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:19 pm
Well, I guess I ought to introduce myself...

Real name is Frank Earl. I've been doing Linux development personally and professionally for over the last 15 years.

Through that history, I've been party to at least a handful of firsts. I was one of the first people to be bold enough to do Embedded Linux in a commercial, mission-critical setting. I was one of the bunch that worked on Utah-GLX, the first 3D acceleration framework for Linux, which included people like John Carmack of iD Software fame as developers.

Right now, I work on Linux Systems Engineering, doing things ranging from basic device drivers to full-on custom distributions on contract for clients. I also port games to Linux on the side- and I had the distinct honor of having helped the Humble Indie Bundle #2 come out.

Hard to imagine that this all started with one of Sir Clive's trial balloon ZX80 kits he sold in the States, isn't it? :-D
by eggn1n3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 pm
@Liz, just out of curiosity; when the Raspberry Pi was introduced a few months ago, it was presented a bit as David Brabens project. But you just mentioned it's actual Eben's? What's Davis part here exactly then?
by liz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:51 pm
David was one of the people Eben brought the original idea to, along with the other trustees and a few others who aren't trustees. He's helped us develop the educational focus behind it, has been absolutely instrumental in getting us press coverage and eyeballs at conferences and so on (he is a king of networking), and seems to be spending his every waking minute doing interviews about it and pointing people at the project at the moment! Everyone on the board of trustees has a bit of "ownership" of the project; they all bring something to RP (Pete: actually making the hardware; David and Eben: see above; Jack: the business end of things; Rob and Alan: more educational stuff) that the others can't.
--
by eggn1n3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:05 pm
Ok, thanks for your explanation. Btw, don't forget yourself in this list of these amazing people ;-)
by liz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:31 pm
I blush with gratitude. 8O

(Edit - actually, that emoticon looks a lot more like someone's just poked it hard somewhere unmentionable than as if it's blushing. Still, you get the general idea.)
--
by magnitux » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 pm
Hi everyone I am magnitux (a big fan of linux and its console) I discovered by accident in rp surf the web when I saw the price I cried (yes someone successful) .
I think making a small computer based on a tablet arm android low cost made in china that is to make handmade in Africa with old smartphone.
I'm 14 and I am French for more than three months I dream to meet the geniuses who have had the idea to create a device that computer revolution and I find you very nice.
You are the pioneers in humanitarian-computing and also a model for me (I wanted to develop a product much like raspberry ft but I'm too young to contact the manufacturers of chip and ties and I silicon not all knowledge required thank you for what you do, you give hope to the geniuses of the Third World to have material for their experience).
thank you Raspberry Pi
a fan
by danielu » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:15 am
Hello, I am Daniel, i'm 16 and i'm Argentinian. When i was 8 i started to program with visual basic, later i wanted to be a hacker (?), i used to go to cybercafes and search information, never used it but i read a lot of things about hacking. Later i met the electronic world (always i've been inspired by magazines because i hadn't internet in home) i built a VUmeter, then a battery checker, and some other easy projects. Four years ago, my second life on internet was born. I started to navigate in computer's forums, then in audio forums and now in robotics and programming forums. Two years ago I started to build amplifiers, speaker cabinets, crossovers, modifying amplifiers and simulating audio circuits. Last year I wanted to do something new, i set me as a goal, to devolop a robot controller only using logic gates.

and there is the result
http://k.min.us/jlFV2C.jpg

[embed][/embed]

Now i'm working on a development robot platform easy to build and program that will allow students from high school level to get involved in Robotics.