RasPi final price / pre-orders possibility

10 posts
by aszu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 am
Hello,

First of all, many thanks for all your hard work! This is really amazing project which has got a potential to be a game changer in terms of children education platforms/embedded solutions. I hope Raspberry Pi becomes de facto standard for development board and will receive huge amount of support from the developers around the world.

Just a couple of quick questions (could not find answers in FAQ):

1. I am wondering, what exactly the final price for the Raspberry Pi (first batch) will be. I know the price for B model is 35$, but as far as I understand this excludes any taxes / shipping costs. Currently 35$ is about £22, with 20% VAT and around £2 for Royal Mail shipping (to UK; sounds like a realistic shipping cost if RasPi comes in a small box in an envelope), the final price should be around £28.5 - is this a reasonable calculation?

2. I expect first batch to be gone within less than an hour (if the servers can handle the load). I strongly believe there is a place for 1 million+ RasPi devices on the market (especially after advertising XBMC / media capabilities), not including demand in the third world countries.

I understand you don't want to take our moneys at this point as there is still a lot of uncertainties, but if everything goes well with the first orders (supplier process, shipping, board quality, manufacturer reliability), do you consider taking preorders for the next batch? In that way you could get a funding to order much bigger batch (i.e. 100k) - which as far as I understand should make price of the individual board even lower - more surplus for the foundation.
by antiloquax » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 am
I'm starting to worry that I am not going to get one of the first batch. There's been a lot of media attention on the RP and I am sure that the first batch will sell out quickly. But an hour?

Considering that orders will be limited to one per person, this seems a a little unlikely. For instance, there are 9020 members of this forum - should be enough for one each, and some will have drifted away ...

I'm just visiting the site regularly and hoping to get an order in early.

antiloquax
by aszu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:37 am
Once information goes to Engadget/Slashdot ("35$ XBMC device, faster than Tegra 2 on sale NOW!!!"), it is over, I am afraid...

It would also be interesting to know how many people subscribed to the mailing list.
by n3tw0rk5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:44 am
aszu said:

Once information goes to Engadget/Slashdot ("35$ XBMC device, faster than Tegra 2 on sale NOW!!!"), it is over, I am afraid...

It would also be interesting to know how many people subscribed to the mailing list.

The last count I saw was 55000 for the mailing list I think, but that was a few weeks ago so i'd add a few more to that ;-)
by prodata » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:45 am
aszu said:

Sadly I can't remember specifically whether I'm subscribed or not! I'm pretty sure I did subscribe a few weeks back but can't recall ever having received a single list email. Maybe it didn't take for some reason and I need to subscribe again?

Edit: Ah, glad to see that the mailer is cleverer than might have been the case. Just tried to resubscribe only to be told that I had already subscribed! :-)
by mateli » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:56 am
prodata said:

aszu said:

Sadly I can"t remember specifically whether I"m subscribed or not! I"m pretty sure I did subscribe a few weeks back but can"t recall ever having received a single list email. Maybe it didn"t take for some reason and I need to subscribe again?

Edit: Ah, glad to see that the mailer is cleverer than might have been the case. Just tried to resubscribe only to be told that I had already subscribed! :-)

The computers are finally ready to replace you!
by parsl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am
n3tw0rk5 said:

aszu said:

The last count I saw was 55000 for the mailing list I think, but that was a few weeks ago so i'd add a few more to that ;-)

15000 followers on twitter
by jamesh » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 pm
70k people on mailing list, 9k on forum. 15k on twitter.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by beren » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm
JamesH said:

Does anyone knows how many units are in the first batch?
by vesku » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 pm
beren said:

JamesH said:

Does anyone knows how many units are in the first batch?