OpenELEC & Samba

2 posts
by Nodge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm
I have OpenELEC xbmc running on my pi. My media is stored on an external drive connected to the usb port. Basically I want this drive to act as a NAS drive so that my windows pcs on the network can also access the files on the drive. A bit of delving indicated this is done using Samba. From within xbmc I can go to Programs/OpenELEC/Settings and there is a tab for Samba and I can see that the option to start Samba at boot is enabled. This obviously is not enough as I can't see the drive on the network. A bit more delving and using WinSCP I have found smb.conf under etc/samba. When I look at smb.conf I can see that under Global the name of the workgroup is still showing WORKGROUP even though I changed it in xbmc/settings/services/smb client to my windows workgroup name. I opened the smb.conf file in winSCP and renamed the workgroup but when I try and save it I just get an error message saying "Cannot overwrite etc/samba/smb.conf". I've also tried deleting smb.conf with winSCP but I just get a server error again.

Being a complete novice I'm now a bit stuck. Am I on the right track? Why can't I edit the smb.conf file? Is it because xbmc is still running?

Any help much appreciated.

John
by Nodge » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 pm
With some help from a friend it seems I was looking in the wrong place. It's not under /etc but under /config. The end result is I now have xbmc showing in my network but it appears as a media centre. Is there a way to get it to appear as a location that I can explore with windows explorer to access the files on the hard drive?