flashplayer

11 posts
by jerrylamos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:05 pm
Today's RasPi News shows a black box saying the Adobe flashplayer is needed.
This is the Debian 07-15 image from RasPi using Midori.
How do I install flashplayer for the browser provided by RasPi so I can view the News from RasPi?
Some forum recommended putting in a /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so and I did that, no effect.
Shuldn't the RasPi image provided by RasPi display what's in the RasPi News forum?
Thanks for any suggestions

Jerry
by ghans » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:08 pm
There is no way to make flash work on the Pi.
Easiest way would be using gnash , which is supposedly outdated , so slow that it crawls backwards and buggy.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by redhawk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:10 pm
There's no official flash player support for ARMv6 only third party tools like VLC or XBMC.
Also "libflashplayer.so" wouldn't work since this is an Intel binary not ARM binary file.

Richard S.
by Jim JKla » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:20 pm
Welcome to the Negative Post of the Day. :mrgreen:

I did find this with a cursory search.

http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/

The download includes a link to the source code there has to be a way.

It could be time to break out the uber-geeks :ugeek:
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by redhawk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 pm
What we really need is a HTML5 compliant web browser for the PI with the necessary decoder libraries to access the hardware video decoder.
The reality is no such program exists (and I doubt will ever be) which is why if you want to watch YouTube either you use XBMC or a laptop / computer with Flash installed.
As for the interactive aspects of Flash i.e. games I've seen this implemented in Android so I'm sure there exist apps for Linux I just haven't bothered looking yet.

Richard S.
by ghans » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:22 pm
@Jim JKla

Thats the popular jwplayer . A video player CODED IN FLASH. Not a flash player (shouldnt it be VM now ?) .

@redhawk
I'm really astonished that OpenMAX seems to be a headache for people to work with.
But else , i don't know why you couldn't use it to play HTML5 h.264 videos.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by jamesh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:44 pm
ghans wrote:@Jim JKla

Thats the popular jwplayer . A video player CODED IN FLASH. Not a flash player (shouldnt it be VM now ?) .

@redhawk
I'm really astonished that OpenMAX seems to be a headache for people to work with.
But else , i don't know why you couldn't use it to play HTML5 h.264 videos.

ghans

OpenMAX certainly is a headache I've programmed using it and it is an unbelievable PITA. I had to get loads of help from some of the experts in it i.e. on the technical committee that defined it. It's a great idea that is unfortunately immensely difficult to use, and even more difficult to debug.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by ghans » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:50 pm
Welcome to the Negative Post of the Day , 2 :(

Thanks jamesh for the input . I hope this is really not as bad as it sounds.

ghans
by jerrylamos » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am
My point with this thread is Raspberry Pi should be posting News content that's actually viewable on RasPi.

If RasPi News feels they must use a format not viewable on the Pi, isn't that a statement about the current state of the Pi?

Now I'm having fun internet browsing with the Pi. I would expect raspberrypi.org to be emphasizing the Pi's strengths. Or could it be that they are asking for someone to step up to the plate?

Now if the goal of the Pi is to be an educational tool, I'd certainly expect some level of video to be supported even if jerky, and featured - or is the current Pi planned to be a stepping stone?

Thanks for the postings everyone.

Jerry
by ghans » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:37 pm
Wait , how does it come that we are discussing statements attributed to the foundation , what purpose the raspberrypi.org website should serve , how a educational goal should be fulfilled through use of multimedia and all that now ?

I thought this was a technical discussion about how and why Flash does not or might do work :D :D

AFAIK , the Foundation sees the Pi as an means to an end , as a "catalyst" . The Pi fulfills the goals of the project to 2% ( okay perhaps more ), so to speak. It is a stepping stone. They have admitted that none of their formal goals have been reached.

And yes , the Foundation is pointing to the community. They rely on it for bugtesting, Raspbian , the mirror system , Distribution porting , the Wiki , OSdev tutorials , user support and for the future X11 , Flash and whatever else.

They have given us the hardware - we give the software.

All of this is to my understanding , i might err , mods - feel free to correct.

ghans
by crazy4chrissi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm
You can play Flash in the browser (iceweasel) on a raspberry pi using Gnash. I successfully did. It's just painfully slow. You can find details on how to install it in my blog post: http://blog.christosoft.de/2012/08/flash-on-the-raspberry-pi/

Nevertheless using HTML5 would be the better way to go for videos on the raspberry pi website (and any other website...) in my opinion.