Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

547 posts   Page 8 of 22   1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22
by Max » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:02 pm
migube wrote:I'm now booted on Raspbian image and wanna upgrade the OpenElec image by copying it over the old one.
but I can't find the /images folder, I searched for *.img128 & others, but can't determine where they 're ;-p
tx

Need to mount the raw storage somewhere first.

Code: Select all
sudo mount LABEL=berryboot /mnt
ls /mnt/images

Copy with "sudo cp SYSTEM /mnt/images/name-of-existing-OpenELEC-image.img128"

If you don't care about keeping your existing settings, you can also copy it to a new file name inside the "images" folder, instead of overwriting the old one.
All images files inside that folder are automatically displayed in the boot menu.
Just make sure the new file name does not have spaces (use _ instead), and ends with ".img128" to indicate it needs the 128 MB memory split.
by llionevans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:01 am
Just wondering if it was possible to change the default OS once one had booted up.

i.e. I'm running my RPi completely remotely, either over ssh or vnc. So rather than having to go connect a keyboard and monitor each time I want to change OS it would be great if I could do something along the lines of

sudo nano /path_to_boot_defaults
change default
sudo reboot

Basically I guess my question is, what's the location of the defaults file and is it accessible from within an OS? If not is there some other trick to achieve this?

Cheers
by Max » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 am
llionevans wrote:Just wondering if it was possible to change the default OS once one had booted up.

See page 5
by teeth_03 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 am
Using berryboot caused me 2 hours of headache trying to figure out why the wireless driver wasnt working like it was supposed to. My wireless chip is rtl8188su, and it was supposed to work out of the box.

Well, switching back to regular Rasbian, it does, so something in beeryboot breaks the wireless driver.
by Max » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:44 am
teeth_03 wrote:Using berryboot caused me 2 hours of headache trying to figure out why the wireless driver wasnt working like it was supposed to. My wireless chip is rtl8188su, and it was supposed to work out of the box.

Well, switching back to regular Rasbian, it does, so something in beeryboot breaks the wireless driver.

Think that chip uses the R8712U module?
Not supported in the official rPi cutdown kernel either ( https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... _defconfig )
Create an issue there, if it should be.
by llionevans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 pm
Max wrote:
llionevans wrote:Just wondering if it was possible to change the default OS once one had booted up.

See page 5

That's great, sorry for the repost. I did search first but didn't come across that.

Ok so I'm kind of new - you say that by doing this I'd have to do memsplit changing manually. What does this mean? What steps would I have to take, or is it something that's not going to affect the average user?
by Max » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 pm
llionevans wrote:Ok so I'm kind of new - you say that by doing this I'd have to do memsplit changing manually. What does this mean? What steps would I have to take, or is it something that's not going to affect the average user?

It only affects you if you plan to boot an operating system that requires that extra memory is allocated to the GPU.
That is the case with media center stuff like OpenELEC.

If you only plan to use your Pi as headless server, it doesn't affect you.
by llionevans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:55 pm
Max wrote:It only affects you if you plan to boot an operating system that requires that extra memory is allocated to the GPU.
That is the case with media center stuff like OpenELEC.

If you only plan to use your Pi as headless server, it doesn't affect you.

Hmm I was going to try and use openelec (using my android phone as a remote and ssh client, so still no need for keyboard)

Any tips then on where I should start reading up on manual memsplit changing?
by Max » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm
llionevans wrote:Any tips then on where I should start reading up on manual memsplit changing?

sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
ls /boot/*.elf

The one currently in use is called start.elf.
This are all available flavors:

arm128_start.elf
arm192_start.elf
arm224_start.elf
arm240_start.elf

The one that is currently in use will be missing from the "ls *.elf" output.
First you must rename it back to its original name.
E.g. if 192 is currently in use, do "sudo mv /boot/start.elf /boot/arm192_start.elf"

Now rename the one you want to use to start.elf
E.g. "sudo mv /boot/arm128_start.elf /boot/start.elf"

That's all.
Might be easier to just hook up a keyboard though than entering SSH commands on a phone...
Be aware that making a typo in the start.elf filename here will render your system unbootable.
by llionevans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 pm
Firstly, thanks for the continued advice. The community developing around the hardware is what's making the RPi such a great thing for people like myself who are learning.

Let me explain a bit of my setup.
I have a RPi connected to my TV and over ethernet to my router (which in turn is also connected by ethernet to a NAS). I mostly want to run the RPi as a VPN server so that I can connect to my network whilst away, which I'll do on wheezy. But when at home I obviously won't need VPN and would like to use it as a media centre accessing music etc. on the NAS (hence OpenELEC).

Max wrote:Might be easier to just hook up a keyboard though than entering SSH commands on a phone...
Be aware that making a typo in the start.elf filename here will render your system unbootable.

Logistically the RPi, router and NAS are kept hidden behind the TV and would be quite a hassle to plug in a keyboard every time I want to switch between OS. The SDcard is 16Gb and I'm not expecting to keep much data at all on there only the OS and any additional files required by software. Could I therefore just up the memsplit to a maximum for both OSs? If I did this, would I only have to do it once or each time I booted up? If so could I just create a .sh file to run at startup?
by Max » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:23 pm
llionevans wrote:I mostly want to run the RPi as a VPN server so that I can connect to my network whilst away, which I'll do on wheezy. But when at home I obviously won't need VPN and would like to use it as a media centre accessing music etc. on the NAS (hence OpenELEC).

If you are fine with your server OS only having 128 MB at its disposal (losing half of the available memory to the GPU):

You can go to the Berryboot OS installer GUI, go to the "properties" of Wheezy and change the memory split to 128 MB there, to match OpenELEC's.
Boot Wheezy or OpenELEC once with a normal keyboard, and the memsplit will be changed to 128 MB by Berryboot and stay that way.
by llionevans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:51 pm
Max wrote:If you are fine with your server OS only having 128 MB at its disposal (losing half of the available memory to the GPU):

You can go to the Berryboot OS installer GUI, go to the "properties" of Wheezy and change the memory split to 128 MB there, to match OpenELEC's.
Boot Wheezy or OpenELEC once with a normal keyboard, and the memsplit will be changed to 128 MB by Berryboot and stay that way.

Ahh ok so it's RAM that I'm changing. Right, thanks again, I will give that a go and see if it has much of an effect on what I'm trying to to on wheezy. If not, I'll use that to save me swapping each time I boot up.

I forgot to mention that the android phone I'll be using (my old SE X10 mini pro) has a full qwerty hard keyboard, so typing isn't really an issue.
by migube » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 am
Max wrote:Need to mount the raw storage somewhere first.
Copy with "sudo cp SYSTEM /mnt/images/name-of-existing-OpenELEC-image.img128"

Tx Max, works ! :)
by llionevans » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 am
Hi Max I'm back again.

Just wondering, I've been trying to get VPN up and running using pptpd on the version of wheezy distributed with berryboot but without success.

It seems that the kernel doesn't have mppe support or ppp compression enabled. Is this something you could add in future versions or is it kept off for a specific reason?

Or have I missed something and they should work?

Cheers
by Max » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:02 am
llionevans wrote:Hi Max I'm back again.

Just wondering, I've been trying to get VPN up and running using pptpd on the version of wheezy distributed with berryboot but without success.

It seems that the kernel doesn't have mppe support or ppp compression enabled. Is this something you could add in future versions or is it kept off for a specific reason?

Or have I missed something and they should work?

Berryboot uses the Raspberry cutdown kernel config as a base because it doesn't have debugging stuff slowing things down. Unfortunately, it also has less modules enabled by default.
If you need special features, you might want to compile your own kernel.

Source is available on github: https://github.com/maxnet/berryboot
Enable the options you need in buildroot-2012.05/kernel-config and rebuild, move output/kernel_berryboot.img to your SD card.
(compilation needs to be done on a normal amd64 Linux computer, and not on the Pi)
by llionevans » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:45 pm
Max wrote:Berryboot uses the Raspberry cutdown kernel config as a base because it doesn't have debugging stuff slowing things down. Unfortunately, it also has less modules enabled by default.
If you need special features, you might want to compile your own kernel.

Source is available on github: https://github.com/maxnet/berryboot
Enable the options you need in buildroot-2012.05/kernel-config and rebuild, move output/kernel_berryboot.img to your SD card.
(compilation needs to be done on a normal amd64 Linux computer, and not on the Pi)

Cheers for the advice. Am currently using berryboot to play about with different OSs as a learning exercise. When I'm feeling brave enough I'll start looking at compiling a kernel myself.

Thanks again.
by Nitrogen_Widget » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm
Hi,
I'm being dense here. LOL!
I've got a few cards i've formated with FAT32 in Gparted.
Copied Berryboot files to SD card & my Pi won't boot.

The cards work fine with other OS's.

What am I missing here?
Thanks.
by ats1080 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:15 pm
I keep getting a message when I boot my Pi: "cannot find my data partition :-("

It seems that my SD card gets corrupted and then Berry Boot will not boot from it any more. If re-do my SD card and boot again and reinstall the operating systems it will work fine for a few days then get corrupted again. I have a card that is listed on the wiki as being supported, its a SanDisk 16GB class 4. Any suggestions?
by Max » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:14 pm
ats1080 wrote:It seems that my SD card gets corrupted and then Berry Boot will not boot from it any more. If re-do my SD card and boot again and reinstall the operating systems it will work fine for a few days then get corrupted again. I have a card that is listed on the wiki as being supported, its a SanDisk 16GB class 4. Any suggestions?

You do power off the operating system properly with "halt" or from within the GUI, instead of just removing the power cable?
Any overlocking settings?
by malakai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:20 pm
Where does Berryboot get the images from? I like it and tried it but wanted the default wheezy but the one on the install wasn't that? Haven't had time to go and add an image myself just curious who where all the choices of images come from.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by Max » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:25 pm
malakai wrote:Where does Berryboot get the images from? I like it and tried it but wanted the default wheezy but the one on the install wasn't that?

It is the same Wheezy, with the difference that the image format has been changed to SquashFS.
by inder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 pm
Have a few non-pressing questions about Berryboot. 1) I guess that the overclocking options available in the 2012/9/18 Raspbian are not supported. Is the usb speedup functional? 2) Running the Pi headless I can enable VNC client at cmdline.text. Is it possible to use Avahi and Raspbeerypi.local in similar fashion? 3) In the bootup of Raspbian, I get the following error messages ; "mount point /squashfs not found" and "resize2fs fail". Anything I need to fix? Thanks.
by Max » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm
inder wrote:Have a few non-pressing questions about Berryboot. 1) I guess that the overclocking options available in the 2012/9/18 Raspbian are not supported. Is the usb speedup functional?

Just need to put them into config.txt manually.
Same way you edited cmdline.txt.

2) Running the Pi headless I can enable VNC client at cmdline.text. Is it possible to use Avahi and Raspbeerypi.local in similar fashion?

No, do not ship avahi.

3) In the bootup of Raspbian, I get the following error messages ; "mount point /squashfs not found" and "resize2fs fail". Anything I need to fix?

Can just ignore those.
You probably tried to "extend the root partition" in raspi-config. No need to do that when using Berryboot, since the filesystem already uses the entire card.
by mattanl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 pm
Can I install it on a card that contains one of the OSs?
I just dont want to install everything again...
by Max » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 pm
mattanl wrote:Can I install it on a card that contains one of the OSs?

Nope