Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

547 posts   Page 5 of 22   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22
by El_Presidente » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:52 pm
Any chance of convergence with some of the later Raspbian Wheezy builds that have been looking to address USB firmware/driver settings? The fixes are getting very positive reviews.

See USB the Elephant in our Room thread, around page 13 and work by Dom - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12097&start=300.

I'm hoping they will be accepted into the main code branch (if they aren't already).

Should have said - kernel 3.2.27 with updates is the one now recommended for USB issues, together with 1 or 2 new cmdline.txt settings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
by Max » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:13 pm
El_Presidente wrote:Any chance of convergence with some of the later Raspbian Wheezy builds that have been looking to address USB firmware/driver settings? The fixes are getting very positive reviews.

The new release is not a tiny standalone USB fix, but bumps Linux to a newer version (3.2.27).

New versions have the potential of introducing new bugs as well.
So going to wait a couple days before shipping that release through Berryboot.
by El_Presidente » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:08 am
Max wrote:So going to wait a couple days before shipping that release through Berryboot.

No problem, the wait will probably be worth it. Should mean I can run my HDD and other USB devices while booting though Berryboot. Well on the way to making the Pi the whole hub of my entertainment life!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
by migube » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Hello

I understood that due to AUFS, we can't upgrade wheezy with Hexxeh's rpi-update.
so probably neither openELEC (e.g. http://openelec.tv/forum/133-installati ... spberry-pi )

Is there then another way to upgrade on our own from the booted OS or will we need to wait for you to add some new OS to the menu?

Tx to confirm my doubts :)

ps: will raspbmc be added?

tx
by Max » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 am
migube wrote:Is there then another way to upgrade on our own from the booted OS or will we need to wait for you to add some new OS to the menu?

Can compile your own kernel if you know what you are doing.
Just make sure you apply the aufs patch, take the existing config from /proc/config.gz and copy the initramfs.

ps: will raspbmc be added?

What are the unique selling points of RaspBMC over OpenELEC?
(we do not support overclocking, so that doesn't count)
by Max » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm
migube wrote:so probably neither openELEC

In the case of OpenELEC simply get the SYSTEM file from the updated files.
Rename that to OpenELEC.img128, put it on an USB stick, and add it to Berryboot.
It already has the right SquashFS image format.
by alias_neo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 pm
Has anybody got a way of enabling SSH on OpenELEC while using this?

According to the OpenELEC wiki it requires "ssh" in the cmdline.txt, but it would appear that berry boot starts it in such a way that it doesn't read this file.
http://2byt.es - Just my two bytes - RPi - Android - Arduino - Blog
by Max » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm
alias_neo wrote:Has anybody got a way of enabling SSH on OpenELEC while using this?

According to the OpenELEC wiki it requires "ssh" in the cmdline.txt, but it would appear that berry boot starts it in such a way that it doesn't read this file.

Try going to the Berryboot rescue shell by selecting "cancel" in Berryboot boot menu.
Then type:

Code: Select all
touch /mnt/data/OpenELEC_r11659/storage/.config/ssh_enable
umount -ar
sync
<press ctrl-alt-del> and try OpenELEC again.

(assuming your OpenELEC menu entry is called "OpenELEC r11659")
by RichShumaker » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:58 pm
I would love a LAMP pre-built for BerryBoot
Any ability to add LAMPi to the list?
I am manually setting it up now but having it in BerryBoot would be awesome
Linux
Apache
MySQL
PHP

Thanks again for the awesome software
Rich Shumaker
by Max » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:09 pm
Changelog Berryboot 2012-08-25

• Updated Linux kernel to v3.2.27
  • For new installations: now supports wifi

If you want to use wifi, simply choose "wifi" under the heading "network connection" in the welcome screen, select your network out of the list and enter your WPA key.
    Be aware that the Wifi settings you enter are only used by Berryboot for downloading images. You will have to configure the network settings inside the individual Linux distributions separately.
  • Now includes the mceusb media center remote module by default.
  • Now includes the newer alternative RTL8188CUS module by Realtek instead of the one that comes with the main kernel (untested, as I do not have a device which uses this module)

Existing users can upgrade by selecting "operating system installer" in the boot menu and pressing the "Add OS" button.
by Max » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 pm
RichShumaker wrote:I would love a LAMP pre-built for BerryBoot
Any ability to add LAMPi to the list?
I am manually setting it up now but having it in BerryBoot would be awesome
Linux
Apache
MySQL
PHP

Do not plan to add a LAMP distribution, as I feel both Apache and MySQL are too heavy weight.
May add a simple 5 MB Lighttpd + PHP + SQLITE distribution later though.
by windhero » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:24 pm
I made XBian0.6.2 into SquashFS format, so it can be used with BerryBoot. The file can be downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/vygem14aa81yo ... squash.img and you just plug it into an USB flash drive and select "Install from USB" in the program installer.

It's basically just like OpenELEC, but overclocked from arm_freq=700 , core_freq=250 to arm_freq=840 , core_freq=375. Works a lot smoother imo, and plays heavier files than OpenELEC.
by Max » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:49 am
Be aware that when started through Berryboot there will not be any overclocking by default.
Overclock setting have to be stored in config.txt on the boot partition, and cannot be embedded inside the squashfs file.

Still interesting testcase to see if there is any difference in performance between media center distributions when all run at stock frequency.
by migube » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:10 am
Max wrote:
migube wrote:so probably neither openELEC

In the case of OpenELEC simply get the SYSTEM file from the updated files.
Rename that to OpenELEC.img128, put it on an USB stick, and add it to Berryboot.
It already has the right SquashFS image format.

Tw will try ! :)
We should have all OS's in squashFS ready, much easier :)
by mp3ireland2 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm
Max wrote:Be aware that when started through Berryboot there will not be any overclocking by default.
Overclock setting have to be stored in config.txt on the boot partition, and cannot be embedded inside the squashfs file.

Still interesting testcase to see if there is any difference in performance between media center distributions when all run at stock frequency.

When you change the config.txt does that mean all OS's will use those overclocked values?
by Max » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm
mp3ireland2 wrote:When you change the config.txt does that mean all OS's will use those overclocked values?

Correct.
by battletux » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm
Any chance CEC support can be added for the installer/boot menu at all? Would make it simpler when booting on a TV to launch openelec/other xbmc distro?
http://about.me/andy_mc
by JeremyF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm
battletux wrote:Any chance CEC support can be added for the installer/boot menu at all? Would make it simpler when booting on a TV to launch openelec/other xbmc distro?

This sounds like a really good idea. (using CEC enabled TV remote as up/down arrow for selecting OS)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by Max » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:51 pm
Do not plan to support to support CEC, as that would create an undesirable dependency on the Broadcom /opt/vc/lib userspace libraries.

Would make it simpler when booting on a TV to launch openelec/other xbmc distro?

Simpy make OpenELEC the default distribution in the menu editor.
by kavi96 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 pm
Is it possible to choose an operating system without a keyboard attached, over ssh?
by Max » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 pm
kavi96 wrote:Is it possible to choose an operating system without a keyboard attached, over ssh?

Berryboot itself doesn't include a SSH daemon.
But if your default operating system has SSH enabled, you can use that.

• Login to SSH
  • Mount raw storage: mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt
  • Check what the full file name of the operating you would like to run is: ls /mnt/images
  • echo "filename_of_operating_system.img192" > /mnt/data/runonce
  • reboot

(you will have to do any memsplit changing manually, if you use runonce)
by troombatzia » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:51 pm
Hello.

First, thanks for the tool. Then, I hope one day I'll use it. While waitng for the Raspy board, I've a question. In the installer menu files sizes are reported. I would like to know if squashfs images must be uncompressed before coping to SD card. If I want to install Raspian, OpenLec and Puppy, how much SD space will I need? Fondamentally, I would like to know if the OS reported file size is tha same required space on SD card.

Thanks. Kind regards.
by Max » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:03 pm
troombatzia wrote:First, thanks for the tool. Then, I hope one day I'll use it. While waitng for the Raspy board, I've a question. In the installer menu files sizes are reported. I would like to know if squashfs images must be uncompressed before coping to SD card. If I want to install Raspian, OpenLec and Puppy, how much SD space will I need? Fondamentally, I would like to know if the OS reported file size is tha same required space on SD card.

Images are stored as-is in compressed format on the SD card.
So reported file size equals space required.
(well almost. 64 MB is reserved for the first partition containing the firmware and kernel files, and 10 MB on the second partition. So need 74 MB extra).
Last edited by Max on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
by troombatzia » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:16 pm
Max wrote:Images are stored as-is in compressed format on the SD card.
So reported file size equals space required.
(well almost. 64 MB is reserved for the first partition containing the firmware and kernel files, and 10 MB on the second partition. So need 74 MB extra).

Thanks for answer. I suppose that after installing few OSes, I will be able to setup a 'extra' partition to store data as I can do in normal linux distros. Does BerryBoot reserves automatically not used SD space to create a data partition or to save data?

Let's say: I install Raspian on 8 Gb sd card. The remaining space is ~ 7.5 GB. I boot Raspian, I then download a 1 GB file. Where that file is stored on SD? Where that file goes if I then install another OS? Thanks.
by Max » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:23 pm
troombatzia wrote:Let's say: I install Raspian on 8 Gb sd card. The remaining space is ~ 7.5 GB. I boot Raspian, I then download a 1 GB file. Where that file is stored on SD? Where that file goes if I then install another OS? Thanks.

All the files of all operating systems end up in the same data partition.
So all operating systems can use the full amount of free space, and you do not need to mess with additional partitions.

mmcblk0p1 - FAT partition with the Raspberry firmware.
mmcblk0p2 - ext4 with everything else.

/images - the original read-only SquashFS operating system images you downloaded.
/data - changes you make to the file system end up here, one folder for each operating system, e.g.:
/data/name_of_operating_system
/data/another_operating_system