port X disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...

6 posts
by kermitas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 pm
Hello,

for a past 7 days I am fighting with:

Code: Select all
 hub 1-0:1.0: port 1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...

:cry: :cry:

I have a Microsoft LifeCam Cinema. It works from about 1 minute to 4 hours and then I it randomly disconnects. I tryed soft usb hub restart usb_modeswitch -v 0424 -p ec00 -R -W but nothing helps. Camera disappear on lsusb list (after that there is no /dev/video0 any more). To make it work again I have to manually unplug and plug USB again.

I checked and replaced everything 1000 times (r-pi, cabel, power, usb hub, sd car, Debian Wheezy, F17, libjpeg62, 7 and 8, I have also compiled my own 'motion', I did rmmod uvcvideo && modprobe uvcvideo, I have used quirks=128 FIX_BANDWIDTH as it is mentioned here http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/) and scenario is always the same!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am using 'motion' to motion detection digging a little security system for my home.

Gues what? Camera works fine with my laptop :evil: .

I also have second webcam: Logitech C270. This webcam works with r-pi+motion for many many days without a problem.

Microsoft LifeCam Cinema has 1.5m long cable without EMI noise cylinder (there is no anything like that http://www.sourcingmap.com/emi-noise-suppressor-cylinder-clampon-ferrite-bead-core-ring-for-data-usb-cable-p-26796.html).

Does anybody know what I can do with his bug?
How can I do to tell usb hub not to disconnect my camera?
Can it be really some electromagnetic interference??

I am desperate, what can I do? Where to look?

Thank you very much,
Arthur.
by kermitas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am
Today I did some tests.

I am starting to be shure that by putting cell phone (with active phone call) near r-pi you can:
- disconnect Microsoft LifeCam Cinema usb webcam (sometimes it will back shortly, sometimes it newer returns - I have to manually unplug and plug it again)
- stop network transmission for a while (ethernet is related with usb so it also stops 'motion' from capturing new frames, after few seconds network transmission - for example ping, ssh - back)
- completely hang r-pi

I also tryed to put drill near webcam or usb cabel and sometimes it disconnects.

I used also walkie-talkie. It stops network trnasmission for a few seconds but did not disconnect webcam (once it hanged r-pi).

I don't want to say that all my problems with disconnecting webcam was electromagnetic interference. I need more tests. My camera semms to work longer at night and disappear more frequently during the day (once again, is it EMI?). Now I had put r-pi into metal box and will see how long it will work with webcam.

My second problem with LifeCam (jumping horizontal linest) I described here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12304.

If anybody had a problem with "port X disabled by hub" please let us know how to fight with is.

Thank you,
Arthur.
by ajb » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:22 pm
I have the same camera and the same problem - but not only disabling the hub arise, also my ethernet device will get dropped down, weird ...

I did some debugging and found an error within the ffmpeg package ... I'm still guessing, not knowing ;)

Is ffmpeg_cap_new within motion.conf disabled or enabled? If you did enable it, please switch it off and try again ...
by ajb » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 pm
I forgot to mention that raspi isn't crashed, there is no ethernet device anymore ... If you restart the network from the console, raspi is "alive" again ...
by kermitas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:07 pm
After many days of fighting I am giving up.

What is the best in Microsoft LifeCam Cinema + RaspbeeryPi is ... not to use this webcam with rpi!

I bought and used two EMI ferrite cilinders, I replaced USB cables, usb hubs, raspberrypi (even inside metal box - EMI), OS (debian wheezy, F17), SD cards, power supply, I used 'motion' / fswebcam / v4l4j ... nothing helps. This webcam hangs my rpi or is disconnected by the hub.

I can't do nothing more :(. I have only wasted a money buying this webcam to use it with rpi.

Now I bought Creative Live! cam socialize HD 1080 and it works out-of-the box. It works for many days without any problem!
by kermitas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:18 pm
ajb wrote:I have the same camera and the same problem - but not only disabling the hub arise, also my ethernet device will get dropped down, weird ...

Sometimes my ethernet wend down and up in a few seconds. Camera disappear but rpi didn't crash.

ajb wrote:I did some debugging and found an error within the ffmpeg package ... I'm still guessing, not knowing ;)

From this what I know I don't have any ffmpeg installed so in my case it is not a reason of all that troubles.

ajb wrote:Is ffmpeg_cap_new within motion.conf disabled or enabled? If you did enable it, please switch it off and try again ...

I never create a movies on rpi. Just take snapshots every 10s and on motion detection.

Latest motion 3.2 or trunk557 works quite well. Yesterday I switched off motion detection and changed to take snapshot every 1s. Now it works even more stable.

I hate M$ LifeCam Cinema webcam. I loosed sooooo manyyyyy days :evil: :cry: . M$ support responded to me that this webcam should be used only with Windows and aksed me for registration key. (For many years I am a 100% linux guy and their webcam is UVC class device so it should work with non-ms products. )

If you are interested: I also described here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12304 jumping horizontal lines when using M$ webcam.