Please Return Jim's Pi! Raspberry Jam Silicon Valley

7 posts
by Jim Manley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 am
In the rush to pack up this afternoon at the end of the very successful Jam at the Computer History Museum, someone accidentally picked up my Pi and, worst of all, it has my current Pi-finity! development environment, and was last backed up yesterday, so, I don't have the work I did last night or this morning on any other card.

It was the Pi that the kids were using closest to the projector and impressing everyone. Let me know where to come pick it up tonight and I'll come by, as I don't have anything more pressing to attend to at the moment, and I really need those files.

Thanks again to everyone for coming, especially all of the kids! In the words of Chief Brody in "Jaws", "We're gonna need a bigger boat!" :D

Thanks, and All the Best,
Jim
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by liz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:21 pm
Aw rats - that sounds familiar. We've had two go missing at events (Gert has taken to chaining his to the table), and only found out what had happened to one of them (we left it with the guy who had "borrowed" it in order to make his friends ashamed). Hope you get it back - and glad the day went so well!
Foundation
Foundation
by liamfraser280 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:32 pm
Really sorry to hear that Jim. Hope you find it soon, and that PiFinity development is going well :)
by Jim Manley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:02 pm
I'm dead-in-the-water now, as the other two boards I brought to the Jam were borrowed. Virtually all of Pi-finity! requires the actual hardware to run and test since it uses the GPU extensively and networking at maximum demand. I can't do any useful development on an emulator.

I really hope someone will realize a mistake was made. To avoid embarrassment, if they want to anonymously get it to the museum so I can pick it up, please deliver/mail it to:

Dag Spicer
Computer History Museum
1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043-1311

I'm not mad at all and, in fact, I'm more despondent than anything else. It bothers me that I went through a lot of effort to set up the Jam, and this is the reward I get for my hard work. If it was filched, maybe they thought I already had three boards, so, losing one wouldn't be a big deal, but, the other two were borrowed and have been returned, so, now I have none with which to get work done on Pi-finity! or anything else, and I'm nearly 100 miles away from the next closest Pi, now. I was even on my best pussycat/teddy-bear behavior (as is always the case with me in-person) and I can't think of how anyone could do this intentionally barely eight feet away from me. It just has to be an honest mistake - the alternative is both repulsive and chilling.

The worst of it is that I spend every spare penny I earn for my Dad's care, which is now close to six figures a year. Since income from teaching won't be received until late September and late Summer is the leanest time of the year, I can't even order a replacement for another two months. Even then, it could be three months after that before I would receive it if it winds up behind a ton of bulk orders.

Life's a beyotch, and then you die, as we say in the military. This just plain sucks.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
by James808 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 pm
This is dissapointing,I realy hope that someone come's clean. I mean how could you not know that this isn't your pi.....

If you are reading this post and you have Jim's work with you then I hope the guilt sets in and you return it pronto.
by Jim Manley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm
liamfraser280 wrote:Really sorry to hear that Jim. Hope you find it soon, and that PiFinity development is going well :)

Hi Liam!

The rest of the team finally received their boards within the last couple of weeks, so, at least they can now get some OGLES work done. I hope they will be hitting the server within the next few weeks once they get the hardware-dependent bugs worked out on the Pi boards.

Keep up the great work - the kids and adults all know your voice from the tutorials :)

All the Best,
Jim
by IT_Sean » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:28 am
That's crap.

I hope whomever wandered off with it, be it accidentally or otherwise, is decent enough to return it.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi IRC channel: #raspberrypi on irc.freenode.net
Come join us for a chat!