Why phone charger was a smart move.

6 posts
by kme » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 am
The move to the universal phone charger was indeed a smart move to reduce over all costs. The internal voltage regulator got cheaper and the charger itself is *very* cheap:
http://www.dhgate.com/mini-cha.....d6eb6.html
Below two USD per unit in batches of 50 units. 50 units makes little sense for an end user but a lot of sense for the Raspberry Shop. The adapter delivers 1A which is somewhere between 50 and 100% more than needed for a B model for its intended use (some of us will need more, but that's our problem).

So add a cable and sell for 6-8 USD and the Shop will make a bit of profit.
by Skygod » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:37 am
In the UK you need 3 pin plugs, in the EU you need 2 round pin plugs, here in Thailand, you need 2 flat ping plugs.

Unless there's a compelling case for buying from Raspberry Pi then locally sourcing a single item is much cheaper. Here, I can buy a charger for less than the cost of sending a letter to England.
by kme » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 am
You can always find odd places with odd plugs, but this one works here:

The Europlug itself is used in Class II applications throughout continental Europe (Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey). It is also used in the Middle East (Iran), most African nations, South America (Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Peru and Bolivia), Asia (India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Pakistan, South Korea, and the Philippines) as well as Russia and the former Soviet republics, such as Ukraine, Armenia, Georgia, and many developing nations. It is also used alongside the BS 1363 in many nations, particularly former British colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.....resent_use
And I can guarantee you that in West Europe you get nowhere close to $2.
by Bacan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:18 am
USofA users will expect a blade type plugs on the PSU.
Suggest doing a test market of these PSUs to some US yanks to get them use to EU PSUs.
by j0z0r » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:56 am
I suggest the Goodwill or other thrift stores if you live outside the US. I can usually find a "power supply" for $1, maybe less if it's half price day, lol. They have a huge rubbermaid full of a vast assortment of cords. I sometimes match the input specs of a device with one cord, then use another cord that has the proper connection. Splice it up, and done
by abishur » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:17 pm
You can always just get a basic charger that has a usb type a connector then buy a usb cable that's type a to micro. Together a combo like that would be more in the 5 dollar range. No need to buy a super expensive charger that has the cable permanently attached if it cost so much more!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator