GNURadio on Raspberry Pi

12 posts
by lordloh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Is there any way to get an install the gnuradio binaries on raspberry-pi?

I attempted to build the GNURadio on Raspberry Pi. After several hours and many attempts, the build script failed as it could not find libraries with prefix libfftw. Nevertheless I did install them. If I cannot get binaries, how do I successfully compile it?

Alternatively, can I use the GNURadio & companion GUI on an x86 to build an executable that would run on Pi? Is GNURadio not a bunch of Python Scripts?
by RaspISteve » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 pm
A long shot but have you looked at http://www.fftw.org/
by lordloh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 pm
Not much is discussed in the FAQ or docs about library not found. And I had installed all libraries that had libfftw prefix. Nothing had worked.

After installing fftw*, the buildscript managed to proceed. A flaw in the script I suppose.
by lordloh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:13 am
Okay. I finally managed to get the error rounded up. I could not get a proper screen shot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e4dqkximyz2o ... 0814.jpg?m
by lordloh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 am
A little bit of search got me a patch - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/patch ... 65EP52.txt
However, while applying this patch, I discover that it has already been applied to the git repository. So that is another dead end :-(
by lordloh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:41 pm
I tried to compile it with the the neon disabled
Code: Select all
cmake -Dhave_mfpu_neon=0 -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" -CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "-fexceptions" -CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER "/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc" ../

And ended up getting consistent errors at 37% - "Internal Compiler error - file bug report"
by lordloh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm
I finally got it to compile. It might be that the lack of memory was causing problems along with other things. Increasing the swap space helped.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nll0qhm4z09vv ... RPi.tar.gz is the built binary. Should anyone want to try these, let me know if it works.
by Sonny_Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
I managed to get gnuradio to compile after looking at a few guides. I used distcc to try and speed up the process, which as a bit of a pig to setup.

apt-get install python-cheetah libboost-all-dev python-lxml python-wxgtk2.8 python-numpy python-lxml libfftw3-dev libsdl1.2-dev python-scipy python-matplotlib python-tk octave liboctave-dev libgsl0-dev python-sphinx libcppunit-dev libuhd-dev swig python-qt4-dev libqwt-dev git

cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/distcc/gcc -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/distcc/g++ -Dhave_mfpu_neon=0 -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" ../

I'm going to see how modes_rx runs and hopefully I'll be able to do some ADS-B capture.
by Sonny_Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:39 pm
Mini-update:

It looks like modes_rx consumes too much CPU for it to work, which is a shame, although it is possible to run rtl_tcp on the Pi and send the data via network cable to another PC running modes_rx. I've tried using a wireless connection but it doesn't really have enough bandwidth.

I'm recompiling gnuradio with some more aggressive CFLAGS but I'm not holding out much hope.
by Gekko1972 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am
Hello!
First of all sorry for my bad english!

Translated the GNU Radio and everything is fine.
The start of the GRC, a simple structure (signal -> sound sink) are working properly.
If the assembly is Complex-float conversion, the program freezes at the part and just kill you can kill it. (Do not gui version I'm using, but console versions), we tested a ny statement after you enter "Print" in, complex-float conversion in the first crash.

What could be the problem? The program compiled without errors ....

It would be nice if someone would help, because this is a very important project, and it stuck!

Regards gekko1972
by deltalimablahblah² » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:01 pm
Hi,

I read some texts where ppl could compile GRC on RPi direct. BUT: what happened then? Did someone could compile AND run software like gr-air-modes or gr-ais, for example?

I read nothing about this after ppl did compile grc...

Does it not work on RPi because of "low" perfmormance?
by peterwillcn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:07 am
Building GSM Networks with Open BTS In PI
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36400