Introduce yourself!

1992 posts   Page 48 of 80   1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 80
by 81SpiderWebb » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:38 pm
Hello Raspberry Pi Community,
My interest in the RPi is educational. Based in Palm Desert California, near Palm Springs, the Foundation I work for looks for innovative and cost effective ways to help people in our community. This wonderful little device will help many children understand the world of technology.
Many thanks to all involved, and happy coding!
Respectfully,
Robert Webb
81SpiderWebb (1981 Alfa Romeo Spider Owner)
by cocomic » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:35 am
Hi RPi Community guys,

I've joined this forum as I'm planning to get a couple of RPis and start playing around with them, trying to encode in realtime a http stream coming from a dreambox with one of them, and in parallel transforming the 2nd one into a car pc.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
by RainMan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 am
Hello World,

This is what I love about the web, people from all walks of life sharing the same interests .... all in one place. Hoping to share projects and ideas with you all in the future.

In the meantime, may I suggest to the Forum Administrators that we have some sort of logical 'Introduction' format. Personally I would of thought that a 'Descending' list, would of been the preferred way of reading the latest posts, negating the need to scroll all the way to the last page to read the latest post.

I wish everybody great fun with their Raspberry Pi'

Talk to you soon.

RainMan
Jersey Channel Islands
by lovemechanic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:38 pm
Well where do I start!! Former Veteran of the US military. Worked as a heavy aircraft mechanic. Graduate of a two year civilian aviation electronics program. Ham-radio operator in two countries. FCC licensed. Current automotive technician.

Yes, I am a INTJ personality. Do not have my degree but should after attending collage twice for two Diplomas.

I am very intrigued by this board. I love the fact, it is small like the Audrino board and the pico PCI boards. I was thinking of buying this board if it has the CPU processing muscle to process video input though a CMOS or CCD high image pixel camera. Having access to a cheap, affordable ipcam system would be great!

Also, do these boards allow for serial input from GPS receiver boards?
by timberw0lf » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 pm
Hi there!

I've been lurking around on the forums for about a month now. I just ordered my PI on Monday from MCM Electronics. It should be here by friday. 8-)

I'm looking foward to being a part of this community.

~timberw0lf
timberw0lf | www.124mb.com
by znop » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:27 pm
Hello...

I'm stoked! I must have one of these wondrous computers. I am a A+ Microsoft Office certified I also have an electronics technicians background. Basically, I'm a Technogeek :ugeek: I came across this device randomly surfing the web (how the best discoveries are made). I first thought no way this is true. Then I thought... "I the Iphone?" why not a credit card size PC? Has anyone thought to connect a Ex., Sony USB Portable Power Supply (output: -2000 mAh) to make the RPi 512mb mobile?
by smstext » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:51 pm
hi all, im new, no programming skills apart from the days of bbc basic and the countless books i use to get out from the library to write a simple game. am learning python at moment and have very limited linux skills so will need as much help as a noob. have two of the latest pi's which were a suprise to turn up with double the memory on board.
by Mariano Cividino » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm
Hi, My name is Mariano Cividino from Mataró, Spain.
I received the Raspberry Pi two weeks ago and already tries several things including:
- Raspbmc
- Raspbian with MySQL, Apache and PHP5.
- The current setup is the CNXSoft minimal image with MySQL, lighttp and PHP5. I installed the Raspcontrol, Owncloud, transmission deamon and samba to share a some directories on an external 2 TB HD I have connected to it.
It does very well and I´m surprised how stable it is. However, my RPi is a 256 MB RAM, and seems to be missing more memory to run all this stuff.

I´m waiting to receive the 512 MB to see if it improves performance.

Cheers.
by dw989 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:22 am
Hey there, the names Michael. I have absolutely no experience with these sorts of things. Most I know of is upgrading computers and software on computers, primarily windows but a bit on mac and linux. I'm planning on buying the Raspberry Pi to start playing around/learning about how to well...just expanding my horizons!
by masafumi_ohta » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 am
hello I am Masafumi from Tokyo,Japan.

I used to be Core Contributor for OpenSolaris now resigned because of Oracle acquisition - they killed 'Open'ed Solaris.Since last year I have joined Geiger Counter project recovering from the disaster of the nuclear power plant in Fukushima.I made some Geiger Counters - long long while to make Electrice DIY but I remembered I was interested in making Electric Devices when I was a high school student.

I have heard about Raspberry PI was very interesting.because it is good for beginners,student and kids to learn how computer works and useful to contribute Education in Fukushima,Sendai...disaster areas by quake and tsunami.so I got some PIs now and tring to do some.

3 month ago I attended OpenSource Conference,having a meeting with some guys who are very interested in Raspberry PI we should found the Users Group for Japanese.so we eshtablished the group 'Japanese Raspberry PI Users Group'.

We working on using PI and do something (learning,Playing and more) with it.and planning to have a meetup to network each other.
---
Masafumi Ohta
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/japanese-raspberry-pi-users-group
by RaspISteve » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:44 pm
Just signed up on the off chance of hitting a show stopper with the little guy. Given the excellent source of stuff here (THANKS guys) and around I've worked out most everything thus far.

First met Unix years ago then Linux at/around release 1.3.? when a 25MHz 386 and 4Mb of RAM was fairly hot. Those were the days. Many a lunch time saw me on a no-brainer playing Mahjongg so where was it on the Pi? Did a search here but only got a user name.

Well one WAG later...
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install mahjongg  (or was it Mahjongg??)

What will I do with the Pi (other than Mahjongg)? No idea but I do have a PiFace, got Gordon's driver stuff going and have designed/built my share of home-brew electronics. Just need to get my head around all the Harry Potter style spells/potions that brings dominion over the Linux command line.
by Gert » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 pm
Hi Group,

I bought the RaspberryPi to play with a always on little Linux system for home automation.
Plan is to run security cameras and other home information.

Cheers,
Gert
(not related to Gert van Loo)
by edgarsprings » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:09 pm
Hello to all! I am Edgar Springs.
I have a question...
I would like to install VNC on my new Raspberry PI so that I could control it from my other computers.
Has anyone done this?
If so please tell me how to do it.
by andycrofts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:59 pm
Hi, I'm Andy.
I'm a 56-year-old geriatric fogey, I smell of pee (advantage: always get a double seat to myself on the bus!) I live in Oulu, Finland, and still waiting for my PI from RS - they're a bit slow, but with luck might mean I'l get a 512 meg. "Welsh Dragon" version. (Doesn't really matter if I don't).
Idea is to put Joomla et.al. on it (I'll upgrade the SD card to 16G, natch) and use it to power my website oululife.com. Idea of it sitting in my living room, under the sofah, delivering pictures, videos, information about Oulu, Finnish lessons - which I'm learning, recipes (I love cooking) etc. Programming experience faded with age (I wrote a FORTH interpreter for an 8085 machine over a weekend once), but I know a bit of Linux, so I should be OK with it. Been in touch with Professor Fox of Soton university who gave me a few pointers, so clustering a few might be a good idea, if the website takes off.
Lot of learning (Pi, Joomla, networking etc), but as it's snowing here, I've nothing else to do in the 6-month winter....I'm SO looking forward to the challenge!
-Cheers, Andy.
by svicknesh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:47 am
A warm hello to the community. I'm Vicknesh from Malaysia and have been using the RaspPi since August. It's a wondrful little gadget with lots of potentials. Thanks to the foundation for creating this device and to the great community :D
by SearchMyAim » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm
Hello Raspberrians,
I'm Alexander from Austria. Got my Raspberry in the middle of last week. I want to use it as a webserver. Cause of the great community here I made already some progress. It's a really nice tool to get used to linux and play with it. I guess I will order a second one and use it as media pc.
At the moment I'm kinda stuck at the problem to use the full 512mb of memory.

Greetings,
Alex
First: as Webserver. http://searchmyaim.no-ip.org/wordpress/
Second: as media center.
by appstuff » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm
Hello!

I am brand new to the Raspberry Pi world. I have been curious about the computer for as long as it has been around, however, I never really pursued my interest in it until very recently. I recently attended the IET event (in the Manchester audience) at Manchester Metropolitan University and about halfway through, decided to get my iPhone out and ordered a Pi there and then.

In some ways, I totally missed the point of the Pi, or, more specifically, thought the point of it wasn't relevant to me (at least not directly.) I am a sixth form tutor. I teach A-Level computing and BTEC Software Development. I thought that whilst the Pi was cool, we were already teaching kids how to program in C/C++, Objective-C, C# and Java. The Pi, whilst cool, wouldn't allow us (so I thought) to do anything new or different. I acknowledged it was a great idea to get kids into programming. But my students already were, so no real point.

I underestimated the incredibly cool, immediately engaging form factor. My students love the Pi. It's a great thing to work with. The ability to have it interface with things like Arduino will be very important to us over the foreseeable future. It's going to be our "next big thing", bringing electronics to a classroom environment where software is usually far and away the king, it'll be great to show students the hardware in a way more engaging way than the typical "a CPU does this, RAM does that..." etc.

Our focus has been on developing iPhone apps with Objective-C and the students have loved it. We've since added Xbox 360 games dev with XNA and C# and we're about to add Unity, since Nintendo's announcement that Wii U will support it (this is on the BTEC, the A-Level computing is unfortunately much older and much more limited... though it is changing) and we'll definitely be looking at adding Pi/Arduino onto the course as well once we have found a balance.

Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute stuff as well as ask a billion questions.

Thanks. :)

Stuart
by Steggie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 am
Hello People,

I'm actually sat here killing time while I wait for my Raspi to be delivered. :D

I'm an engineer working with cranes, mostly old school Ward Leonard control systems or Thyristors. In my spare time I have been known to build the odd robot, the clue is in my nick ;) . I would consider myself an enthusiastic beginner in programming, having made the screen change colour on my old ZX Spectrum 20 something years ago, I am now writing (copy and pasting) code in my Arduino to control simple robotic devices. I've come to buy a Raspi after looking for a cheap way to build a NAS device for my backup harddrive, although it seems to be a project I keep adding to :? it now looks more like a HTPC and I haven't got the parts yet. :o

Peter.
by Thijxx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am
Hi all,

My name is Thijs and I primarily use my Raspberry Pi's to take over the world. Obviously.

Currently running are OpenVPN and a TOR Relay server. I will also run a TimeMachine service for the backups of my Macs, CryptoCat for a safer world, maybe a Torrent client and a network intrusion detection application.

I'm looking into game emulators, NAS and HTPC services. Just ordered some extra Pi's to handle all the new projects :)

Cheerio
by ACE[Beck] » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:53 pm
Hello,

My name is Andrew and I am from Akron, OH in the US. My middle initials are C.E. hence the name ACE. I've lived in northeast ohio my whole life and graduated from Kent State University with a degree in Computer Information Systems. If I could do it over again I'd probably go into Computer Science. I do have a good job working at a major law firm doing IT support. Most aspects of the job are non-technical, but occasionally we get to do some cool techie stuff. I hope to one day work for myself and possibly have my own business.

My other interests include videogames (PC, ps3, 360), movies, rock & roll music (I play the drums and guitar), and my two dogs, Rosco and Abby. I'm only 27 years old and I've already become mostly jaded with society. Comedy is the one device that makes sense of this cesspool of a world we live in. George Carlin is my biggest inspiration, R.I.P.

I am eager to learn so much from my RPi. A couple of things I'm interested in doing with my RPi are running a website and file server/media center. After only 30 minutes checking out the forum, I've come to realize there are virtually endless possibilities of things to do with the RPi. I can't wait to get involved!

Thanks for reading,
ACE
by nduetime » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 pm
Hello. I come to this forum in search for very basic answers for what should be very simple questions. I've search online but am pretty green when it comes to anything like this. I just want to be able to use the RPi as a media center. I want to play movies and listen to Internet radio, that's all. I have seen that movies are capable which is great. However, web surfing is slow (for my taste.) Does this mean that playing music through pandora's website will be less than ideal? I know these questions should be pretty evident but I'm new to this type of format. My only other immediate desire for the RPi would be for Internet browsing. Which, in it's current development is lacking (from what I've read, this should not be used as a htpc) but hopefully within time that may change. If anyone would care to comment I'd greatly appreciate it. However, please take t easy on me, I'm still learning.
by abishur » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 am
nduetime wrote:Hello. I come to this forum in search for very basic answers for what should be very simple questions. I've search online but am pretty green when it comes to anything like this. I just want to be able to use the RPi as a media center. I want to play movies and listen to Internet radio, that's all. I have seen that movies are capable which is great. However, web surfing is slow (for my taste.) Does this mean that playing music through pandora's website will be less than ideal? I know these questions should be pretty evident but I'm new to this type of format. My only other immediate desire for the RPi would be for Internet browsing. Which, in it's current development is lacking (from what I've read, this should not be used as a htpc) but hopefully within time that may change. If anyone would care to comment I'd greatly appreciate it. However, please take t easy on me, I'm still learning.

Welcome to the forums, I would suggest starting a new thread to get deeper answers to your questions. But here are some quick answers:

Media Center: Check out some of the XBMC builds like RaspBMC, OpenELEC, or another one whose name escapes me but a user named Sam works on.
Internet: X (the desktop environment) is not yet accelerated, now that the CPU side graphic bits have been open sourced I expect that to have better development speed
Pandora: Won't play on Linux, requires microsoft proprietary stuff. But there is a bash prompt script called Pianobar which works with pandora and an XBMC plugin
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
by flyinghappy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 am
Just got my slice of Pi on Saturday and have to say so far I am impressed. Running my beloved ArchLinux w/ openbox on it and it is a pretty good performer. I'm really excited to see what I can get out of the device! Gonna use it as a media server and possibly more around the house using minidlna and samba. Might even try to get it online to use as a remote file server for myself when I'm traveling.
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server
by Berts_Pi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Hi I'm Dave.
I bought my first 'pute in 1982, a BBC model B, progressed thru A3000 and A3010, but was put off by Acorns RiscPCs due to an over exuberance to sell PC emulator cards. (DEBI, was it?) So I bought a IBM386 PC instead. Gosh I missed the electronics side. My BBC B wrote eproms and I tinkered a little with LOGO and robotics. It was fun.
So I jumped at the chance to get a raspberry PI. I have always had at least one PC running Gnome or KDE, and have both home laptops presently running Ubuntu/unity. (I know... I prefer LXDE too!)
Running Raspian wheezy on Pi to get familiar with it. Tried Alpha RiscOS when I got it, but was a little disappointed, then recently saw the RC6 release. Wow what a leap forward. It's like a old pair of comfy slippers. 25 years old and able to take on anything the linux world can produce. If you haven't tried it. Do. It's fast and doesn't hog resources like Raspbian does.
Now to have a play with the GPIO. Great stuff chaps.
by marklouis1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 am
Thanks.. :)
Wholesale dealer 5.11 tactical products in USA.