FreeNas

15 posts
by greenfox » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:11 pm
Would it be possible for Raspberry Pi to run FreeNas software so budget Nas boxes could be produced???
Any info would be helpful.
by WASD » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm
I\'ve never heard of it, but I don\'t see why not. It\'s open source.
I\'m intending to use my R-pi as some kind of NAS. Not decided which software to use yet.
by andyfrommk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:55 pm
You could not get ZFS working on the R-Pi
ZFS needs at least 2 gigabytes to work properly but with an ordinary filesystem it should work
by obarthelemy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:18 pm
Yes, you can use the Pi as a NAS server.

But not FreeNAS per se: FreeNAS is built on a flavour of BSD, not Linux, and as far as I know, no ports of any *BSD in general, nor FreeNAS in particular, are planned.

So you\'ll have to build your NAS starting from scratch, from a regular Linux distro which is a little more work. Also, the Pi does not have very good I/O (everything goes through a single USB2 port, even on the model B), so don\'t expect high performance nor high capacity. Anything beyond 1 disk (USB2 only) and 2-3 users will be very iffy.

There are a few topics about it on this forum already... Things will progress once we have actual hardware in our hands ^^
by bugmenot3 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:16 pm
Please, the do-it-all-yourself is not helpful at all and is not a solution. There are two well known software NAS solutions out there, one is the Synology DSM, that is based on linux, and the FreeNAS that is based on BSD. If none of them can be run on the Raspberry Pi, which one could, if existent? Will someday someone release an usable software or will remain abandoned?
by ghans » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:10 pm
Both are OSS - there is no "somebody" .
Either someone ports it because he is bored or alturistic or whatever - or you PAY somebody to port it.

The foundation and distributors have decided to support the Linux kernel and currently favour the Raspbian distro.
If you look closely you'll see that they only run the CDN, some mirrors and the kernel repo (and do bugfixing).
Additionally , they seem to be interested to give us Android.

Everything else is left to us.

I rembember that "somebody" was already porting a BSD flavour.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by bredman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 am
You can build a standard Linux NAS on top of Debian or Raspbian by using the instructions at
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS

This instruction is based on Samba. You should be able to get approx 4MB/sec, so this is probably not fast enough to stream HD video.
by Ninkul » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:47 am
bredman wrote:This instruction is based on Samba. You should be able to get approx 4MB/sec, so this is probably not fast enough to stream HD video.

You'll only be able to get 4MByte/sec if your drives are formatted as NTFS. NTFS has a massive overhead on the Pi's tiny CPU.

Running at a safe overclock of 800mHz I on ext4 I'm able to hit maximum network throughput receiving data on the Pi however I was only able to hit about 6~7MByte/sec transmitting from the Pi.

I'm using Raspbian at the moment and using SMB at 900mHz with the cutdown kernel and an ext4 formatted USB HDD. This lets me hit max throughput receiving on the Pi and hitting about 8.4MByte/sec transmitting.

Using vsftpd instead of SMB gave me about 10% more transmission speed (only tested it with stock clocks and kernel).
by bkindel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 pm
I am a longtime user of FreeNAS (and am very happy with it). I am no linux guru, but have been able to get everything (and keep everything) setup and running. The original author of FreeNAS has started a new project that is linux based. Take a look here:

http://www.openmediavault.org/

I have had it running (just for test purposes) for a little while, and it seems to be fairly stable. I would think that raspberry pi + open media vault would be a nice NAS solution. I hope this is helpful.
by nedjeffery » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:08 am
I have configured a NAS solution with my pi that is pretty straight forward. But performance is not great. I'm using archlinux running nothing but a telnet server (so i can get access) and Samba. I have a 2x 1TB usb drives with a couple of share folders on each.

Setup is fairly simple, but not plug and play. You'll need to create the mount points, configure the fstab file to mount the drives, setup your remote access server (ssh prefered, but i was too lazy), setup your samba server, and configure the share folders. I'm fairly new at this, but I found all the information I needed online quick and easy. Transfer rate is averaging about 2MB/s which is terrible! so I suggest using it for long tern storage only. But it does the trick.
by mavric200 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:56 am
I've been using raspbmc as a improtu server of sorts, powered usb hub, and several laptop sized drives for storage of movies and music. Total power consumption is around 16 watts. Works well under smb, windows sees it, and I can stream perfectly from it. Transferring files however is painfully slow. About 2 mb/s throughput.

ssd drives would provide the perfect low power solution for this, however are quite expensive for now. Anyways, I'm sure someone will be porting freenas over to the arm architecture soon, if not already.
by bucker » Fri May 31, 2013 12:28 am
Im getting around 7MB/s with my Pi on smb file transfer to win7. Streaming Works fine even to 1080p movies (w/o DTS audio)
Write speed is around 3MB/s
Winning is for losers.
Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB
--
by stevech » Fri May 31, 2013 3:20 am
To slow for me
by DonFromCanada » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:58 pm
How about running xbmc with a large externally powered USB drive? Would it provide enough throughput to display HD content? I'm getting away from the NAS question a bit, but I was curious about performance through the USB port.

Wonder how much more would be required to create an Rpi board with usb3?
by ghans » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:14 am
It should be enough. Most people experience problems when
using the Pi as NAS (and try staying Windows-compatible at
all costs).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org