Want a sneaky peek at a Model A?

16 posts
by liz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:06 pm
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2189885/ ... nits-video

Eben did this video interview yesterday - and I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I believe this is the first time we've shown a Model A to cameras. Enjoy!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by RaTTuS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:10 pm
yeah just watched it ....
\o/
much stronger SD card adapter
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by JeremyF » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:15 pm
The SD card slot looks a bit improved.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by liz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:23 pm
JeremyF wrote:The SD card slot looks a bit improved.

That's not a production model; it's one of the Foundation's test models, and we happened to have a reel of very expensive SD slots left over from the run of beta boards at the end of last year. I won't swear to it, but I *believe* we'll still be using the friction mounts in the production boards.
--
by Burngate » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:36 pm
There seems to be something shiny where the 9512 shouldn't be!
Wish they'd done a bcu so we could have a better look
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by reggie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:57 pm
Nice to see the model A, would really like to own one, right now :) The bit that caught my eye the most was how many pi orders have been made, 350,000 pi on order by april, those are some mighty impressive figures Liz, the foundation must be very happy to see those kinds of numbers, a very nice jump off point for the edu release.
by Lorian » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:02 pm
Liz, Please review the decision to continue to use the friction sd card mounts. I am as nice as pi to mine but its not going to last 12 months without breaking.
by liz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:12 pm
Very unlikely, I'm afraid - it all comes down to BOM cost, and those parts are surprisingly expensive.
--
by Lorian » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:28 pm
The economics of using the cheaper component might be less compelling when faulty returns start happening. I,m sure school uses will find them not so durable .
Any prospect of allowing comunity members to get one of your spares to a suitable donation?
by Robert_M » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:26 pm
I think the title of the report impresses me the most! A million units!
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.
by johnbeetem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:47 pm
Burngate wrote:There seems to be something shiny where the 9512 shouldn't be!
Wish they'd done a bcu so we could have a better look

I didn't look at the video, but that's probably where the ground pad for the LAN9512 is soldered. It has a nice big ground pad to conduct heat into the PC board.
by reggie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 pm
The ones going into schools will be in cases won't they? So that will provide support and strength to the SD card socket, or at least it should.
by AndrewS » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:02 am
liz wrote:

That's not a production model; it's one of the Foundation's test models...

I guess that also explains why it's still using a double-height USB socket, when the USB hub chip isn't present ;) :geek:
by JeremyF » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:16 pm
AndrewS wrote:
liz wrote:

That's not a production model; it's one of the Foundation's test models...

I guess that also explains why it's still using a double-height USB socket, when the USB hub chip isn't present ;) :geek:

This actually brings up a good question. For the production Model A, will the USB port feet be in the "right" place? (i.e. not causing the USB ports to be halfway off the board)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by mahjongg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:48 pm
Another question is whether the USB port will be able to power an unpowered hub? (sorry if I seem to be always drumming on the same drum)

As I see it a PI with only one USB port has three ways to support both a keyboard and a mouse.
  • It uses a bluetooth adapter to communicate with a wireless keyboard and mouse combo
  • It uses an unpowered hub, to split the USB port in two
  • It uses a keyboard with a built in hub for a mouse, or it does the same, for a built in trackpad.

The first solution would normally work on one of the current USB ports, but the second and third will not!

I think that the trip value of the polyfyse should be increased to a value with a standard internal resistance comparable to the input polyfuse (F1), so that and external unpowered hub, and keyboards with such hubs, get the full 5V +- 5%.

Also, due to a lack of the LAN9512, there is also no mechanism in place anymore to detect burned out fuses (the PRCTRL signals), but who cares!

This actually brings up a good question. For the production Model A, will the USB port feet be in the "right" place? (i.e. not causing the USB ports to be halfway off the board)

I assume that the type of double height USB port chosen, will also support a single USB port connector in the same position, this means the single USB connector will be in the same position, and will "Stick out just as much" as the Model-B's. I guess the enclose for a model-A has to change anyway, as the USB port is single height, and there is no Ethernet connector anymore.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lob0426 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:45 pm
From the changes that @godFather89 is making it appears the A model may just what the Motorola Lapdock needs! The Lapdock has keyboard mouse pad and a two port hub built in plus a decent HDMI screen and speakers from HDMI.

It would be nice if the polyfuse were increased since there is only one port to power. My guess is it will remain at 140ma as that is a part that is already sourced for the Model B.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!