looking for a power button

24 posts
by abishur » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 am
So as a bit of a frivolousness I want to put a power button on my case, but I'm having a hard time finding one that both looks nice and doesn't cost 12 bucks!

I was hoping the button would be flush with the case and work as a power power button (that is a button that latches, or a push on/push off button)

I've looked at sparkfun, mouser, and digikey without much success. Does anyone know of a good option?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jongoleur » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 am
You always know where you are with one of these http://www.ecomponentsuk.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=121-0001

I haven't seen any small/cheap pushbutton switches with a latching action, most seem to have a momentary action. The ones I have seen have either been shallow and expensive or deep and slightly less expensive. You might consider miniature rocker switches, which would have a slimline appearance or slide switches. Not as cool as a flush pushbutton, but better than having a retro lever sticking out!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by Mortimer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:25 am
Something like RS part. 319-360
Molveno Part No. SP6012C100000
DPST latching pushbutton switch

The one on the left. If you buy one of these don't forget to get the button cap, orange, black, green, red, yellow or white.

Only the four colours below available from CPC:
ImageImageImageImage

RS have them for about £2.50 for the switch, plus 25p for the cap, then postage.

Even cheaper from CPC (Branch of Farnell): http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayProdu ... 2-00001000
£1.55 for the switch and 20p for the cap, don't forget postage.
by DexOS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 pm
Instead of a power button, i use a remote control plug, works really well.
See here: http://youtu.be/Hc-5epQTul8
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.
by jamesh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:03 pm
The Foundation recommend something like this...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/ ... 34x371.jpg
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by rurwin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:03 pm
Here you go then James.

They're a bit plasticy, but they are the real thing.

Radioshack knife switch
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by pygmy_giant » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:52 pm
'Throw the switch Egor!'

....Yeth Mathter...

Seriously thoug - I'm looking for a 'big red button' myself and am tempted by this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190696651456&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

problem is, I only want one :¬/
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by tufty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:16 pm
You want one of these:

The corresponding "go" button is usually a green pushbutton (and if you want to be really snazzy, have a yellow "rearm" button as well)
by thexman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm
jamesh wrote:The Foundation recommend something like this...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/ ... 34x371.jpg

University of London Basement Plant room still has a load of switch gear just like that photo it is all disconnected but its listed status means they couldn't remove it so they made a museum Piece of it. ill get a photo next time i am in there looks old .
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by extravagoose » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:25 pm
Or surely if you've any other spare junk around you could nick a power button :P Might pinch the switch from an old desk lamp :P
RPi 1: Hostname: Gimli, 500Gb USB HDD, ArchLinux | ARM.
Main Use: Bit of everything - but mainly web server, Network Storage and C programming.

RPi 2: Hostname tba, awaiting delivery.
by jamesh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:02 am
The motorracing fraternity has some excellent switches...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... r-switches
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by abishur » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:27 am
I saw some switches like these that were all shiny metal, flush mount, with LED rings. It was quite tempting if it weren't for the price!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by tufty » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:36 am
One of these could be a bit "overkill" (if you'll forgive the pun)

Cheapo toggle switch and ₤4 flip cover. All available from Maplin.
by extravagoose » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 am
tufty wrote:One of these could be a bit "overkill" (if you'll forgive the pun)

Cheapo toggle switch and ₤4 flip cover. All available from Maplin.

I think using that with say one of those USB missile toy things (assuming they can be programmed... or adapted to run on GPIO) - I think that switch is quite appropriate :)
RPi 1: Hostname: Gimli, 500Gb USB HDD, ArchLinux | ARM.
Main Use: Bit of everything - but mainly web server, Network Storage and C programming.

RPi 2: Hostname tba, awaiting delivery.
by guidol » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:54 am
Hmm, a power button at the case? But the power supply (USB Charger) will consume power while the RPi if off :(
How about cutting the power directly = eco mode :)
by Lob0426 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:11 am
A switch that cuts the power supply at the plug (mains) would be the best to save on power. The wall wart uses power even if the device is turned off.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by abishur » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:16 am
True, but considering how extremely little power I would save in the very rare instances I wouldn't have the pi on (say during vacation once a year?) and even the very little I would save if I turned it off daily, it boarders on the absurd to worry about that. ;-) I mean even if every person on the face of the planet who used phone chargers and the like unplugged their phone chargers we wouldn't see massive energy savings as compared to increasing inside temperature during the summers and decreasing it in the winter or drying more clothes by air or so forth and so on. Indeed the energy savings we'd see or even the reduction in CO2 wouldn't begin to impact things on a global scale. Now when it comes to phantom energy in relation to major appliances, that's another story, but just for cell phones and rpis... :?

I guess what I'm really saying is if we're going to pick our energy battles, arguing for turning the pi or cell phones off at the wall is a battle of attrition and not really something to campaign upon, rather I would want to encourage the use of cleaner energy sources (mainly solar and even nuclear, wind energy devastates the environment via erosion and kills massive amounts of migratory birds annually).

*whew* y'all got me on a bit of a soapbox there. I'll get down and get me hat now. :lol:

Humorously, I couldn't find one I actually liked so I'm opting for just a reset button to save wear and tear whenever I freeze up my pi (which I must confess happens somewhat regularly :P )
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lob0426 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:05 am
Actually 70% of all people leave millions of wall plugs and such plugged in all the time. Each of them can use 2 to 10 watts while not being used. So the one you (and I :roll: ) leave plugged in actually eat 100's of millions of watts PER HOUR. New standards are being written as we speak to address this very issue. Future wall warts will shut down totally when not in use. It is not that they use a lot of power each there are just 100's of millions of them in the U.S. alone.

Think about all of the LED displays that are in your house. Alarm Clocks, VCR, DVD, Microwave, Stove, Bread Machine, Stereo etc. etc. etc.. Each of those use a couple of watts each and we all have about 10+ of them in our homes.

2 watts x 24hours x 365=17520watts (17.5Kw) x .115 (11.5 cents Kw) = $2.01 x number of devices with LED displays. Not much $20 to $30 per year. Times 300 million households.

@Abishur: Climb right back on that there soap box. I am not part of the Green party or the Sierra Club FYI before you start. I like my 42" T.V. too. Every round out of my LR.308 AP4 carbine from DPMS creates more Co2 than your RasPi will next year. And the Corvette,,, well you get the point. :lol: :roll:

by abishur » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 pm
Lob0426 wrote:...Every round out of my LR.308 AP4 carbine from DPMS creates more Co2 than your RasPi will next year. And the Corvette,,, well you get the point. :lol: :roll:

That last sentence was really my point ;-)

According to the US Energy Information Administration, each person (in the US as any rate) uses about 11,496 kWh per year

Source: http://205.254.135.7/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=97&t=3 (took monthly average and multiplied by 12)

I tried to find a legit source that gave hard facts about the energy consumption, but it ranged from a lot of sites saying "you should do it", to one site which claimed 870 kWh (7.5% of electricity use) were used annually per household by electronics during standby, and another which claimed 10% to 15% of our electricity use was "vampire" power... but when you research what all they're counting, it turns out they include the AC unit, the garage door opener, the microwave, the water heater, and the fridge in addition to the TV, DVD player, video game consoles, and cell phone chargers. They also then went on to say it accounts for only 1% of the global pollutants (well man generated pollutants at any rate).

I'm not a green movement guy myself either, but I do believe in doing my (reasonable) part to take care of the environment. I think it's a good idea to limit power consumption of standby devices, but I also believe that people are padding the numbers to make it seem like vampire power is a bigger threat than it really is when they use one of the biggest electrical sinks (the water heater) as part of their data. Yes there is vampire energy, but when compared to that figure of the total energy consumption per house hold, it's the least significant change. Even if everyone were to completely eliminate vampire energy there's 99% of the pollution left, it would be more efficient to start at the main culprits.

I could keep rambling on and on about this (and green things in general), but I'll wrap it up and summarize: Attacking power consumption by addressing vampire energy is like trying to save a man who's bleeding to death by putting a band-aid on his paper cut. Sure it's one more place he's bleeding, and it's a doosy of a paper cut to boot, but if you really want to stop the bleeding you need to address the main wound (which is actually how the energy is produced, not how much is consumed, but one issue at a time).

Anyways, just my 0.20kWh @ 0.10 cents per kWh worth (that's 2 cents for the mathematically challenged ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by rurwin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 pm
There's a good book I read a while ago called Time To eat The Dog? which makes some interesting calculations. Among which is that it is green to cycle to work only so long as you don't need a shower and you eat low-carbon foods such as potatoes. However if you take a shower and eat high-carbon foods such as hamburgers, then four adults in a car produces less carbon.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lob0426 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 pm
I know what you are saying. After all, I live in California. They are banning incandescent bulbs as they eat too much power and forcing us to replace them with compact fluorescents that pollute the landfills. Then charging extra to pay for the pollution control, while raising the power prices and costing us 400% more for the bulbs. Every time I have cut my power consumption they have raised my price per kilowatt. they are also going to ban any T.V. Over 32".

On demand water heaters have no "vampire energy". But the electric versions can only deliver a 60 degree rise at 2.5 gal. Per minute. And the people that have tried them say they do not reach that rise. Our water temperature is 55 degrees or about 115 degrees if you stay below the 2.5 gal per minute. To get decent hot water it takes two $600 units that I would never recover the expense from. There are only two of in the house. So far the best power savings I have gotten was a timer on the water heater by the way.

Back on topic. On the Lapdock I am going to put a small rocker switch into the power/data harness. I just do not like the idea of constantly plugging/unplugging the micro USB cable into the Lapdock or the RasPi. I would like to re-rig the display closed switch to cut the power instead, but that will be a later project. Waiting for a second RasPi to show up before I really start any major project. ordered one from RS but that could be a couple of months out. Supposedly Element 14 is opening up orders the middle of this month. So I will probably order another from them. I still have that router waiting right now. The only time I do not see anyone not needing a switch is for a 24/7 operation. A momentary switch, for resets, would save a lot of wear and tear on the power connector.

by ksangeelee » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:04 pm
abishur wrote:Attacking power consumption by addressing vampire energy is like trying to save a man who's bleeding to death by putting a band-aid on his paper cut.

Otherwise good analogy, but ultimately I got too distracted from the thread. How on earth did he end up with a major trauma and a paper cut?
by abishur » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:15 pm
ksangeelee wrote:
abishur wrote:Attacking power consumption by addressing vampire energy is like trying to save a man who's bleeding to death by putting a band-aid on his paper cut.

Otherwise good analogy, but ultimately I got too distracted from the thread. How on earth did he end up with a major trauma and a paper cut?

I'm glad you asked for it is truly a grisly tale that we should all take heed of. Johannes Peltz was a typical male in the American higher education system. Which is to say old enough to vote but not old enough to drink or pick a presidential candidate who Jon Stewart didn't support. He also tended to put off his assignments to the last minute, doubly so for his art class (which he found to be a colossal waste of time and money for a math major, but whatcha gonna do?). Sadly, on this day he found himself needing to construction a diorama of The Alamo (anyone outside my state of Texas remember that?) from construction paper. It was already 10 PM and the assignment was due at the stroke of midnight. In this state of heightened anxiety he failed to remember the warnings of his mother to never run with scissors nor did he bother to tie his shoelaces (as untied shoes is the current trend that everyone is following in order to stand out and be unique) As fate would have it as he was running he stepped squarely on his right shoe's shoelaces with his left foot's shoe. As he fell towards his demise he flailed about, desperately trying to find something to grab onto to stop his downward decent, only to run his hand across the fore mentioned construction paper (which as every knows in the realm of papers cuts is second in pain only to cutting yourself on cardboard). Distracted by the pain of the paper cut he tucked his arm holding the scissors inwardly and so he did fall upon them most grievously.

And that is how poor Johannes Peltz ended up with a major trauma wound and a paper cut. I hope we can all take from this cautionary tale the dangerous of following fashion trends, running with scissors, and using a politically biased comedy show to get your daily dose of news (you should used a politically biased newspaper or talk show host instead :lol: )
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lob0426 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 am
abishur wrote:The Alamo (anyone outside my state of Texas remember that?)

Yes was in San antonio about 6 years ago when my daughter graduated from the Air Force Basic. i like the version with John Wayne the best though. :lol: